The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cody Hodgson, Unforgotten Canuck

Yolo764

I was one of Cody's hugest supporters and absolutely loved what he did for Canada in the World Jrs. Far and above the MVP over Tavares in that one, they totally got it wrong.

Regardless, a young number 10 pick from 2008 was traded for a young number 13 pick from 2009. This happens in hockey and it's a very fair hockey trade, similar asset swap that addressed needs on both teams. You guys need to get over it. Obviously there was something, whatever it was, going on behind the scenes.

Say what you want about MG but he is not one to give up on someone or not give them a fair shot (Raymond anyone), or throw them under the bus, especially his highest draft choice ever. Having said that I think the usually diplomatic lawyer in MG had enough when he let comments slip about why Cody was traded. I believe that Cody did bring more problems than the rest of the team and it appears he had a tough time growing up and accepting a team culture, whether that had more to do with his father is non relevant. You can also forget about what the team had to say about him, they blow smoke up each other's arses all day long. It's politics. At the end of the day he was shipped out in order to better the Vancouver Canucks.

I would suggest all the butt hurt folk out there to accept that you do not manage the Canucks and that Cody is not yours to trade or hold on to. Also, give Kassian this year to prove himself. One benefit of the trade is we have a player that has one more year on his ELC, this is the year to start comparing him to Cody, not last year for all you meatballs that say he didn't deliver as expected.

Pahlsson was garbage in the playoffs, the plan sounded right but yet again we lacked scoring. He could have been acquired regardless of trading Cody or not if they really felt he was a liability. So what if he's sub par defensively, plenty of great players are, not like a rookie can improve on something right?

I love how he's called a cry baby and a whiner. "who does he think he is doing asking for more ice time as a rookie"

Any team management should be happy to have guys that are hungry to be on the ice as much as possible. Especially a guy that will obviously produce when given the extra minutes.

It makes me sick to hear you knobs talk about how Cody's dad and agent called crying about how he deserves more ice time. As for his agent of course he would call and say that, any Canuck fan could see he deserved it!

The part about his dad gets my goat, I've yet to see any quote from his family regarding his ice time.

Personally I hope the nucks and sabers meet in a do or die situation and Cody pumps the winner. I always was a fan and always will be, no matter what Gillis has to say about him.

I cringe to think how long it takes before I see Kassian is a bust.

I really hope this post is removed from the main board. The whole situation with Cody was bad right from the beginning. His injury was not dealt with well and AV just drove his foot right through his big mouth. Too many expectations for a challenging teams' #1 prospect.

Cody will be a very good player one day, but it was destined to be on another team.

The constent bashing of this young man is making fans look bad. Time to move on.

If Kassian turns out to be half as good as the homeboys think, it will be an acceptable trade.

I love how he's called a cry baby and a whiner. "who does he think he is doing asking for more ice time as a rookie"

Any team management should be happy to have guys that are hungry to be on the ice as much as possible. Especially a guy that will obviously produce when given the extra minutes.

It makes me sick to hear you knobs talk about how Cody's dad and agent called crying about how he deserves more ice time. As for his agent of course he would call and say that, any Canuck fan could see he deserved it!

The part about his dad gets my goat, I've yet to see any quote from his family regarding his ice time.

Personally I hope the nucks and sabers meet in a do or die situation and Cody pumps the winner. I always was a fan and always will be, no matter what Gillis has to say about him.

I cringe to think how long it takes before I see Kassian is a bust.

1. For almost all those highlight goals, he had to be wide-open to score.

2. He'll never be forgotten, just like how Grabner will never be forgotten. In that his name will be brought up when he gets hot.

3. The biggest positive was of course his goal against the Bruins. But that game to me emphasized our weaknesses more than our strengths. We got brutally manhandled. So perhaps Hodgson for Kassian made a bit of sense, even if it was a forced trade. We'll see.

4. This hit is almost never brought up when discussing Coho's brief time as a Canuck. He was playing a top-6 role at the time on the road. You're going to have to expect some of this:

You might knock his offensive potential as not being a Cody's level, but Kassian's a man. No way he lets Foligno do that to him.

