38 replies to this topic

#1 VANFAN101

VANFAN101

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:22 PM

Darren Dreger reports that the NHL salary cap could go down to $58 million for this season and then will steadly increase until it reaches $71 million in 2017. This is what is being proposed.

How can the NHL suddenly cut the salary cap? I honestly dont get it since there are a bunch of teams in the NHL (including our Canucks) who are over $58 million. What will they have to do to get under the cap? And most importantly what does this mean for the Canucks?

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger

#2 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:24 PM

salary rollback

ex. H. Sedin makes $6.1 M now.... would be rolled back to $5 M or something around there
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#3 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:41 PM

It doesn't mean anything. It's all relative.

If player salaries go down with the cap then we'll have just as much room.

#4 VanCityScout

VanCityScout

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:50 PM

well... we are going to see all about this in like 5 or less days...

my guess.. the players will take an insignificant pay cut..and head shots...will STILL be an on ice decision..

for the lub of baby jeebus!!

#5 winthecup

winthecup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:54 PM

I heard no salary roll-back in the latests proposition by the owners. The salary cap would be reduced, so teams would have to find a way to comply. That being said, I doubt the players take this deal. When all said and done I bet the salary cap for 2012/2013 will be in the $62-$65 Million range.
What it will mean...certain contracts will have to be bought out or dumped.....Luongo will be off the books (his return will not be as much as hoped for-prospects/picks) Other contracts like Ballards and Malhotra will have to be moved or bought out.

#6 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:09 PM

No way they would reduce the cap without reducing players salaries. That would create such a mess.

It would force teams like the Canucks to trade away players for next to nothing to teams that need to reach the cap floor.

#7 vancouvercanucks#1

vancouvercanucks#1

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:15 PM

sucks for people with ocd, salaries are gonna be all screwed up

i am so sick of don cherry. get him the hell off ...hes way past his expiry date. I'm trying to watch hockey I don't want some senile blowhard talking about respecting baby jesus's birthday and not taking the lord's name in vain.

#8 Super_Canuck

Super_Canuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:04 PM

POPULAR

What the F is your problem Bettman? Why can't you keep the same deal that you got right now? You cancelled a whole F'en year to get this current deal, and now it's still not good enough? The cap is going up every year 'cause league revenues are going up, which means the NHL is making money, so what's your problem?

Us fans are sick and tired of your BS. We just want a damn season! Players salaries are not the issue, YOU are the problem! The NHL is losing money in places where you decided put teams where people don't even know what a puck is! Your decisions to put teams in non-traditional markets is what's hurting the league and those markets are dragging down the high revenue teams with them. Move PHX, CBJ, FLA, NYI to places where people want hockey and you're laughing. Don't try to make the players pay for your mistakes!

you know what Gary? frack u man! Just leave, please leave the NHL, GTFO!

Edited by Super_Canuck, 28 August 2012 - 10:31 PM.

#9 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:14 PM

Maybe they might roll back the cap hit but not salaries. So contracts already signed would not be affected. Or there might be a buy out of 2 or 3 contracts per team.

Its all guess work right now. They are still fighting over what is HRR and who gets what % of it.

#10 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,365 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:14 PM

Luongo for a 7th. We need more cap space.

Ballard for future considerations.

It must be done. We lose all bargaining power and have to deal for peanuts to comply with cap.

100 trades in a month.

Subbancopy.jpg

#11 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:17 PM

If there is no salary roll back than the Weber, Suter, Parise deals will be catastrophic. Maybe that is what the owners deserve but still. We would have to dump Luongo, Ballard, Booth, Raymond and Malhotra to get under the cap comfortably. We would not be in the worst position though.

#12 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:32 PM

What the F is your problem Bettman? Why can't you keep the same deal that you got right now? You cancelled a whole F'en year to get this current deal, and now it's still not good enough? The cap is going up every year 'cause league revenues are going up, which means the NHL is making money, so what's your problem?

Us fans are sick and tired of your BS. We just want a damn season! Players salaries are not the issue, YOU are the problem! The NHL is losing in places where you decided put teams where people don't even know what a puck is! Your decisions to put teams in non-traditional markets is what's hurting the league and those markets are dragging down the high revenue teams with them. Move PHX, CBJ, FLA, NYI to places where people want hockey and you're laughing. Don't try to make the players pay for your mistakes!

That is what I don't get. They wasted a whoele year last lockout to get this deal made, and now it is not good enough? Why not just sign an extension for the same CBA and keep the same terms?
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#13 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:35 PM

Us fans are sick and tired of your BS. We just want a damn season! Players salaries are not the issue, YOU are the problem! The NHL is losing money in places where you decided put teams where people don't even know what a puck is! Your decisions to put teams in non-traditional markets is what's hurting the league and those markets are dragging down the high revenue teams with them. Move PHX, CBJ, FLA, NYI to places where people want hockey and you're laughing. Don't try to make the players pay for your mistakes!

Well said my friend
Posted Image

#14 1nf1n1ty

1nf1n1ty

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:06 PM

Current salary for players gets turned into a % of the teams total cap.

Decrease in salary cap would just cause the players salary to decrease by the same %

80'84': The Dynasty
After the Islanders' regular season dominance and playoff disappointment in 79', Arbour decided that he would no longer concern himself too greatly with his team's finish in the regular season. He focused his team on how they would perform in the playoffs. The Islanders dropped below the 100-point mark for the first time in five years, but they finally broke through and won 4 Stanley Cups.

#15 dorrcoq

dorrcoq

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:25 PM

You obviously have no clue if you think Bettman is anything more than a puppet for a bloc of owners.

