The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you honestly believe we improved enough?

Bossy

I don't.

Garrison is another unproven Florida player who probably wont work out like booth. His contract is huge and there is a possibility he could just flop.

We still have both Luongo and Schneider here and we cannot win with that much value (Not even contract numbers, if you transferred the value of each player to another position we'd be in so much better shape. Players don't appear out of thin air, you have to give up value in one position to gain it somewhere else) wasted on a position where only one of them can make a difference in a game. Don't use the "insurance" argument because we all know that's bunk, we have to offload one of them and get stronger up front.

And talking about up front, our bottom 6 hasn't had much work done to it and it needs it. Out top 6 is the exact same as last season where scoring goals was an issue all season long. It's not a slump, our offense is lack luster.

Also, our defense still doesn't have that anchor. No one really leads the defense. Sure, Hamhius is great but he's not a cup winning #1 defenseman.

I don't see how we go from losing in 5 games in the first round to cup contenders if this is the team we go into the playoffs with.

Garrison is unproven? He played a shutdown role in his first full year with Florida and broke out offensively last year while still being reliable defensively. Garrison makes our defense harder to play against as well as being a legitmate power play threat. Obviously Luongo will be dealt, but MG is taking his time and looking for the right deal, we have TONS of time to trade him, it's not like he's stuck with us forever if we can't trade him before the season starts. Plus our prospects will have a chance to show what they're made of this year. Who knows, if anyone surprises, Kassian could be a 40-50 point power forward, Schroeder could be a 2nd line playmaker, and Jensen could be a top 6 sniper. It could be too optimistic but who knows, only time will tell.

Nope. Our problem since the SCF loss has been lack of scoring in the playoffs and Idk how much we spend on D or acquire new faces on the blueline, but it will not make up for our lack of offense. Our 2nd line is just brutal in the playoffs, compared to teams that have won, and we need illegitimate 2nd line scoring to help - we literally have 1 true 2nd liner, Kesler....rest are more like 3rd liners and for Booth, he hasn't found his touch here. We also need depth cause injuries always hit us in the bum during post-season and lastly, we need a coach who can take his head out of his arsenal and play all 4 lines when in the post-season. [Edit]: Add to that, we still have 2 star goalies on the same team who are getting at least $4 million...only 1 can play, the other is on the bench and it is useless really, and we need either 1 to go, get a good return, and bulk up where we need help / a true scorer, and with our goalies, we can probably land a 1st liner if we trade one. Also, add that there's no use of Ballard if AV makes him sit in the press box and that his cap can be spent more wisely if that will be his fate, but, this is a new season, Salo and Rome are gone, so it seems Ballard will finely be a regular - fit that into coaching/AV problems.

...Honest opinion, not saying I'm right, but what I feel.

The team could definitely use some work. I think our D actually looks pretty strong with the addition of Garrison, but up front we need help.

Our biggest need is a 3rd line centre. Last year we had Hodgson and Pahlsson, this year it looks like we have either Manny (IF he regains his old form) or Schroeder (IF he proves he's ready for the show). Those are two huge ifs.

Also, a winger to round out the top 6 would be very nice. Higgins could be good, but he probably won't set the world on fire and he seems to play so well in a 3rd line role. Maybe Shane Doan will sign here.

Another smaller thing I would like is some more help to round out the 4th line. I would to have a full line of actual NHL regulars rather than our current revolving door. Who knows, maybe one of our current fringe guys will really step up and earn a full time spot.

Keep in mind, I'm expecting some pieces from the Luongo trade which will hopefully round out our lineup and turn us into a more dominant team.

I don't.

Garrison is another unproven Florida player who probably wont work out like booth. His contract is huge and there is a possibility he could just flop.

We still have both Luongo and Schneider here and we cannot win with that much value (Not even contract numbers, if you transferred the value of each player to another position we'd be in so much better shape. Players don't appear out of thin air, you have to give up value in one position to gain it somewhere else) wasted on a position where only one of them can make a difference in a game. Don't use the "insurance" argument because we all know that's bunk, we have to offload one of them and get stronger up front.

And talking about up front, our bottom 6 hasn't had much work done to it and it needs it. Out top 6 is the exact same as last season where scoring goals was an issue all season long. It's not a slump, our offense is lack luster.

Also, our defense still doesn't have that anchor. No one really leads the defense. Sure, Hamhius is great but he's not a cup winning #1 defenseman.

I don't see how we go from losing in 5 games in the first round to cup contenders if this is the team we go into the playoffs with.

I don't.

Archived