Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

VANCOUVER CANUCKS 2012-13 ANNUAL: ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Poll: Are we better coming into the 2012/13 season than last year? (111 member(s) have cast votes)

Forwards

1. Yes (19 votes [17.12%])

Percentage of vote: 17.12%

2. No (42 votes [37.84%])

Percentage of vote: 37.84%

3. Same (50 votes [45.05%])

Percentage of vote: 45.05%

Defence

1. Yes (86 votes [77.48%])

Percentage of vote: 77.48%

2. No (12 votes [10.81%])

Percentage of vote: 10.81%

3. Same (13 votes [11.71%])

Percentage of vote: 11.71%

Goaltending

1. Yes (51 votes [45.95%])

Percentage of vote: 45.95%

2. No (14 votes [12.61%])

Percentage of vote: 12.61%

3. Same (46 votes [41.44%])

Percentage of vote: 41.44%

Overall

1. Yes (44 votes [39.64%])

Percentage of vote: 39.64%

2. No (22 votes [19.82%])

Percentage of vote: 19.82%

3. Same (45 votes [40.54%])

Percentage of vote: 40.54%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,037 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:21 PM

VANCOUVER CANUCKS 2012-13 ANNUAL: ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN

Partly because they play in such a thoroughly woeful division, the Canucks managed to repeat as President's Trophy winners last season. But their first round playoff exit, in five games at the hands of the eventual Stanley Cup Champions, marred the 2011-12 campaign as a "failure."

Being at the absolute top of the table is a testament to the quality and consistency of the roster, but regular season dominance simply isn't the goal for this club, or their management team.

Sure the Canucks accumulated more points than any other NHL club during the 2011-12 campaign, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find an analyst who would argue in good faith that they were the leagues "best" team last season. In fact, one of Vancouver's dirty little secrets, was that the team wasn't all that good in the second half of their schedule.

The Canucks consistently outscored their opponents down the stretch, but they did so by becoming the Minnesota Wild lite: they stopped out-shooting their opponents, their "Fenwick Close" cratered, and they were absurdly reliant on the unsustainably good goaltending they recieved from both Roberto Luongo and incumbent starter Cory Schneider.

OUTLOOK

The Canucks should be among the West's top three again next season, partly because their division is still mostly putrid. Of course, no matter what they accomplish in the regular season, the team will be judged on their playoff success.

The article goes into more detail about the forwards, defence and goaltending, so feel free to read on at the link above. It's written by Thomas Drance, so does focus on stats to a point, but mentions a few keys:
- Depth at forwards will continue to be a strength
- Top 3 D is now a top 4 again (with Sami losing a step but being replaced by Garrison)
- Best goaltending duo in the league and Lack likely up to the task if/when Luongo is traded
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64,523 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:28 PM

Same
Yes
Yes
Yes
Posted Image

#3 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:28 PM

Pretty much the same, but hopefully a more invigorated group. Still the well-known gaps that need to be filled in order to do any damage.

#4 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,373 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:37 PM

No
Yes
Same
Same
Posted Image

#5 7thMan

7thMan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:43 PM

How is our goaltending better? It's exactly same, unless you think the Schneider has improved drastically over the summer.

#6 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,037 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:52 PM

How is our goaltending better? It's exactly same, unless you think the Schneider has improved drastically over the summer.

He's emerged somewhat as a better goalie as people weren't sure of his abilities at the start of last season. That's usually the key indicator point, comparing the start of both seasons rather than just if we got better this summer.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,767 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:03 PM

Our defence has improved with Garrison but not enough to say the entire team will be better for it. Waiting for a SIGNing.
There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#8 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:11 PM

I say yes we can get trophy again.
Posted Image

#9 RIPRYP

RIPRYP

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:15 PM

Cup comes home this year.

Well, next year since the lockout has a big possibility of striking again. Get Bettman outta here :emot-parrot:

RIP to the BEST pound for pound fighter the NHL has ever seen. Will be missed.

#10 CanuckCup1316

CanuckCup1316

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:16 PM

I said goaltending better just cause everyone seems to believe that Cory is better than Luo. So with Cory being number one and playing more games then stands to reason our goaltending is better. Plus Luo usually has piss poor Octobers. Add that crap up and it should equal better goaltending..... in thoery lol.

#11 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:19 PM

Our top 6 still won't be able to get it done in the playoffs.

I truly don't think we have enough players that can snipe in our top 6. Daniel and Kesler, and Kesler hasn't sniped on a regular basis in like a year. Gillis wants to go towards the "big and bad" module and just get big guys to fill our top 6, while i feel like we should at least have a couple snipers in there. But we can't do that since Kesler doesn't pass and is a sniper himself..

