The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

General Hockey Questions

Rate this topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, smokes said:

Question: Why are undrafted college prospects such hot commodities? Weren't they undrafted for a reason?

The majority of these guys are late bloomers physcially, just like in Chris Tanevs case. Or they get to their senior year and figure out they can dominate, but signing guys like this is more likely than not to bust. 

Mostly though because it's a free prospect not costing you a pick

Sometimes it's a delayed physical growth that helps them show as better players after they've been passed in the draft, or sometimes it's just that they've figured out the game better mentally and now look to be a better player. Either way, they're a free prospect that's now showing enough to be worth taking a chance on that you can walk away from if they don't manage to improve as a pro. You wouldn't sign every undrafted player, but if you think there's a good enough chance they could be something, then why not?

• 3 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, G.K. Chesterton said:

Why did Andrew Ference go from being captain of the Oilers to only an alternate?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/andrew-ference-gives-up--c--for-oilers--four-alternate-captains-announced-183909873.html

Pretty much... he's bad at hockey and shouldn't have been named captain to begin with. I think their new head coach (McLellan) also had a say in it.

• Upvote 1

Tried searching for it but haven't quite found the answer. How do hockey players get paid? Is it all in a lump sum, or distributed throughout the length of their contract/season? I mean base pay, not signing bonuses. 

Take Granlund's new contract for example. He's making $850k this upcoming season and $950k the next. Will he just get a check for $850k this October? Or does it get divided up over the 6 months of the regular season (~$141.7k/month)?

37 minutes ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

Tried searching for it but haven't quite found the answer. How do hockey players get paid? Is it all in a lump sum, or distributed throughout the length of their contract/season? I mean base pay, not signing bonuses. 

Take Granlund's new contract for example. He's making $850k this upcoming season and $950k the next. Will he just get a check for $850k this October? Or does it get divided up over the 6 months of the regular season (~$141.7k/month)?

I don't know for sure, but for some reason, I feel like it might be lump sum. I think their contracts are in a sense divided by the game for suspension purposes (losing out on salary) and what not, but I feel like I heard somewhere that it might be lump sum. No source though, so I could be totally wrong.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

They get paid their salary bi-monthly, less a % (escrow) depending on projected revenues to make certain the players don't get paid more than the percentage of total revenues in the CBA.  I think it's as high as 20%.

• Upvote 1

Ok, back with another one. So I notice some of the Utica Comets players (Wacey Hamilton, Carter Bancks, etc) never seemed to get mentioned in prospects conversations. Is that because they technically aren't prospects of the Canucks or the Canucks don't own their rights (for lack of a better term) even though they own the farm team? Or is it just because they aren't NHL caliber/relevant?

They are signed to Utica so not technically Canucks prospects. I beleive they could be picked up by other NHL teams who wanted them.  Probably not NHL caliber as most are the vets for Utica but occasionally you get a player like Biega who fights the odds.