The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who is the greatest Finnish player in NHL history?

Who is the greatest Finnish player in NHL history?  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is a hard one, there stats are very similar. Both are amazing snipers who had very long and productive carrers.

Kurri you could argue benefited from played with Gretz, although I have a feeling Gretz himself would argue he benefited from playing with Kuri. Selanne, had a couple of off years (by his high standards) and never repeated his amazing rookie but when was one he was one of the best.

In the end I voted for Kurri for being one of the only players to score 50 goals in 50 games

As usual, I've gotten all statistical on this.

So, at first glance, you see that Teemu has more points, albeit only 8 more, but he also has 62 more goals. Looking closer, you realize that Selanne also has more games played, therefore had more opportunity to get those points.

So, next you look at points/game. You see that Kurri is ahead of Selanne by a decent margin (1.12 to 1.05). You also will notice that Selanne is right about at 0.5 Goals per game though, which is ahead of Kurri. This means that Kurri's assists/game must be quite a bit higher than Selanne's and they are (0.64 to 0.55).

Normally I'd stop here and say that Kurri was the better player based on Points per game, and go more in detail, saying that Selanne was the better goal scorer, but Kurri was the better playmaker. However, there is one more possible step.

I took the averages of the league's goal per game level over each player's career. Kurri, who played in the 80's and 90's played in an era of much more offense than Selanne who played in the 90's and 00's.

I calculated what Selanne's goals per game, assists per game, and points per game would've been if he'd played in Kurri's era.

Goals Per Game

Kurri: 0.48

Selanne: 0.62

Assists Per Game

Kurri: 0.64

Selanne: 0.68

Points Per Game

Kurri: 1.12

Selanne: 1.30

Selanne beats Kurri in all three categories, even in assists per game, which was Kurri's strength.

So, statistically speaking, Selanne is the greatest Finnish player of All-Time.

i voted for teemu...

i'm 37 and i saw both play...

Teemu managed what 76 goals in his rookie season.

How many goals do you think Selanne would have gotten when he was young with that amazing Oiler team...

Surely more than 76 with gretz feeding him... heck look how many 1 timers Teemu puts in...

Theres no doubt in my mind that Kurri is a GREAT player...

Teemu continues to put up good points and is still a threat even at his older age...

That's simple. It's Teemu. Kurri retired at 38 but his last good season you have to go back to when he was 34. I'm sure Jari was a great player but we'll never know how well he would've done without the great one by his side. Teemu on the other hand is still kicking ass at age 42. No contest here.

Archived