The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(discussion) edler, suitable teams and upgrading this team in one fell swoop

first things first, i love edler but i would like to explore his value and if trading him could possibly be better for this hockey club.

what is edler???

- he is gonna be a perennial tier 2 defenseman someday, not in the group with keith, weber or chara but he will fit in well with the likes of suter, seabrook, and letang.

- he is the complete package he can hit, score, pass and skate with the best of'em.

- two down falls he has in consistency and he doesnt play a rough and tough game which with his size kinda sucks...but what are you gonna do, theres no such thing as a perfect player

fact: UFA at the end of the year and talks with the canucks have just begun....this is the only thing that could hurt his value

teams that will be calling for sure (obviously every team is gonna call but just looking at some teams needs you can expect who is gonna be sending offers):

det, nyr, phi, ott, stl, tb, and wpg

you could throw in col, min and edm but because they are in our division so i doubt theres a possibility the canucks will deal with them

what can these teams offer that would catch the eye of mg and his staff:

det: filppula, abdelkader, ericsson and kindl

nsh: hornqvist, blum, smith and halischuk

nyr: boyle, kreider, and del zotto

phi: couturier, read, and grossman

ott: neil, zibanejad, greening and smith

stl: berglund, polak, and russell

wpg: burmistrov, cormier, and bogosian

note: i know theres more players on these teams that the canucks would love to have but i just dont see it happening (i.e helm in det, wheeler in wpg, simmonds in phi..etc...)

highlighted players are the ones that i really like

to det: edler, raymond

to van: filppula, ericsson, 1st pick 2013

to nsh: edler, raymond

to van: hornqvist, blum

to nyr: edler

to van: boyle, del zotto

to phi: edler, schroeder, 2nd pick 2013

to van: couturier, grossman

to ott: edler

to van: zibanejad, smith

to stl: edler, raymond, ballard, schroeder

to van: berglund, russell, polak

to wpg: edler

to van: burmistrov, bogosian

as you may have noticed i used edler and raymond a lot well thats because my expectation of trade involving edler would be like a upgrade in one area and a adequate replacement in another and raymond is a perfect replacement player

shoot me revised proposals, not constructive criticism

i think the nyr-van deal is the most realistic and it isnt too extravagant

sedins-sedin-burrows

??????-kesler-booth

higgins-boyle-hansen.....love this line

malhotra-lapierre-pinzzotto

hamhuis-bieksa

del zotto-garrison

ballard-tanev

the only teams i see giving us enough that would make it ok to trade him would be philly and new york.. they like their bold desperation moves. theyre also the kind of teams that would do it 90% sure they could resign him.

i dont see winnipeg and ottawa being too serious.. they need to let their teams grow right now

To all those whining .......'keep Edler' .........

How do you propose to do that ? Hes had 2 months to sign a long term or short term or whatever term deal.

He has not done so.

He has had 2 months to say he is staying in Vancouver no matter what.

He has not done so.

This is exactly how players SNEAK their way to UFA status. They try very hard to keep their head down and at the same time do not sign a deal.

Last thing they want is to be traded to some new city against their will.

Well, too bad. Edler either signs a contract by opening day or we trade his azz out of here for value.

If Philly offers Couturier, Simmonds and a 1st they can have Edler. But I doubt they'd give us both Couts and Simmonds. Maybe something like

To Vancouver: Sean Couturier + Matt Read + 2013 1st

To Philly: Alex Edler + Mason Raymond

Edler = Couturier, 1st

Raymond = Read

To all those whining .......'keep Edler' .........

How do you propose to do that ? Hes had 2 months to sign a long term or short term or whatever term deal.

He has not done so.

He has had 2 months to say he is staying in Vancouver no matter what.

He has not done so.

This is exactly how players SNEAK their way to UFA status. They try very hard to keep their head down and at the same time do not sign a deal.

Last thing they want is to be traded to some new city against their will.

Well, too bad. Edler either signs a contract by opening day or we trade his azz out of here for value.

LOL! - credibility pretty much destroyed with that statement.

Read scored 24 goals in his rookie season, mostly on the 3rd line. Raymond scored 25 once, and that was really only because he got to fill in alongside the Hart & Art Ross trophy winner for 6 weeks while his twin brother was hurt. Other than that brief period, he has scored around the pace of a 15 goal scorer throughout his career. Now, with questions about his health, you can't even count on that.

Plus, Mason disappears in the playoffs. Read scored more goals in his first 11 playoff games than Raymond has scored in his last 29.

nobody wants to trade our best Dman. hamhuis is solid as a rock and locked up at a discount.

its not about blowing up the team, its just discussion about a pending ufa. obviously everyone wants to keep edler but mike gillis would be stupid to not explore all avenues.

my main concerns are

-how much does he want?

-how long will our core be this good?

-obviously we wouldnt be as good without him, but could we get by with our current D and maybe another addition in the Lu trade?

-with the last question in mind, would the package we get be good enough to make it worth trading him?.. if you can get a future superstar like couturier, RNH, huberdeau, then i think you do it(not saying you can get those guys, just examples)

If Philly offers Couturier, Simmonds and a 1st they can have Edler. But I doubt they'd give us both Couts and Simmonds. Maybe something like

To Vancouver: Sean Couturier + Matt Read + 2013 1st

To Philly: Alex Edler + Mason Raymond

Edler = Couturier, 1st

Raymond = Read

Archived