Kesler being a sniper causes too many problems for this team.

Edited by Ares, 29 August 2012 - 03:20 PM.

Posted Image

#12 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,822 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:20 PM

You're right. It's the same.
Posted Image

#13 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,822 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:21 PM

Our top 6 still won't be able to get it done in the playoffs.

I truly don't think we have enough players that can snipe in our top 6. Daniel and Kesler, and Kesler hasn't sniped on a regular basis in like a year. Gillis wants to go towards the "big and bad" module and just get big guys to fill our top 6, while i feel like we should at least have a couple snipers in there. But we can't do that since Kesler doesn't pass and is a sniper himself..

Kesler being a sniper causes too many problems for this team.

It wont. This is the same offence that has dipped drastically in post season goals for compared to the regular season for the last two years now.
Posted Image

#14 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 30,417 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:23 PM

We'd be better if we still had Artem Chubarov.
Posted Image

#15 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:26 PM

Our defense isn't the problem.. Why can't people recognize that? I don't care about the games in Boston. We were able to shut them out twice, once with Hamhuis injured and Ehrhoff playing with 1 shoulder..

I guess Garisson helps us solidify our top 4 again, great. But he will hardly help our troubles on offence, unless he scores a bajillion on the power play.

Kesler needs to either move to the wing and snipe there and we can trade Luongo for a playmaking center, or package him to CHI with Luongo for Toews :D

Posted Image

#16 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 30,417 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:26 PM

On paper we're better up front than we were last September, but the Kesler injury means the reality we'd be heading into the season far worse.

I'm more sold on Garrison playing a full season than Salo, so we're better on D.

Goaltending is the same.

Too bad the lockout means 'who cares' to another premature poll.
Posted Image

#17 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:29 PM

On paper we're better up front than we were last September, but the Kesler injury means the reality we'd be heading into the season far worse.

I'm more sold on Garrison playing a full season than Salo, so we're better on D.

Goaltending is the same.

Too bad the lockout means 'who cares' to another premature poll.

Don't know about the forwards.

Really missing Samuelsson's sick snipes. Could've used them against LA again. Without a playmaking RW on the 2nd line to give Kesler/Booth the puck, that line is going nowhere fast.

Edited by Ares, 29 August 2012 - 03:30 PM.

Posted Image

#18 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,037 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:36 PM

Don't know about the forwards.

Really missing Samuelsson's sick snipes. Could've used them against LA again. Without a playmaking RW on the 2nd line to give Kesler/Booth the puck, that line is going nowhere fast.

Samuelsson was yet another shooter though, same as Kesler and Booth.

I'd agree our forwards haven't improved, but we have room to give our up and comers a chance and I don't think we've gotten worse. I do hope for something to happen - if not this summer with Doan, then before the deadline in a deal - where we can add to our playmaking ability beyond Henrik to take advantage of some of the great shots we do have on this team.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#19 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:42 PM

Samuelsson was yet another shooter though, same as Kesler and Booth.

I'd agree our forwards haven't improved, but we have room to give our up and comers a chance and I don't think we've gotten worse. I do hope for something to happen - if not this summer with Doan, then before the deadline in a deal - where we can add to our playmaking ability beyond Henrik to take advantage of some of the great shots we do have on this team.

But the great thing about Samuelsson is that his contract expired after this year. If Booth doesn't return to his form, were stuck with his stupid contract for like 4 more years?

Posted Image

#20 McElroy

McElroy

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:12 PM

No- Age and Health?
Yes- Salo was solid but by the end of season it was really evident he had lost a step.
Same-Great combination, just flipped.
Same-not much change, just hope for a prospect to make impact.

#21 G-52

G-52

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:52 PM

yes
yes
same
yes

Posted Image

#22 VMR

VMR

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:04 PM

no
yes
same (nothing has changed yet)
no
They are my team!
Go Canucks Go!

Posted Image
Thank you VC!!!!!

#23 Dancin'Droid

Dancin'Droid

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:08 PM

same
yes
same
same

The only thing that changed was replacing Salo with Garrison which would change the overall very much...

DancingAndroidYellow-1.gif

2013 Kent Jr. Football Champion

2014 Bronze Boot

2014 Kent Sr. Football Champion

2014 SWOSSA Football Finalist 

#24 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,037 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:36 PM

Some interesting perspectives, and defence so far being a clear winner. It'll be interesting to see if any further moves are made and who shines at training camp for how the forwards, goalies and overall shape up; there's not much of a consensus on those at this point.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#25 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,984 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:52 PM

No
Yes x3

2qn360i.jpg

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#26 VanCityScout

VanCityScout

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:08 PM

a better topic would be titled "Training Camp"

with Sammy Salo gone!! what are your other greatest Canuck fears as we wind into the 2012/13 NHL hockey season ?

but nevermind me..