#16 kebih22

kebih22

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:50 PM

There are no salary roll backs...the excess money over the cap will be put into escrow (i.e. a third party holding company)...untouchable by the offending party until they are compliant.

#17 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:56 AM

You go to hell Bettman, you go to hell and you die! -- sincerly, Mr. Garrison. :bigblush:

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

#18 Peter Gunn

Peter Gunn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:32 AM

There are no salary roll backs...the excess money over the cap will be put into escrow (i.e. a third party holding company)...untouchable by the offending party until they are compliant.

I totally agree, I think, but could you be a little more, actually a lot more specific.

#19 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:23 AM

Darren Dreger reports that the NHL salary cap could go down to $58 million for this season and then will steadly increase until it reaches $71 million in 2017. This is what is being proposed.

How can the NHL suddenly cut the salary cap? I honestly dont get it since there are a bunch of teams in the NHL (including our Canucks) who are over $58 million. What will they have to do to get under the cap? And most importantly what does this mean for the Canucks?

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger

Was the last lockout really so long ago that people don't remember what was done with salaries?????

:picard:
Posted Image

#20 Dancin'Droid

Dancin'Droid

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:48 AM

Well said, couldn't have done it better.

DancingAndroidYellow-1.gif

2013 Kent Jr. Football Champion

2014 Bronze Boot

2014 Kent Sr. Football Champion

2014 SWOSSA Football Finalist 

#21 CowtownCanuck

CowtownCanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:15 AM

Billionares denying millionares money. They need to let the cap continue to crawl up slowly, if they weren't happy, it's a problem of their own making.

#22 StenMan.EXE

StenMan.EXE

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:21 AM

Wasn't the whole point, or the very least "main" point, of the salary cap was to stop with all the insanely large/expensive contracts???

#23 ridehard1212

ridehard1212

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:31 AM

Billionares denying millionares money. They need to let the cap continue to crawl up slowly, if they weren't happy, it's a problem of their own making.

I have to agree here.. even the teams that are losing money right now.. The owners must be smart enough to have enough $$ to purchase the team in the first place? So if the said team is not making any money then it was a bad investment.. figure out how to change that or cut your losses.. The players signed a contract and will get paid the full amount.. and if revenue is increasing profits should also be increasing, and if they are not then the owners need to look at ways to cut there costs.. maybe slow down the rate that the cap is increasing and move the 2/3 teams that are really hurting.. but I do not agree with dropping the cap..
I dont give a rat arz about my spelling/grammer mistakes,get over it and up urs if it bothers u!!!!

#24 ridehard1212

ridehard1212

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:33 AM

Instead of Gary trying to screw the players.. he should take his head out of the sand(to put it nicely) and allow a few teams to move locations..
I dont give a rat arz about my spelling/grammer mistakes,get over it and up urs if it bothers u!!!!

#25 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:11 AM

Was the last lockout really so long ago that people don't remember what was done with salaries?????

:picard:

Yes...............when 80% of the members are only 15
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#26 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:11 AM

You obviously have no clue if you think Bettman is anything more than a puppet for a bloc of owners.

Sadly too many just don't understand this
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#27 JohnTavares

JohnTavares

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,755 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:57 AM

If there is no salary roll back than the Weber, Suter, Parise deals will be catastrophic. Maybe that is what the owners deserve but still. We would have to dump Luongo, Ballard, Booth, Raymond and Malhotra to get under the cap comfortably. We would not be in the worst position though.

No, just Luongo, Ballard and maybe Malhotra. Simple math too hard?

EHL: Detroit Red Wings

medium.png

#28 bluesman60

bluesman60

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:05 AM

I heard no salary roll-back in the latests proposition by the owners. The salary cap would be reduced, so teams would have to find a way to comply. That being said, I doubt the players take this deal. When all said and done I bet the salary cap for 2012/2013 will be in the $62-$65 Million range.
What it will mean...certain contracts will have to be bought out or dumped.....Luongo will be off the books (his return will not be as much as hoped for-prospects/picks) Other contracts like Ballards and Malhotra will have to be moved or bought out.

I think that the teams that are over will be allowed to pay the fines for being over the cap....that money will be used to bail out teams like Pheonix. If the NHL suddenly decided to renege on signed contracts, why would any player in the league honour the agreement that they signed? If you can randomly break a players contract, why can't any team or player also randomly break the CBA? In a nutshell, a signed contract is an ironclad agreement that is worthless without the trust that the other side will honour the terms.

Edited by bluesman60, 29 August 2012 - 11:09 AM.

#29 EvoLu7ioN

EvoLu7ioN

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:11 AM

Let's get one thing straight, the players are NOT going to agree to a CBA with a huge drop in salary cap without rollbacks. If the cap dropped to 58M without rollbacks/other significant transition rules then there would be 100+ players who would find themselves playing in the minors or bought out.

Edited by EvoLu7ioN, 29 August 2012 - 11:12 AM.

Posted Image

#30 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,941 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:25 AM

A lot of teams seem to have put in a self-made salary cap in anticipation of this happening.

A few teams are screwed. Minny and Boston come to mind.

We're affected, but it will only mean the return for Luongo will be nothing. This might have been inevitible. Kesler being on LTIR to start the season helps. Gillis and Gilman have worked cap ceiling magic before, so i'm not worried.

Teams that benefit are largely the same ones that benefitted from the last lockout. Carolina comes to mind.

But let's wait until we know what's really going to happen. Dreger as a pychic lately has been 'meh' at best.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.