Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Tanev working out with Gary Roberts

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
54 replies to this topic

#31 TLindenIsGod

TLindenIsGod

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:28 PM

I don't really get how 22 years of age puts makes most media types dub him a 'late bloomer'....? He would easily be playing every night on an Eastern Conference team.

#32 westcoast

westcoast

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,394 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:36 PM

Malhotra looked like the Hulk at the NHLPA meetings today.

#33 KING ALBERTS

KING ALBERTS

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:00 PM

does this mean tanev and his dad are going to start demanding ice time?
Posted ImagePosted Image

i fel off the banwagon and hit my hed on a rok

#34 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,492 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:39 PM

I'm really hoping that this guy bulks up and becomes the next Ohlund or Mitchell.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#35 WeDreamOfStanley

WeDreamOfStanley

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:52 PM

I feel that if Raymond trained with Roberts, he'd be that kid phoning his mom crying, asking her to come pick him up from summer camp because all the other kids are picking on him.

#36 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,497 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:25 PM

Not too worried about Tanev's shot, as long as he's working on it. Kevin Bieksa didn't get his first career goal until his 44th game and look where he is.

The good part is he's already solid defensively, has a high hockey IQ, and makes great outlet passes.

Speaking of Bieksa's first career goal:

#37 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,136 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:31 AM

Tanev is impressive as all getup; as composed as anyone I can remember.

But the article is wrong. Tanev only played a couple of games at the end of the year in a shut down role with Hammer. And also the 1st game against L.A. and Tanev got smashed in the first period; pushed off the puck for 4 or 5 chances by L.A.'s big forwards forechecking. Then AV quickly relegated him back to the 3rd line pairing where he looked fine.

Its encouraging he is working out, he did also last year with Roberts (and everyone's fave Hodgson). But he will not be much more than an excellent depth defender unless he add's an awful lot to his game plus bulks up! No speed, no big shot, no physical play, just keen smarts, good instincts and crisp passes. It's not enough...

#38 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,497 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:48 AM

Malhotra looked like the Hulk at the NHLPA meetings today.

I noticed that too, massive shoulders. Looks bigger than when he had shoulder pads on last season.

#39 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:56 AM

Tanev is impressive as all getup; as composed as anyone I can remember.

But the article is wrong. Tanev only played a couple of games at the end of the year in a shut down role with Hammer. And also the 1st game against L.A. and Tanev got smashed in the first period; pushed off the puck for 4 or 5 chances by L.A.'s big forwards forechecking. Then AV quickly relegated him back to the 3rd line pairing where he looked fine.

Its encouraging he is working out, he did also last year with Roberts (and everyone's fave Hodgson). But he will not be much more than an excellent depth defender unless he add's an awful lot to his game plus bulks up! No speed, no big shot, no physical play, just keen smarts, good instincts and crisp passes. It's not enough...

I'm pretty sure it was more than just a few games. Saying he played with Hamhuis late last season is a very fair assessment.

#40 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,597 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:45 AM

Good read.... anyone here familiar with Gary Roberts diet regimen, its pretty strict. That and a regular workout routine pretty much means you are one cut dude, but its pretty hardcore though.

#41 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:35 AM

Not too worried about Tanev's shot, as long as he's working on it. Kevin Bieksa didn't get his first career goal until his 44th game and look where he is.

The good part is he's already solid defensively, has a high hockey IQ, and makes great outlet passes.

Speaking of Bieksa's first career goal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53MjeEkF72w

Jan Bulis on the powerplay? And I thought this years second unit was bad :sick:

#42 hockeywoot

hockeywoot

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:59 AM

Defenders take longer to develop usually.
Tanev is 22.
I think his poise, and ability to read the play is ahead
of his age. Physically, he's a bit behind though.

Give it a couple years. Kids got potential.

#43 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:16 PM

My sources say yes; there's a 90% chance.

hockeyinsiderr is not a legitimate source :P

/=S=/

#44 EvoLu7ioN

EvoLu7ioN

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:00 PM

Man he looks good, he's cleary bulked up since last season. 0:50 on, he's got ridiculous mobility, high hockey IQ, that ablity to be at the right place at the right time on D that you just can't teach. The offense will develop in time. Honestly, how did this guy go undrafted.

Between Tanev and Kassian, I think the Canucks have two prime breakout candidates.

Edited by EvoLu7ioN, 30 August 2012 - 08:01 PM.

Posted Image

#45 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,152 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:53 AM

I am predicting 3G 13A +13 and somewhere in the ballpark of 30 pim this year. A very strong first full season with the team
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#46 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:35 AM

So Tanev was around 192-4 last season, if he's put on 7lbs again in the summer does that mean he's at 200 now?

I am predicting 3G 13A +13 and somewhere in the ballpark of 30 pim this year. A very strong first full season with the team

Dude, this is Tanev we're talking about. He has like 4 career PIM's. I think he might have maybe 6 over an 82 game season. He's extremely disciplined.

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#47 6of1_halfdozenofother

6of1_halfdozenofother

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:59 AM

Not everyone should try with Gary, but Raymond should find someone to help him put on mass.

Comme ça?
Posted Image

:emot-parrot:
People who label others as bandwagoners, people who tell other people "how" to cheer for their team, "how" they should act or what they should wear to "support" their team, people who only want to hear positive thoughts and don't want to read about how the team can do better - these are people who are insecure and uncomfortable within their own skin.

I'll support my team the way I choose, thank you very much. You can choose to support your team the way you want to, and I won't judge you on it as long as you don't try to force your beliefs on me. I'll also be quick to point out where I think the team can do better, because identifying that there is a problem is the first step to fixing it; denying or ignoring a problem won't solve anything.

Go Canucks Go.

#48 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:05 PM

Comme ça?
Posted Image

:emot-parrot:

Train then? Try doesn't work that well, but it makes sense at least to me.
Posted Image

#49 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,390 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:47 PM

I think Tanev has 1 penalty in his NHL career, I believe it was vs New Jersey, pretty sure he also got an assist in that game.

#50 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,651 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:12 PM

My sources say yes; there's a 90% chance.

Did samjam tell you this?

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCFL - Montreal Canadiens GM
CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#51 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,651 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:13 PM

I think Tanev has 1 penalty in his NHL career, I believe it was vs New Jersey, pretty sure he also got an assist in that game.

It was against phoenix

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCFL - Montreal Canadiens GM
CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#52 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,390 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:20 PM

It was against phoenix

so close.................. still love his assist vs the devs, to AR29 ftw! good times with those 2.

#53 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:57 PM

I don't really get how 22 years of age puts makes most media types dub him a 'late bloomer'....? He would easily be playing every night on an Eastern Conference team.

They mean he wasnt very physically mature when he was in junior. It took him a while to get where he is at today. I think he played junior b and then went to Rochester institute of technology so he was never good enough to play at the top levels and was passed over in the drafts. He probably didn't start turning heads untill rochester leading to the label late bloomer.

22yrs old is actually pretty young compared to when most defenseman enter the league as regulars.

#54 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,123 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:17 PM

stoked
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#55 hockeywoot

hockeywoot

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:21 AM

They mean he wasnt very physically mature when he was in junior. It took him a while to get where he is at today. I think he played junior b and then went to Rochester institute of technology so he was never good enough to play at the top levels and was passed over in the drafts. He probably didn't start turning heads untill rochester leading to the label late bloomer.

22yrs old is actually pretty young compared to when most defenseman enter the league as regulars.

22 is young for most defencemen. Promising considering he isn't really physically developed yet.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.