#27 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:31 PM

I for one, don't want this to be traded and want to see more of it next season...
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#28 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:24 AM

I could not in all honesty vote yes to any of the questions because there are so many unknowns there.

Forwards. Patently no because we don't know how long Kes will be missing AND we don't know who we will acquire or how Kass and or Schroeder will shape up. Raymond could be a plus here if he is match fit but who knows.

Defence. Of course not as we have lost two very good team men and brought in an unknown player who has only one good season behind him. We are still lacking that big dominant figure.

Goalie. It depends. Will we have both Lu and Schneider to choose from? Probably not.....................possible problem then if Schneider finds it is not so easy being the goto guy, night after night, and sitting behind a defence, most of who think they are forwards and not one of which is a big dominant stay at home.

Team. Well the above says it all for me.
We have lacked a big dominant D for years now and it continues to hurt us when it counts. The Twins still have no sniping "protector" and we still lack a big in yer face passing 2nd liner.

We may satisfy some of these requirements before the Season gets underway. Some of our fringe, prospect, rookies may break out but as things stand we are no better, and to my mind less well equipped to go for the SC cup than we were last year.

We have a very fine team but we continue to deny it the ultimate success they deserve by a lack of focus on what hurts us in the playoffs.
Kevin.jpg

#29 Mclean1

Mclean1

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:19 AM

same
yes
same
no

#30 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,037 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:27 AM

a better topic would be titled "Training Camp"

with Sammy Salo gone!! what are your other greatest Canuck fears as we wind into the 2012/13 NHL hockey season ?

but nevermind me..

Feel free to write the article so I can post it then.

I could not in all honesty vote yes to any of the questions because there are so many unknowns there.

Forwards. Patently no because we don't know how long Kes will be missing AND we don't know who we will acquire or how Kass and or Schroeder will shape up. Raymond could be a plus here if he is match fit but who knows.
We do have some unknowns for sure: how well will the young players/prospects do, will Malhotra and Raymond have bounce back years, will Kesler actually miss any time with the CBA negotiations and how will he be when he gets back. I think if we get some of those things come to pass, it'll be a small improvement before any further additions that could come to pass. If we don't get enough from those things, we'd be the same or worse.

Defence. Of course not as we have lost two very good team men and brought in an unknown player who has only one good season behind him. We are still lacking that big dominant figure.
I disagree here. Salo was still good for us, and Rome reasonably dependable, but neither were getting better although they could have been getting worse. We're looking to a prospect, like with the forwards, to fill the depth but Garrison as roughly a straight swap for Salo in the lineup at least matches what we had last year while also adding his more physical presence defensively.

Goalie. It depends. Will we have both Lu and Schneider to choose from? Probably not.....................possible problem then if Schneider finds it is not so easy being the goto guy, night after night, and sitting behind a defence, most of who think they are forwards and not one of which is a big dominant stay at home.
There is the perception that Schneider is more proven this year than last, even if it's not fully confirmed with the heavier workload a starter would command, and Luongo has shown he can play well and win big games still. I don't know if it has been an upgrade so much, but our prospect depth has certainly more proven where we might not have been comfortable with Lack as a backup and Cannata starting on the Wolves previously in the event Luongo does move. He hasn't moved yet though, so better prospects and same tandem is at least a push.

Team. Well the above says it all for me.
We have lacked a big dominant D for years now and it continues to hurt us when it counts. The Twins still have no sniping "protector" and we still lack a big in yer face passing 2nd liner.
I personally don't think the team overall has improved, but our chances to open spots and attempt something different may yield some results. I wouldn't say we've gotten worse certainly, and we know we have options yet to improve with UFAs and trades that could make significant differences. It's nice to see an offseason where we were so involved in significant moves, and still are, as that hasn't been the case in the past where we could even attract talent unless we traded or drafted it.

We may satisfy some of these requirements before the Season gets underway. Some of our fringe, prospect, rookies may break out but as things stand we are no better, and to my mind less well equipped to go for the SC cup than we were last year.

We have a very fine team but we continue to deny it the ultimate success they deserve by a lack of focus on what hurts us in the playoffs.

There are some unknowns still at this point, and usually it's just down to smaller acquisitions this late in the summer yet Doan and Arnott are still significant rumours along with a potential Luongo deal. I've added some comments directly in your post though for specific items.
Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.