The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cody Hodgson, Unforgotten Canuck

Yolo764

Wow, so he got hit against Ottawa, what's your point? Kesler got KO'd by Ladd, and he moved on just fine. Daniel got KO'd by Keith, he looked fine in the playoffs. I'm sure that wasn't the first time that someone caught Cody Hodgson with his head down, in all of his years of hockey.

Yes, he would've been just fine against Boston. It actually must've been hurting him to watch the team struggle to score so bad, so obviously, while guys like Tanner Glass and Victor Oreskovich are still actually dressing for games.

I still call B.S. on the whole Hodgson is a whiner, baby, etc. This guy was praised for his leadership and class throughout his entire life from all of his junior hockey coaches and teammates and he suddenly gains an ego? If anything, it was the fault of both sides that caused this trade.

Wasn't it obvious that the players has been told not to retaliate? Should I post the picture of Daniel taking the several punches to the face?

I've said recently in this thread that Cody was and is one of my favorite players. If he had stuck with the team and worked his way up instead of conducting himself the way he did, he WOULD have been our captain one day.

Glass and Oreskovich HIT, in their fourth line roles. They did what they were told. Defensively though, they were better than Cody. Need I post the goal in game 2 where he screened his own goalie?

I'm not breaking balls I'm defending what MG did with the trade and what AV did by not playing Cody in the SCF. Hodgson would have been in way over his head and hey, maybe it would have been him with the fractured vertebrae and not Raymond. How bout that?

Cody was the least physical player on the entire team at that point and to put him in a fourth line role would have been the worst idea thinkable....which is why, as you know, he wasn't put in that position.

What part of Cody wanted to play close to his family, with top line minutes, can't you piece together?

You keep trying to argue with failed logic and then you jump over to another point that is then proven to be a fallacy, then you jump to another, which is proven so on and so forth.

Get over it. He didn't want to play here. frack...

At the time, he WAS a one dimensional rookie...he was -4 with one point in three series...what the hell do you think he was at that point? You do remember what we were talking about right? The decision not to play him in the SCF??? Seriously, the attention span of the average CDC member is laughable.

What I don't see is how Hodgson was going to improve the 4th line's ability to fulfill their role as a physical, energy unit. We all understand that you don't like Oreskovich (or Glass) and you'd rather have seen Hodgson on the ice, Can you give us some specifics as to just how you believe he was going to turn it all around?

Something more than, "Well, he couldn't do any worse!" would be appreciated. :)

Daniel retaliated the playoffs before, in 2010, when we lost in the second round to Chicago for the second time...Which garnered himself and Dave a penalty. The following year, clearly they were told to turn the other cheek...even if it was the result of a punch to the face....

I state again, the attention span of CDC......

OK, fine.

Speaking of decisions, and with the knowledge that you are having GREAT DIFFICULTY generating any sort of offense against the Bruins (specifically, beating Tim Thomas), don't you think that the risk:reward equation of playing Cody Hodgson is favorable when compared to Victor Oreskovich? One guy has offensive gifts, one guy does not. One guy could be useful especially on the PP, one guy could not. The upside of playing Cody Hodgson, at that point, and actually trying to use his talents, rather than sending him out for a shift or two on the 4th line each period, would've been far greater than the "loss" of Victor Oreskovich's physical play. We're not beating Boston in a contest of physical play, anyway, so why not try to beat them in skill, where we'd have a slight edge?

We've already been through the offensive upside of Cody, at that point. He started the 2010-2011 playoffs on the third line in an OFFENSIVE ROLE, and FAILED. He had one point through three playoff series.

You're going to put me in the loony bin if you don't start actually remembering the things we are debating. Is it on purpose or are you just forgetful? You can tell me.

Game 2: http://www.nhl.com/s...11/TH030152.HTM 10 minutes and 33 seconds

Game 3: http://www.nhl.com/s...11/TH030155.HTM 11 minutes and 45 seconds

With that line proving to be ineffective and a liability, Cody was then moved to the fourth line where he got fourth line minutes, leading to being benched in the SCF.

It's becoming clearer with every post, that you have no idea what you're talking about. Cody's dad? Agent? Gary Roberts? Is that you?

You've offered a 2-game sample, and over those 22 total minutes, 1 was spent on the PP. I think it's premature for production at those type of minutes to be called "ineffective and a liability". Don't you? Does 2 games and 11 minutes of TOI, without PP time, sound like a fair shot to give an offense-first rookie? Can you really draw lasting conclusions from this type of data?

I have no idea what I'm talking about, huh? Who are you? Gillis' son? Nephew? To think that we've somehow won this trade requires a serious level of homerism (and delusion).

A fair shot? He was a rookie in the stanley cup playoffs. You think his development was more important than the success of the team? He started the playoffs on the third line in an offensive role, and was put on the fourth line with less minutes because the line wasn't working. He wasn't ready for that role, yet.

Where did I draw a lasting conclusion? You claimed that his ineffective play was due to only playing 6 minutes a game, so I provided you with the information.

OK, so you're now saying that he wasn't ready. That is VERY different than saying that he was "ineffective". "Ineffective" assumes that he was ready and simply didn't produce.

I don't necessarily disagree with you that he wasn't ready, but I still a lot more potential upside, in a situation where we're in need of offense, to playing Hodgson versus playing Oreskovich.

Archived