The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you honestly believe we improved enough?

Bossy

Your smarmy response aside you have to admit that even in this post you haven't provided a "dot" you're flat out making an assumption based a comment. You're making the assumption that he "publicly asked for a trade" when what we know is he "publicly said if the team asked him to waive his NTC he'd do it." Unless you can point to something that isn't based on making an assumption I'm not sure what your argument is here.

VANCOUVER — Vancouver Canucks head coach Alain Vigneault let the cat out of the bag on French language TV: Goalie Roberto Luongo does indeed want a trade out of Vancouver.

Speaking over the telephone to a Montreal-based TVA Sports show called Le Match, Vigneault was asked if he agreed that Luongo needed a fresh start. (Vigneault was on the show Wednesday night to discuss his contract extension.)

“First of all, that is what he wants right now,” Vigneault said in the translated quote. “What we need to do is what's best for our organization and our team. We have to look at what's best for our organization and Roberto.”

You are probably right, but your assurances are based on speculation.

As for your comment about Luongo "sitting on the bench and playing every 8 games" is also speculation, and uneducated speculation at that. I'm pretty sure that MG can be quoted saying "If Luongo is on the team at the start of the season, him and CS would fight for starting position"

Luongo will win that fight all day long.

For those saying we have no chance or are going to lose in the first round again, which teams are better? Detroit and San Jose are on the decline. Chicago doesn't have goaltending, while Nashville and Phoenix have little else. St. Louis doesn't have offence. LA is probably the most complete team, but they won't have the same drive as they did this season and haven't made any improvements. I'd say we at least have as good a chance as any other team to come out of the West.

Also don't get how some people think we'd have been better off keeping Salo over Garrison while simultaneously complaining that Gillis doesn't make any changes. It's clear if you watched the team at all during the second half of the season that Salo cannot handle a top 4 role on a contender anymore. I would have loved to keep him on the bottom pairing, but the deal didn't make sense. We had to add a top 4 dman. We missed out on Schultz, weren't ever going to get Suter, so who would people have wanted instead? Wideman? Garrison has three seasons of incredibly solid defensive play under his belt. It's not like he's an unknown. He's not going to score 16 goals again, but 5-10 while adding good defensive ability and size is an upgrade over Salo, no matter how you try to spin it.

We could use a legit 2nd liner. It's our only glaring weakness right now. Doan is still a possibility, but if/when we don't get him there's still a chance we could get one in a Luongo deal. Kassian could also make an impact, but don't think it's too likely.

We don't need to get a 3rd line centre; we have the perfect candidate already in Maxim Lapierre. He was lights out during the 2011 playoff run in that spot. If they tried him there no reason to think he wouldn't excel. If he doesn't then you can look at upgrading at the deadline. Arnott doesn't fit; he's not a reliable defensive option at this stage in his career.

We're one big piece (top 6 winger) and a few depth players (easily acquired in season) away from being favourites. Don't think it's as drastic as everyone is making it out to be.

Two years ago we had a lot of forwards having career years, last year we didn't. One must not assume that Booth and Garrison are going to be busts when one has only been here for part of one season, and the other hasn't played a game for Vancouver yet.

I'll take the approach that Manny will get his game back, Booth and Garrison will be Booth and Garrison, the Twins, Kes and others will have bounce back seasons and some of the younger players will step up and play key roles.

There's also the Luongo and perhaps Doan situtation so all in all, I think this team has more talent and depth than ever, it's all a matter of putting it together, staying healthy and motivated.

Of course, looming over all this discussion is the dark shadow of the Bettman Lockout which makes any discussion in this or for that matter any other topic seem irrelevant, which totally pisses me off.

For those saying we have no chance or are going to lose in the first round again, which teams are better? Detroit and San Jose are on the decline. Chicago doesn't have goaltending, while Nashville and Phoenix have little else. St. Louis doesn't have offence. LA is probably the most complete team, but they won't have the same drive as they did this season and haven't made any improvements. I'd say we at least have as good a chance as any other team to come out of the West.

OK. Roberto didn't explicity come out and say that he wanted a trade. You're right. By saying what he did, I am assuming that he wants out. You're right.

I guess, though, that that means that you don't think Cody asked for a trade, or wanted out, either? He never publicly said that he asked for a trade. Those are just assumptions by most Canuck fans. This would lead, then, to your belief that Cody Hodgson for Zack Kassian was a straight-up hockey decision by Mike Gillis, right?

VANCOUVER — Vancouver Canucks head coach Alain Vigneault let the cat out of the bag on French language TV: Goalie Roberto Luongo does indeed want a trade out of Vancouver.

Speaking over the telephone to a Montreal-based TVA Sports show called Le Match, Vigneault was asked if he agreed that Luongo needed a fresh start. (Vigneault was on the show Wednesday night to discuss his contract extension.)

“First of all, that is what he wants right now,” Vigneault said in the translated quote. “What we need to do is what's best for our organization and our team. We have to look at what's best for our organization and Roberto.”

Read more: http://www.vancouver...l#ixzz25MswdPYB

Coach 'misspoke' on Luongo trade: GM

Gillis says Vigneault later corrected comment that goalie wants fresh start elsewhere

"Yeah I've seen that and my first impression was the same as yours except for that as I pointed out earlier Gillis quickly corrected AV and AV explained his comment was a little lost in translation. " Employee

We have all seen what Gillis did and it is obvious who told the truth.

Archived