The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cody Hodgson, Unforgotten Canuck

Yolo764

The bottom line is that the trade was forced and that we did pretty well, considering. Nonetheless, haters will be haters.

I'm sure the op didn't intend on the Coho tribute to be a negative. But it will no doubt attract those who haven't yet beaten this overrated trade to death yet.

We didn't trade Neely. We didn't trade Bure. We traded Hodgson.

You know who else wasn't that great in the faceoff circle at the start of the year? Adam Henrique. But luckily, the NJD brass are patient with their rookies and Henrique was given lots of one on one time to work with Hall of Famer Adam Oates on his faceoffs skills. By the time playoffs came around, Henrique became one of the go-to faceoff choices for NJD.

The bottom line is that the trade was forced and that we did pretty well, considering. Nonetheless, haters will be haters.

I'm sure the op didn't intend on the Coho tribute to be a negative.

We didn't trade Neely. We didn't trade Bure. We traded Hodgson.

Say what you want but like the Twins and Mayray, Cody didn't have and would never have "pushback" Don't get me wrong he is/was tough..............we don't have ANY soft players at this team. Nearly all of us complained at one time or another about this come the playoffs and MG did something about it.

Why not Mayray then? I here many of you shout. To that I would say this. MG would never ditch a recovering player, it is not good, team moral wise and it doesn't make good business sense.

Also, I doubt at that time there was a team who would take him except as a "makeweight" like we took Reinprecht.

Lastly, I genuinely think the belief is that a fit Mason Raymond would be a bigger asset to us than Cody. MG has always said he values speed and let's face it Cody was not the quickest.

Some of my earliest posts were defending Cody vehemently prior to the 2010 season against the usual one eyed views expressed on here. The same "bag of pucks" stuff still circulating about other fine players on these boards today. The irony is I wonder how many who said Cody was a lost cause then are on here now berating MG for trading him?

He did not.

When did Pahlsson lead the Canucks on a run?

Gillis was God when he traded for Erhoff, re-signed Burrows, re-signed the Twins, signed Hamhuis, signed Malhotra, signed Torres, picked up Higgins at the deadline, picked up Lapierre at the deadline.

Lets face it; Gillis was starting to make bad decisions. On face value Booth was a great return for Samuelsson (and ?). But Booth was another LW when we were stacked at this position, and we lost a play maker for Kesler and Raymond and a guy who could step up with the Twins. We let Torres go and yes we do miss his size and speed. We did not replace Malhotra. We lost Erhoff, and where I dont blame him for this circumstance, it was big. We have replaced his scoring, but not his ability to break pressure moving the puck. And no, as Kassian did not help us, where Hodgson was becoming a clutch scorer and valuable depth centre.

I would respect MG more if he simply owned up to trading Hodgson for futures up front. Yes Gillis did state it was about creating "balance" for the play off's.

I missed the quote where Gillis claimed Kassian was the "difference maker in the playoffs". Would be interested to see that one.

He more than replaced Hodgson. What he failed to do was replace Daniel Sedin and Kesler, and Dan Hamhuis and Kesler (amongst others) the playoffs before...s

I'll happily give him another couple chances.

Arguing that CoHo was adequately replaced by Pahlsson looks good at first glance.

Sure,he is a defensively responsible veteran but Pahlsson bolted to MODO so that argument is bogus to begin with.

Kassian is not a center man and there is no proven third line center on this team to start the season.

In reality,nobody replaced Hodgson and two fourth rounders are gone,along with Pahlsson and CoHo.

Canuck Surfer nailed it.We have a loss of face that is not beIng acknowledged and in typical lawyer fashion there was an offensive instead of recognition of failure,IMO.

CDC really needed another one of these threads.

The Canucks had and still have more depth at center than they did and do at right wing - and happened to land a premier young power forward /right winger at the position they have the least depth - Gillis got better than appropriate value.

The rest of your post is also denial.

Pahlsson was an upgrade, and Schroeder will more than fill the third line role (if the Canucks don't add another center in a Luongo deal) now that the slow, defensively challenged, rookie who lacked grit and respect for the veterans on his club, got what he wanted and was shipped back east. The Canucks just drafted another two promising young centers as well (as did Buffalo, who were still looking for the "right centerman" after Hodgson disappointed, so, who are we missing here?

Based on WHAT?

-Draft spot: Hodgson, 10th; Gaunce, 25th:

-Freshman Year in OHL: Hodgson, 46 points; Gaunce, 36 points

-Sophomore Year in OHL: Hodgson, 85 points; Gaunce, 68 points

-Best Leadership Skills as voted by coaches: Hodgson

-Smartest Player as voted by coaches: Hodgson

-THN Top Young Prospect: Hodgson

Your homerism is baffling even on a forum full of homerism. Let's hear why you think that Brendan Gaunce, who projects as a 3rd line C, is someone with a brighter future than Cody Hodgson, who's already worked himself up to being the #1 C on Buffalo.

Archived