The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What if Kesler were to be captain?

CrousettCanuck

Once I read the title of this thread I was wondering how long it would take for this to be brought up. Wow first reply! One down year and he's already CDC's new whipping boy. Another 40 goal year and you guys won't care if falls down faster than a soccer player in the 18 yard box

I agree that Kesler has a lot of the necessary qualities to be a captain, but this is neither the time nor the place to start creating leadership issues where there aren't any. More important than who has what letter, I'd like to see Kesler lead the team through the Playoffs like we saw during that Nashville series.

Kesler doesn't need a 'C' or even an 'A' to look good hoisting the Conn Smythe.

So in the interest of turning this thread into something worth discussing, who do you guys think will be the next captain, after Henrik and Daniel leave? I think a lot of people had penciled Hodgson into that role, but things have obviously changed. I think the obvious candidates from the current roster would be Kesler and Hamhuis, but they'll also be getting up there in age by the time the Sedins are on their way out, so management might want to go with a younger, more long-term captain. Perhaps either Schroeder or Tanev, assuming they're still with us?

So in the interest of turning this thread into something worth discussing, who do you guys think will be the next captain, after Henrik and Daniel leave? I think a lot of people had penciled Hodgson into that role, but things have obviously changed. I think the obvious candidates from the current roster would be Kesler and Hamhuis, but they'll also be getting up there in age by the time the Sedins are on their way out, so management might want to go with a younger, more long-term captain. Perhaps either Schroeder or Tanev, assuming they're still with us?

The OP makes some valid points but Henrik is very mature and calm whereas Kes is very heated and well,younger than Henrik and tends to be over emotional.Good and bad in it.

Twins like Hank and Dank have to love having one being captain as they are one and the same,anyways.

Finally,as has been pointed out,teams cannot change up the captains regularly when the captain is a solid ,calm character that also can lead the league in scoring.Hank is well respected.

Seriously though, Kesler is a bit quirky. Everything from Kesler bombing, chirping with ref's all the time not to mention other teams (and not backing it up with his gloves off), to his feuds with guys like Umberger (who could have been a very productive guy for us) and Hodgson... And then his diving... All point to Kesler missing a few screws somewhere.

Look, with all respect, when Kess is going full bottle his play is captains material. He was my next captain after the Nashville series, leading us in every way imaginable. He just has to mature a bit more.

not even going to read what you wrote.

In game 4 against LA Henrik battled against 2 LA Dmen down low for about 50 seconds, it was nothing less of Crosby-esque

Burrows and Hansen did not have the skill or knowledge to get open for him and the play lay dead. A few shifts later Booth was on the ice with hank and danny for the goal.

Henrik did all this in the same game Daniel came back, Henrik was viciously hit by Brown, and the 2 time Presidents trophy winners who from losing game 7 were baout to be swept in the 1st.

Henrik did his best but he needs a team.

Henrik Sedin is no longer soft, weak, or Swedish. He knows Playoff Hockey and he's ready.

Just 'cause he had one year down doesn't change the fact he's still a diver.

Another 40 goal year and if he still dives I'll still call him a diver. He doesn't just do it too much, he does it pretty poorly, atleast make it believable, that's why we mock him, it's so fake, and disgraceful.

Archived