The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

VANCOUVER CANUCKS 2012-13 ANNUAL: ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN

elvis15

Are we better coming into the 2012/13 season than last year?  

111 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

VANCOUVER CANUCKS 2012-13 ANNUAL: ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN

Partly because they play in such a thoroughly woeful division, the Canucks managed to repeat as President's Trophy winners last season. But their first round playoff exit, in five games at the hands of the eventual Stanley Cup Champions, marred the 2011-12 campaign as a "failure."

Being at the absolute top of the table is a testament to the quality and consistency of the roster, but regular season dominance simply isn't the goal for this club, or their management team.

Sure the Canucks accumulated more points than any other NHL club during the 2011-12 campaign, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find an analyst who would argue in good faith that they were the leagues "best" team last season. In fact, one of Vancouver's dirty little secrets, was that the team wasn't all that good in the second half of their schedule.

The Canucks consistently outscored their opponents down the stretch, but they did so by becoming the Minnesota Wild lite: they stopped out-shooting their opponents, their "Fenwick Close" cratered, and they were absurdly reliant on the unsustainably good goaltending they recieved from both Roberto Luongo and incumbent starter Cory Schneider.

OUTLOOK

The Canucks should be among the West's top three again next season, partly because their division is still mostly putrid. Of course, no matter what they accomplish in the regular season, the team will be judged on their playoff success.

Our top 6 still won't be able to get it done in the playoffs.

I truly don't think we have enough players that can snipe in our top 6. Daniel and Kesler, and Kesler hasn't sniped on a regular basis in like a year. Gillis wants to go towards the "big and bad" module and just get big guys to fill our top 6, while i feel like we should at least have a couple snipers in there. But we can't do that since Kesler doesn't pass and is a sniper himself..

Kesler being a sniper causes too many problems for this team.

Our top 6 still won't be able to get it done in the playoffs.

I truly don't think we have enough players that can snipe in our top 6. Daniel and Kesler, and Kesler hasn't sniped on a regular basis in like a year. Gillis wants to go towards the "big and bad" module and just get big guys to fill our top 6, while i feel like we should at least have a couple snipers in there. But we can't do that since Kesler doesn't pass and is a sniper himself..

Kesler being a sniper causes too many problems for this team.

Our defense isn't the problem.. Why can't people recognize that? I don't care about the games in Boston. We were able to shut them out twice, once with Hamhuis injured and Ehrhoff playing with 1 shoulder..

I guess Garisson helps us solidify our top 4 again, great. But he will hardly help our troubles on offence, unless he scores a bajillion on the power play.

Kesler needs to either move to the wing and snipe there and we can trade Luongo for a playmaking center, or package him to CHI with Luongo for Toews :D

On paper we're better up front than we were last September, but the Kesler injury means the reality we'd be heading into the season far worse.

I'm more sold on Garrison playing a full season than Salo, so we're better on D.

Goaltending is the same.

Too bad the lockout means 'who cares' to another premature poll.

On paper we're better up front than we were last September, but the Kesler injury means the reality we'd be heading into the season far worse.

I'm more sold on Garrison playing a full season than Salo, so we're better on D.

Goaltending is the same.

Too bad the lockout means 'who cares' to another premature poll.

Samuelsson was yet another shooter though, same as Kesler and Booth.

I'd agree our forwards haven't improved, but we have room to give our up and comers a chance and I don't think we've gotten worse. I do hope for something to happen - if not this summer with Doan, then before the deadline in a deal - where we can add to our playmaking ability beyond Henrik to take advantage of some of the great shots we do have on this team.

Archived