The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you honestly believe we improved enough?

Bossy

The D is not at all better. I don't know how any reasonable person can suggest that Jason Garrison + whatever scrub (Tanev, maybe, or Alberts) gets 6th D duties will give us more value than Sami Salo and Aaron Rome will. This debate has been beaten to death, so I won't go into it, but I'll just say that I expect people to miss Salo A LOT as the season progresses. Rome, too, was an underrated, reliable guy. Both will be missed.

Meh...must be a slow summer.

I'm not too concerned as Bettman says no season if CBA not reached by Sept 15th. I think they want a lockout just to prove who has the muscle. It will be a shortened season with very little pre-season to get players and fans onboard again. I hope I'm wrong.

In any case...I'm pretty sure MG knows that there are still holes to fill. No sense in signing/trading someone just for the sake of it.

I think Garrison will be a suitable replacement for Salo. That said...like many others here have mentioned...we need more scoring depth. A top 6 forward, a 3rd line centre, a backup goalie (when either Lu or Schneids gets traded), and an enforcer are my wishlist.

I don't that we're significantly better than last year.

But I'm more certain that we didn't get worse.

-Salo is a shell of former self. He's too old. Not overpaying to resign was the right move.

We have a younger upgrade in Garrison.

-A full off-season of training for Malholtra and Raymond, both coming off serious injuries.

If either has a return to form. That's a small improvement.

-With a full training camp and enough time to adapt to systems, Booth might surprise some.

-Potential youngsters making the team in Schroeder, Kassian, Jensen...

-While unlikely, there still is a small chance Doan signs here.

Some people need to be more realistic.

One does not SIMPLY acquire a #1, franchise defenceman.

And if you somehow do, you are going to pay a hefty price.

Some people....

We have yet to hear Gillis, Vignault or any Canuck player even once refer to Schnieder as the number one goalie of this team. There hasnt been a single line in any interview... nothing. Not once. I think its rather odd that after all this time theyve yet to proclaim it. Its premature for those on these boards to jump the gun here and think Luongo is completely out of the picture.

We just signed Eddie Lack... the guy has as promising a future as any goalie we've ever drafted. I dont think Schnieders future is even in the clear here.

I don't know that we really improved much if at all, but we didn't get worse. Last season was a season with terrible bad luck. First to have the deaths of Rypien and Demitra and the aftermath of the Finals and the riot all casting a real dark cloud over the team, and the reverberations of all the dislike and hate that got stirred up in the course of so much winning, then to have our best scorer out for the first round, and to end up drawing a team in the eight seed that was considered a top contender before the season and was on fire hitting the playoffs, right when we needed to be strongest we were at our weakest, and facing a real tough sleeper opponent, not to even mention the goaltending drama and the fans and media turning on the team with the league's best record, for no real good reason, the constant doubt and negativity...take that away, the roster is fine, the roster is one of the best in the league. Fortune and peripherals, confidence and positive energy are what we need more than any sort of roster addition and would make for the biggest possible improvement.

wait and see.... the negotiations need to be done so Gillis knows what limits he has to work under, we won't know until the trade is made, the agents are signed, how our rookies are developing and how camp went...

I don't.

Garrison is another unproven Florida player who probably wont work out like booth. His contract is huge and there is a possibility he could just flop.

We still have both Luongo and Schneider here and we cannot win with that much value (Not even contract numbers, if you transferred the value of each player to another position we'd be in so much better shape. Players don't appear out of thin air, you have to give up value in one position to gain it somewhere else) wasted on a position where only one of them can make a difference in a game. Don't use the "insurance" argument because we all know that's bunk, we have to offload one of them and get stronger up front.

And talking about up front, our bottom 6 hasn't had much work done to it and it needs it. Out top 6 is the exact same as last season where scoring goals was an issue all season long. It's not a slump, our offense is lack luster.

Also, our defense still doesn't have that anchor. No one really leads the defense. Sure, Hamhius is great but he's not a cup winning #1 defenseman.

I don't see how we go from losing in 5 games in the first round to cup contenders if this is the team we go into the playoffs with.

You really want to play the "verbatim" card?

He was interviewed in Vegas. He said that "everyone knows of the situation and that it's best to move on", or something to that extent. His NTC comments were revealing enough, and what was said in Vegas was the proverbial nail in the coffin, if one was even needed. He's played his last game as a Canuck. Schneider would not have signed here if Luongo was coming back. Eddie Lack wouldn't have gotten a 1-way deal in year two if Luongo was coming back.

Seriously, connect the dots.

Archived