The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

General Hockey Questions

Rate this topic

in OT what happens if a PK is called? 3v3 still or a 3v2? I didn't watch canucks tonight btw.

It goes to 4v3 then 4v4 when he gets out to the net whistle...Gimmicky, I like how the BCHL does it where a penalty 3v3 is a penalty shot

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know why Ottawa wore their away jerseys at home against Detroit the other night (on Halloween)?

From time to time, teams tend to mix it up. I've seen the Canucks wear the whites at home as well on occasion.

• Upvote 1

From time to time, teams tend to mix it up. I've seen the Canucks wear the whites at home as well on occasion.

The only times I remember the Canucks wearing "white jerseys" was during the 40th anniversary as the new third jerseys and during one game against the Oilers when the Sedins played two-three minute shift, known as "The Shift".

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/11/2015 22:18:03, Delta76 said:

Why is save percentage still listed as a decimal?

Honestly is kills me. His save percentage is not .925, it's 92.5.

.925 by definition is a percentage of the whole with 1 being 100%. Now if you were to say .925% you'd be totally incorrect, but that's not how it's listed. They do the same with batting average, so blame baseball?

32 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

.925 by definition is a percentage of the whole with 1 being 100%. Now if you were to say .925% you'd be totally incorrect, but that's not how it's listed. They do the same with batting average, so blame baseball?

By definition it is a proportion of the whole. We can express a proportion as a percentage, but only after multiplying by 100 or by, as you mentioned, letting 1 = 100. The latter seems unnecessarily more complicated though, and I think baseball should be blamed. 

2 hours ago, Down by the River said:

By definition it is a proportion of the whole. We can express a proportion as a percentage, but only after multiplying by 100 or by, as you mentioned, letting 1 = 100. The latter seems unnecessarily more complicated though, and I think baseball should be blamed. 

Guess we're blaming baseball then.

• 3 weeks later...

Won't you explain me the main expressions of trades, signings, contracts, like UFA, RFA,NTC, waving ntc, put sy on waiver, 2 way contract and so on. I've read the Wiki articles, but I didn't manage to understand the whole thing because of my poor English, so would you be so kind to explain me, like telling to a child... :D

On 2015-12-19 at 3:02 AM, HungarianVanCanFan said:

Won't you explain me the main expressions of trades, signings, contracts, like UFA, RFA,NTC, waving ntc, put sy on waiver, 2 way contract and so on. I've read the Wiki articles, but I didn't manage to understand the whole thing because of my poor English, so would you be so kind to explain me, like telling to a child... :D

There are a lot of terms and they're not always easy to understand for sure. I'm not sure I know all of them enough to explain, but I can take a crack.

UFA means "unrestricted free agent." It means that a player is currently not under contract by any team and no team currently has the "rights" to him. Basically that just means that any team in the league can talk to and sign him.

RFA means "restricted free agent" which, as I understand it, means that though the player is not currently under a valid contract the team that he last had a contract with has "rights" to him, meaning they get priority to talk to the player and try to sign him. It's intended to help protect teams who put a lot of time and effort into developing young players by giving them a certain amount of time after the player enters the league in which they get every chance to keep him on their roster if they want him.

NTC means "no trade clause." That means that a player has a clause in their existing contract that prevents or restricts trades. Without one, a player can be traded at any time to any team in the league. That can make players feel insecure, especially those with families. As a result, many top players ask for some version of a NTC so that they can have more control over if trades happen and to where. Some players have full NTC which means they can not be traded at any time to any team unless they agree (known as "waiving their NTC"). Other players have a limited NTC which limits the specific teams that they can be traded to. I don't think there's a specific rule about it but it seems like most players with a limited NTC (as well as those agreeing to waive a full NTC) usually give a list of about 5 teams they are willing to be traded to. It basically gives players more control over where they can be sent, allowing them the chance to pick only good teams so they can have a chance to win a Cup and/or pick areas where their family wouldn't mind living. For example, many players put their home state/province on the list so they could live closer to family.

A 2-way contract means the player can be sent down to the team's minor league affiliate. (For the Canucks, that's the Utica Comets.) A 1-way contract means that the player must remain on the NHL team's roster, so the team's choice is to either play them or sit them in the press box. I believe, however, that there is an exception for conditioning stints in the minors for players with 1-way contracts but that can only be to help them get back into game shape and not long-term. I don't know what it is off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's a time limit.

Putting a player on waiver means that you are sending them down to the minors at a time when they're not protected from waivers. If you want to know the rules governing waivers you'll have to find someone smarter than me to explain it. Basically all you really need to know is if a player is placed on waivers the team that placed them is taking the risk of losing them as, for a short window, every other team (starting with the bottom team in the league and working upward I believe) has a chance to "claim" them off waivers, meaning that they will take the player and their entire contract as it stands. The intention of the waiver system is to help players who would have otherwise been sent to the minors get a chance to play in the NHL for another team. Unfortunately, as we recently saw when Toronto pick up Corrado off of waivers that's not always the case. Some in fact are clamoring (rightly) for a change in the system to require teams that pick up a player off waivers to play him within a certain amount of time or else pay a penalty or forfeit the player entirely. It's simply against the entire purpose of waivers to pick up a player and not let him play in the NHL. A player that "clears waivers" was not picked up by any other team and is sent to the minor league affiliate of the team that originally placed him on waivers.

I hope that helps. And hopefully others can help correct any misinformation or add any important information I left out.

Edited by poetica
  • Upvote 3

On December 26, 2015 at 1:39 PM, Gretzky to Lemieux said:

How many picks do we have in the 2016 draft? And which teams do some of the picks previously belonged to? For example, we gave Anaheims second to pittsburgh in the Sutter trade but we also got a 3rd back, but I'm confused whos 3rd this is.

• We have 7 picks
  • Our 1st, 2nd, 4th, 6th, 7th
  • Buffalo or our third
  • Carolinas 7th

http://www.prosportstransactions.com/hockey/DraftTrades/Years/2016.htm

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...