The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What if Kesler were to be captain?

CrousettCanuck

As much as I am a fan of Kesler, Henrik is the better choice.

• Henrik is already the captain, so no point in changing without good reason.

• Henrik's ability to make teammates better (Kesler has it too, but Henrik is more effective).

• When on the PP, Henrik is the QB. He instructs where everyone goes in the moments leading to the faceoff.

• Sedins have mentioned retiring from the NHL earlier than most would expect, to play in Sweden to help grow the game in their native country. Having one of them as captain ensures a longer tenure. In the end it might not matter because the twins simply want to win the Stanley Cup once, but the captaincy ensures they don't 'quit early.'

I think Henrik has a higher level of hockey intelligence than Kesler and that allows him to make better decisions for the team. I agree that Kesler would be a much more inspiring presence on the ice (speed, aggressiveness, willingness to sacrifice his body, etc). Some may argue that is more important than pure hockey intelligence. I find it's very debatable. There's definitely importance in both and the key is balance, but specifically with our team's situation - Henrik is the best overall choice.

There's other off-ice intangibles that should go into anyone's choice, but those would heavily favour Henrik anyway.

In the end, if the captaincy were passed to Kesler during this off-season, I think everything would be the same - except the Sedins would retire earlier if they won a cup already.

So, you're saying you don't want Henrik to be captain? Since you have no grasp of subtlety, I'll explain it for you. I was using humour to exemplify how the only difference would be Kesler would have a 'C' on his jersey instead of an 'A'. The change is superficial and wouldn't have any impact. As many others have said in this thread, you don't need a letter to be a leader.

Also, something is incredibly ironic about you calling it half-whit

Well, if I was mocking or insulting anyone it was my aunt. You sure have thin skin my friend.

YEAH MY CAPS LOCK KEY IS BROKEN TOO. What's a "scenario theory"?

See, now I'm mocking you.

Why don't you go join those message boards instead? I don't see how we're being "arrogant andeven ignorant" for disagreeing with you. Being a fellow fan doesn't excuse you from criticism.

Their input is negative because they disagree with you.

So you don't want an actual discussion. You just want to be patted on the back and be told how awesome you are.

We're labeled the worst fans in the league because of the riot and intense scrutiny this team is under in BC. There's no "wonder" about it. It's not because we said something on a forum. Go see how the Canucks are talked about on HFBoards and see how bad we are then.

Archived