Sure did.I think it had something to do with the ice time despite being a Canuck scoring machine in mid season.

VANCOUVER — We'll probably never know what hurt more for Cody Hodgson: being unhealthy or being maligned?

Right now he is neither, and right now is all Hodgson cares about.

Right now is better than anyone thought.

With 29 points in 49 games, including nine in nine before Hodgson's shootout winner Tuesday gave the Canucks a 3-2 win against the Edmonton Oilers, the 21-year-old is on pace to be the highest-scoring Vancouver rookie in nearly 20 years.

Hodgson already has more points than Selke Trophy-winning teammate Ryan Kesler had during his first full season in the National Hockey League in 2005-06. Hodgson has equalled by the All-Star break the 29 points Hart Trophy-winning teammate Henrik Sedin amassed in 2000-01. Barring injury, he'll soar past the 34 points Ted Lindsay Award-winning Daniel Sedin collected that same season in Vancouver.

So, let's just say Cody Hodgson is going to be a good NHL player. And let's admit also that in a picture broad enough to encompass Hodgson's gong-show season two years ago, when there was more real or imagined melodrama than anything on daytime television, his emergence is just short of stunning to everyone but him.

“I grew up with a lot of very good players in this league,” Hodgson said Tuesday before listing off fellow Toronto-area rinkrats like John Tavares, Steve Stamkos, Michael Del Zotto, Jeff Skinner, Alex Pietrangelo, PK Subban. “I knew when they had success [in the NHL], that some day when I was healthy and everything was worked out, I could play. And I just kind of kept that in the back of my mind. Eventually, I knew I could play.”

What bothers me more about these 'Huge Cody Hodgson Fans' coming out of the woodwork after the trade is that a lot of them have to admit that he didn't look all that great for the bulk of his time as a Canuck.

This 'Unforgotten Canuck' sure had a pretty forgettable time here, actually.

I would like to see a video of that other Calder candidate and then Calder nominee-Micheal Grabner.A lot of Canucks fans would like to also forget about Michael and the great shot he got with the Canucks-all 20 NHL games before being traded:

Couture, Skinner, Grabner round out Calder finalists

Grabner probably wasn't at the top of anyone's list of candidates for the Calder when he was waived by Florida at the end of training camp after being acquired from Vancouver during the offseason. Picked up by the Islanders and given an opportunity to see the ice regularly, Grabner quickly became part of their top line and regularly displayed the speed that won him the Bridgestone NHL Fastest Skater competition during All-Star Weekend. Grabner led all rookies with 6 shorthanded goals and finished third with 52 points.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=560231

I was one of Cody's hugest supporters and absolutely loved what he did for Canada in the World Jrs. Far and above the MVP over Tavares in that one, they totally got it wrong.

Regardless, a young number 10 pick from 2008 was traded for a young number 13 pick from 2009. This happens in hockey and it's a very fair hockey trade, similar asset swap that addressed needs on both teams. You guys need to get over it. Obviously there was something, whatever it was, going on behind the scenes.

Say what you want about MG but he is not one to give up on someone or not give them a fair shot (Raymond anyone), or throw them under the bus, especially his highest draft choice ever. Having said that I think the usually diplomatic lawyer in MG had enough when he let comments slip about why Cody was traded. I believe that Cody did bring more problems than the rest of the team and it appears he had a tough time growing up and accepting a team culture, whether that had more to do with his father is non relevant. You can also forget about what the team had to say about him, they blow smoke up each other's arses all day long. It's politics. At the end of the day he was shipped out in order to better the Vancouver Canucks.

I would suggest all the butt hurt folk out there to accept that you do not manage the Canucks and that Cody is not yours to trade or hold on to. Also, give Kassian this year to prove himself. One benefit of the trade is we have a player that has one more year on his ELC, this is the year to start comparing him to Cody, not last year for all you meatballs that say he didn't deliver as expected.

Archived