The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What if Kesler were to be captain?

CrousettCanuck

What's up with people saying Kesler shows too much emotion and is less "mature" than Henrik? Seriously? Mature? Kesler is almost 28. I'm pretty sure he is mature, he's a grown man with two kids I believe.

One thing that this team sure lacks is EMOTION. When I look back and watch games of the playoffs in 2010-2011, the only time I saw some emotion was against the Hawks back in round one. I still believe that the best game the Nucks played was game 2 of the playoffs against Chicago. They really looked like they wanted to win and had some determination.

Kesler has that emotion, he has that swagger, he's te reason we got to the third round last year. That's right, we would have lost to the Predators. Kesler really shows it out on the ice that he really gives a crap. He sets the lead, and many followed during last years run. Unfortunately, nobody did what he did last year, hence the exit in 5 games to the Kings.

I am all for making Kesler captain. People can say what they may, but I fell the main reason why we even had the chance to watch a Stanley cup final with our Canucks in it was mainly due to Kesler

With no disrespect to Henrik Sedin as he is a wonderful and leading captain I just have my own proposal and fresh idea to how Kesler being captain could have turned this team to a Cup in 2011, and even a potential Cup for next season (2012/13)

First of all, deciding between the Twins and then choosing one of them with obviously having Daniel know that his brother is and was chosen over him because they thought Henrik would be a better candidate for captain than him is kind of a slap in the face. Obviously, I am absolutely sure that Daniel is fine, but you know what I mean.

Secondly, that run of Kesler leading this team and really trying to push the Canucks into becoming more motivated to play harder and better as a result of Kesler leading by example was a huge example to prove that Kesler has the potential. Plus, if Kesler was chosen captain, then the Sedins can be on the same page as both of them were to be still A's and I honestly think that it would motivate Kesler a lot more than Henrik if he were to be chosen captain it would push this team in a different and more motivated direction.

Label me insane, but it could have worked...you guys have any thoughts?

post-92599-0-19947100-1346306614_thumb.j

Personally, I'm tired of the "wonderful human beings" that are named as captain here. Sedin, Naslund etc. Don't get me started on Luongo. Great guys, great players but not what was needed

Rather have the Smyl or Kurtenbach types that'll be an extension of the coach and kick butt when necessary. Messier was a great captain in Edmonton and NY (was crappy here).

Personally, I'm tired of the "wonderful human beings" that are named as captain here. Sedin, Naslund etc. Don't get me started on Luongo. Great guys, great players but not what was needed

Rather have the Smyl or Kurtenbach types that'll be an extension of the coach and kick butt when necessary. Messier was a great captain in Edmonton and NY (was crappy here).

Why have a Captain or a discussion about it at all then? Is their only job to be the appointed player who talks to the refs?Some teams, liek the Wild recently, have had no captain or a rotating C in the room. This is a desicion made by the coaching staff and sets the tone for the team. If this makes no difference in your opinion, why would a team or coach bother. Since I have no experience or knowledge of sports, and you obviously do, please clarify.

I wouldn't be so sure of that.

I'm a big fan of the twins, of course, but look at what Henrik let Joe Thornton do to him last year. Look at how this team is constantly bullied around. Look at how they, as the President's Trophy winner, got rolled in the playoffs, and barely showed any urgency at all. Look at how the team, relative to 2010-11, just seemed like they weren't having a lot of fun last year.

I'm not ruling out the possibility of a leadership deficiency, that's for sure.

I wasn't disputing Henrik as being captain. Like jesus christ, you guys have nothing else better to do then hate on someone for making a random blog that wasn't out there to stir arguments or insult you guys, like wtf. Real mature comments. I love Henrik as captain, always will it was just a random thing that came to mind to DISCUSS about, not to debate over if were to actually happen. Grow up..frack. Speak about the worst fans in the league.

I wasn't disputing Henrik as being captain. Like jesus christ, you guys have nothing else better to do then hate on someone for making a random blog that wasn't out there to stir arguments or insult you guys, like wtf. Real mature comments. I love Henrik as captain, always will it was just a random thing that came to mind to DISCUSS about, not to debate over if were to actually happen. I wasn't implying as if he WOULD be a better captain, it was just a thought, that turned into an idea to SHARE with my fans on the same team I love as much as you guys and the majority of you shun it out and insult it like you think I am some sort dumbass that has no clue to what I am talking about as if was a real suggestion. Like holy crap.. grow up, and we wonder why we get label'd as the worst fans in the league.

The OP makes some valid points but Henrik is very mature and calm whereas Kes is very heated and well,younger than Henrik and tends to be over emotional.Good and bad in it.

Twins like Hank and Dank have to love having one being captain as they are one and the same,anyways.

Finally,as has been pointed out,teams cannot change up the captains regularly when the captain is a solid ,calm character that also can lead the league in scoring.Hank is well respected.

Archived