The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Extension] Kyle Turris 5 Year Extension With Ottawa

It's not that bad IMO. He just turned 23 and the Coyotes stunted his growth (hardly gave him ice time and frequently had him playing on poor lines) but he still has big potential.

Keep in mind he only played 49 games as a Senator and if you take his averages and compare them to a full season his stats would have looked like this...

Games: 82

Goals: 20

Assists: 28

Avg Ice Time: 17:21

With the cap projected to raise as well as player salary cap limites raising you see players getting bigger contracts this offseason as we have every year since the previous lockout when the cap was only about 39 million with the max player cap being approx 7 million.

3.5 million for that production in games played is reasonable. Plus liked mentioned given it was his 1st real taste of the NHL given how poorly the Yotes used him I feel it's a safe prediction to think the former #3 overall pick will get better and may even be a huge bargain at this price.

I think it's a great signing. Relatively good dollars and a 5 year deal. He seemed to integrate well in Ontario and started living up to some of the promise given when Phoenix drafted him. I think he will excel now he seems to in a better hockey climate.

Considering we paid Kes $5m, Booth $4.25, and Burrows & Higgins $2m for similar production, Turris's contract looks good hit-wise though I imagine he's going to be a hell of a bargain when he gets comfortable in Ottawa.

Archived