The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cody Hodgson, Unforgotten Canuck

Yolo764

I am sure the OP meant otherwise,as well,but the Hodgson haters always turn out.

Your bottom line doesn't follow the actual events of reality.

Gillis.org were offered up many players for Hodgson at the trade deadline and when they were offered Kassian they took him.

That is how Gillis explained the trade.

We traded Neely,Bure,Hodgson and Grabner-notice the pattern yet?

Your homerism is baffling even on a forum full of homerism. Let's hear why you think that Brendan Gaunce, who projects as a 3rd line C, is someone with a brighter future than Cody Hodgson, who's already worked himself up to being the #1 C on Buffalo.

That is one of the most absurd comments I have read regarding Hodgson. Evidently you paid no attention to how seriously he struggled in Buffalo to end the season - got the ice time he thought he was ready for, got exposed, could not score, was a steady minus player and absolutely absent in his own end of the ice (on a team that as a whole was making a strong run at the playoffs) - his GM wound up making comments that he is still looking for the "right centerman".

People here need to get ahold of themselves.

Reminds me of people in a bad breakup, dwelling over their ex- girlfriend/boyfriend.

Enough already.

Stop dwelling in the past.

Stop wondering what could have been.

Its not healthy.

Move on.

I wasn't a fan of the trade initially.

I thought value could have been slightly better, as well as timing.

But, I really doubt MG wanted to trade Hodgson, unless he really had to.

I think as a GM he was proud to have his first pick, finally make an impact on this team.

If the player is unhappy and potentially wants out what are you supposed to do?

Its a problem that won't simply go away.

If word got out that he wanted out, then what?

Watch his trade value decrease?

IMO, Gillis made the best out of a bad situation.

Overall, I'm fine with the trade.

Please, the guy's a 22 year-old rookie. 8 points in 20 games was unimpressive, yes, but you need to dig a little deeper. He had 51 shots over those 21 games. He was involved.

Nope, I don't care about Moneyball-wannabe stats that aren't applicable to a game of hockey, which is far more team rather than individually dependent.

You're saying, then, that your answer to my question is that you'd rather start your franchise with Kassian over Hodgson?

Hank only has 2 more years left under contract and has already shown signs of decline. I would not be surprised at all if the Sedin's retire at that point - in other words, when Cody Hodgson will be a mere 24 years of age.

Do you look yourself in the mirror every morning and try to convince yourself of these things?

How was it an "obvious conclusion" that either he or Kesler had to be moved? Kesler's played wing in the past, and like I said above, Hank's showing signs of decline and could well retire in 2 years. Suck it up. I mean, sh!t, are you suggesting that Pittsburgh should just go and trade Gino Malkin, too, since they already have a #1 C? Maybe send him to the Leafs, for Lupul, who's friends with Sid?

As for Gaunce, please, you've got to be kidding. "Far better attributes and will make a much better fit" than the guy who so many called our first real "franchise player" since Linden was drafted. Good luck with that.

I remember the hype over acquiring a 228 lb winger who CDC'ers dreamed would thrash Lucic as our play off saviour. But I also remember the image of Kassian eating Nacho's in the press box. And then the thread surfaced earlier this summer questioning the wisdom of him training himself back to 212 or 215 lb's we now see in training video's and commercials posted online. Put the two together, and its obvious Kassian was out of shape and not the guy we should have taken; if this trade was really about a push to win the cup. The facts are this; that was what we were sold when the trade was made. This was a bold move, but we lost in the first round and MG's moves at the deadline did little to help us. If the trade was about something different, we should have been told at the time.

As a Canuck fan; I reserve the right to call B.S. I also take solace in that it will still turn around. It does not make me less a fan. I'll just say some fans blind faith is equal parts admirable, and gullible!

MG should have stood up on trade day and said, "hey look, over the last 3 years we have had trouble getting all the right things done with Hodgson, and there are still some issues. So even though he's starting to look promising, we are making a decision to move on to a different prospect who has the potential to help us...!" Instead, you know what he told us?

And my message for those who hate these threads; just ask Gillis to be a straight shooter. He's still a very good GM, but that is what we loved about Burke.

I haven't gone back and and poured through the evidence but I think you got the wrong impression. What I got from MG that is was a move for the future and also hopefully it would benefit us in the present.

I don't think the general message is that it was done for a cup run. That was further evidenced by picking up Pahlsson before that trade showing that Cody wouldn't have been playing 3rd line center anyway. If you look at that way Kassian helped us more than Cody would have from the pressbox.

He was an undersized rookie. If you're seriously concerned him being a "defensive liability", you have a VERY short-sighted view of things. Hank Sedin isn't exactly Pavel Datsyuk is his own zone - problem?

First of all, you're putting words in my mouth. I said that a LOT of people had pegged Hodgson as the next Linden. That's the truth. The Hart winners that you've referenced didn't turn into franchise players until 2009 (at age 29), after being drafted a decade earlier. Henrik effectively came out of nowhere that year to win. Prior to that, they were even borderline 1st line players, and they were nearly lost to the Maple Leafs that very summer.

In two years, they'll be 34. They're very rich. They're family men. Especially if the Canucks (as I expect them to) take a dive over the next couple of years, I would not be shocked in the least if they were to retire. TBH, they don't really strike me as "for the love of the game" type of guys, much in the way that Naslund wasn't.

Why should he be satisfied with 3rd line minutes? The whole city could see that he deserved more. The whole city could see how good he was, and how productive he was. Why can't Kesler be either put on the wing, or traded himself? Why trade Cody?

And your argument above just supports my stance that it was dumb to trade him. Heck, if he's not "prototypical" enough for you, as a 3rd line C (which is BS, by the way), put Kesler back there. To say that Gillis' hands were tied is hogwash. His hands are tied NOW, with the goaltending situation, and he has nobody for that to blame but himself. But make no mistake, he was not forced to move Cody Hodgson.

Not anymore, it's not. Gillis had his fun at the "goaltending goldrush", expected it to last forever, chose to sit on two "A" goalies, and now one has asked out, who has an NTC, who controls where he goes, leaving Gillis in the worst negotiating position imaginable.

If it's "a crisis of riches" to you that we're going to be picking from scraps for an elite goaltender at a reasonable cap value long-term, OK, I'm more inclined to call it a management error to have put himself in this position to begin with.

Archived