Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Who is the greatest Finnish player in NHL history?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

Poll: Who is the greatest Finnish player in NHL history? (73 member(s) have cast votes)

Who is the greatest Finnish player in NHL history?

1. Teemu Selanne (53 votes [72.60%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 72.60%

2. Jari Kurri (20 votes [27.40%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.40%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,900 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:50 PM

Woah, I thought this poll would be a lot closer.

307mg00.jpg

#32 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:55 PM

Woah, I thought this poll would be a lot closer.

I think the demographics of CDC are such that most posters never saw Kurri play. People who are voting for Kurri are probably 30+. People voting for Teemu are probably 10-30.

:towel: :canucks:

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#33 sedinz

sedinz

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:26 PM

2012 : Jari Kurri

2032 : Joel Armia

#34 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,485 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:33 PM

As usual, I've gotten all statistical on this.

So, at first glance, you see that Teemu has more points, albeit only 8 more, but he also has 62 more goals. Looking closer, you realize that Selanne also has more games played, therefore had more opportunity to get those points.

So, next you look at points/game. You see that Kurri is ahead of Selanne by a decent margin (1.12 to 1.05). You also will notice that Selanne is right about at 0.5 Goals per game though, which is ahead of Kurri. This means that Kurri's assists/game must be quite a bit higher than Selanne's and they are (0.64 to 0.55).

Normally I'd stop here and say that Kurri was the better player based on Points per game, and go more in detail, saying that Selanne was the better goal scorer, but Kurri was the better playmaker. However, there is one more possible step.

I took the averages of the league's goal per game level over each player's career. Kurri, who played in the 80's and 90's played in an era of much more offense than Selanne who played in the 90's and 00's.

I calculated what Selanne's goals per game, assists per game, and points per game would've been if he'd played in Kurri's era.

Goals Per Game
Kurri: 0.48
Selanne: 0.62

Assists Per Game
Kurri: 0.64
Selanne: 0.68

Points Per Game
Kurri: 1.12
Selanne: 1.30

Selanne beats Kurri in all three categories, even in assists per game, which was Kurri's strength.

So, statistically speaking, Selanne is the greatest Finnish player of All-Time.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#35 TheRocket18

TheRocket18

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:44 PM

i voted for teemu...
i'm 37 and i saw both play...

Teemu managed what 76 goals in his rookie season.
How many goals do you think Selanne would have gotten when he was young with that amazing Oiler team...
Surely more than 76 with gretz feeding him... heck look how many 1 timers Teemu puts in...

Theres no doubt in my mind that Kurri is a GREAT player...

Teemu continues to put up good points and is still a threat even at his older age...

#36 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,651 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:55 PM

Salo

Jk. Selanne

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCFL - Montreal Canadiens GM
CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#37 *vInTaGe*

*vInTaGe*

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,408 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:01 PM

Teemu. Guy is still scary good.

Posted Image

#38 Schnieds

Schnieds

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:48 PM

That's simple. It's Teemu. Kurri retired at 38 but his last good season you have to go back to when he was 34. I'm sure Jari was a great player but we'll never know how well he would've done without the great one by his side. Teemu on the other hand is still kicking ass at age 42. No contest here.

#39 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:23 AM

That's simple. It's Teemu. Kurri retired at 38 but his last good season you have to go back to when he was 34. I'm sure Jari was a great player but we'll never know how well he would've done without the great one by his side. Teemu on the other hand is still kicking ass at age 42. No contest here.

Plus he's playing in an era harder to score on.

Great post ajhockey, says it all.

Teemu

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#40 afesposit

afesposit

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:33 AM

Reijo Ruotsalainen b/c he had the greatest name of all time.

#41 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:37 AM

Again....for the kid's who never saw Kurri play and for the 37 year old who did, like I did, a lot......The Hockey News, has him listed as the 50th greatest NHL hockey player of all time.....and that's top spot for all Northern European players.

Bob Mackenzie was one of the judges on the panel that selected the top 100.

And for those saying that Kurri benefited from playing with Gretzky, I won't argue that....however, Kurri went on to win another Stanley Cup without Gretzky as a teammate. Gretzky, however, never won another Cup again.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#42 unknown33429

unknown33429

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:45 AM

This is a tough one...

I'd have to say Temmu but by a slim margin. It's tough to compare different eras, and Temmu's rookie year was something else..

When Temmu played in a similar era to Kurri, he broke the NHL's rookie goals scored record (which still stands), and that's without Gretzky pssing him the puck.

Are you CRAZY??? Trade Green for ONE first round pick?? He's restricted after this season.... He WILL get an offer sheet for 7-8 million from a number of teams regardless if he plays another minute for us or not. That offer sheet would be worth 4 first round draft choices.

Some fans overrate their players, and then there is this guy.

#43 brewdog

brewdog

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:10 AM

Huge Kurri fan here... but 76 goals as a rookie and 66 points as a 41 year-old seal the deal for me. Kurri finished with 35 points as a 37 year-old. Teemu is amazing, and he might have 50 or 60 goals left to go.

#44 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:10 AM

Again....for the kid's who never saw Kurri play and for the 37 year old who did, like I did, a lot......The Hockey News, has him listed as the 50th greatest NHL hockey player of all time.....and that's top spot for all Northern European players.

Bob Mackenzie was one of the judges on the panel that selected the top 100.

And for those saying that Kurri benefited from playing with Gretzky, I won't argue that....however, Kurri went on to win another Stanley Cup without Gretzky as a teammate. Gretzky, however, never won another Cup again.

What I am most amazed with is no one has mentioned Kurri's superior defensive play. Thanks to him Gretzky was able to leave the defensive zone early to stretch out the opposition defense.

Selanne can't touch Kurri when it comes to defensive ability.
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#45 Jay86

Jay86

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:18 AM

Esa Tikkanen

#46 woot

woot

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:37 AM

Lots of young'uns voting.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.