The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What if Kesler were to be captain?

CrousettCanuck

Henrik Sedin is better. Has more skill, better character guy and best of all doesn't dive. I liked Kesler but seeing dive as much as he did this past year is just an embarrassment. He should be benched a few minutes/shifts everytime he dives, it need to stop.

So in the interest of turning this thread into something worth discussing, who do you guys think will be the next captain, after Henrik and Daniel leave? I think a lot of people had penciled Hodgson into that role, but things have obviously changed. I think the obvious candidates from the current roster would be Kesler and Hamhuis, but they'll also be getting up there in age by the time the Sedins are on their way out, so management might want to go with a younger, more long-term captain. Perhaps either Schroeder or Tanev, assuming they're still with us?

Point 1 - Henrik is more vocal than Daniel, this has been admitted by Daniel, Henrik and several members of the team. There is no controversy between him and Daniel, and i doubt that Henrik would've accepted the C if it would stir up trouble with his twin bother

Point 2 - Kesler is a leader on this team. He will continue to lead wearing an A or a C.

Point 3 - Henrik is a much, shall we say softer face to represent us. Most of the NHL already hates us the implementation of Kesler as C would only enhance that (particularly is he was to surplant Henrik Sedin) *

Point 4 - Whats done is done. To change captains again would be a PR disaster and it actually would be a slap in the face. If Kesler had been made captain thats one thing, but he wasnt. Henrik was. THE END

*Footnote to Point 3 - I'm not saying saying that we should care what other fans think of us. I am saying that when it comes to July 1st and i'm deciding what team to play for the unassuming superstar is gonna win me over more than the cocky @$$hole (no matter how much we love him)

What's up with people saying Kesler shows too much emotion and is less "mature" than Henrik? Seriously? Mature? Kesler is almost 28. I'm pretty sure he is mature, he's a grown man with two kids I believe.

One thing that this team sure lacks is EMOTION. When I look back and watch games of the playoffs in 2010-2011, the only time I saw some emotion was against the Hawks back in round one. I still believe that the best game the Nucks played was game 2 of the playoffs against Chicago. They really looked like they wanted to win and had some determination.

Kesler has that emotion, he has that swagger, he's te reason we got to the third round last year. That's right, we would have lost to the Predators. Kesler really shows it out on the ice that he really gives a crap. He sets the lead, and many followed during last years run. Unfortunately, nobody did what he did last year, hence the exit in 5 games to the Kings.

I am all for making Kesler captain. People can say what they may, but I fell the main reason why we even had the chance to watch a Stanley cup final with our Canucks in it was mainly due to Kesler

What's up with people saying Kesler shows too much emotion and is less "mature" than Henrik? Seriously? Mature? Kesler is 28. I'm pretty sure he is mature, he's a grown man with two kids I believe.

One thing that this team sure lacks is EMOTION. When I look back and watch games of the playoffs in 2012-2011, the only time I saw some emotion was against the Hawks back in round one. I still believe that the best game the Nucks played was game 2 of the playoffs against Chicago. They really looked like they wanted to win and had some determination.

Kesler has that emotion, he has that swagger, he's te reason we got to the third round last year. That's right, we would have lost to the Predators. Kesler really shows it out on the ice that he really gives a crap. He sets the lead, and many followed during last years run. Unfortunately, nobody did what he did last year, hence the exit in 5 games to the Kings.

I am all for making Kesler captain. People can say what they may, but I fell the main reason why we even had the chance to watch a Stanley cup final with our Canucks in it was mainly due to Kesler

What's up with people saying Kesler shows too much emotion and is less "mature" than Henrik? Seriously? Mature? Kesler is almost 28. I'm pretty sure he is mature, he's a grown man with two kids I believe.

One thing that this team sure lacks is EMOTION. When I look back and watch games of the playoffs in 2010-2011, the only time I saw some emotion was against the Hawks back in round one. I still believe that the best game the Nucks played was game 2 of the playoffs against Chicago. They really looked like they wanted to win and had some determination.

I love Kesler, he has the heart of a lion, but honestly i don't know if he's mature and level headed enough to be Captain? Yeah sometimes this team needs a fire lit under it's @ss and Kes would be great for that but other times he might get too emotional? An example is the way Doan acted after a few bad calls by the refs in the playoff against the Kings. He just LOST IT.

Archived