The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

General Hockey Questions

Rate this topic

On 15/05/2016 at 2:36 PM, Whale Tail said:

I would think its bi weekly. From old CBA quotes they say 15th and 30th. 

If it was a lump sum and the player was suspended without pay he would have to give money back. 

On my phone so I can't download it but it would probably be here

http://www.nhlpa.com/inside-nhlpa/collective-bargaining-agreement

That's basically it. Bonuses get paid July 1st (or when the contract is signed if after that) and the salary gets paid out during the season just like us regular schmucks.

On 15/05/2016 at 5:02 PM, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

Ok, back with another one. So I notice some of the Utica Comets players (Wacey Hamilton, Carter Bancks, etc) never seemed to get mentioned in prospects conversations. Is that because they technically aren't prospects of the Canucks or the Canucks don't own their rights (for lack of a better term) even though they own the farm team? Or is it just because they aren't NHL caliber/relevant?

They're AHL-only players. The Canucks don't hold their rights or have them under contract. Just because they own the farm team doesn't translate into them owning the players. We certainly could discuss them in their own threads, but they're more often players who don't have a longer life attachment with the club so it's not something fans tend to invest themselves with as much as one of our drafted or contracted young players.

Edited by elvis15

8 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

That's basically it. Bonuses get paid July 1st (or when the contract is signed if after that) and the salary gets paid out during the season just like us regular schmucks.

Their AHL-only players. The Canucks don't hold their rights or have them under contract. Just because they own the farm team doesn't translate into them owning the players. We certainly could discuss them in their own threads, but they're more often players who don't have a longer life attachment with the club so it's not something fans tend to invest themselves with as much as one of our drafted or contracted young players.

Thank you! Makes sense! 

• 1 month later...
On 6/28/2016 at 7:21 PM, Boris Badenov said:

If I understand it right, I believe Pascal Dupuis is still getting paid his salary by the Pens, even though he is officially retired from hockey. Does that mean he still counts against the Pens salary cap?

Well, if he's officially retired and signed the contract when he was 35+, then he would stay on the cap hit, similar to Datsyuk.

Looks like it wasn't a 35+ contract since he signed it a couple months after turning 34 and it took effect prior to him turning 35.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=676285

The question is about how he's retired. From this report:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/pittsburgh-penguins-pascal-dupuis-forced-to-retire/

Dupuis has been placed on the injured reserve list, and Pittsburgh intends to place the winger on long-term injured reserve. The 36-year-old is signed to the Penguins through 2016-17 at an average annual value of $3.75 million. Pittsburgh will continue to pay his salary.

Certainly for this past season he was getting paid by them and counted against their cap for the whole year with LTI relief just as any other injured player would.

Where I'm not sure is if the Pens are continuing that LTI into next season for the final year of his contract, or if he's officially retired now that this season is over. If he's on the "Marc Savard" retirement plan, then they'd keep him on LTI and continue to pay his salary (or rather, the NHLPA/insurance would pay it), but since he's actually announced his retirement I'd think this coming season his contract is dropped and he no longer counts against the Pens cap or gets paid. I don't see him on the Pens GeneralFanager page so the latter is my guess.

If it had been a 35+ contract though, this next season would still count even if he did retire. The Pens would have just kept him active and not announced his retirement though to avoid that and let them use LTI to get relief for going over the cap.

• 4 weeks later...

Weird phantom question that I have come up myself:

E.g. Vancouver vs Calgary (or any other 2 teams): At the beginning of the first period, the ref drop the puck at the opening faceoff, Hank lost the draw and no part of his or stick or skate or anything had touch the puck so are 5 other Canucks on the ice (including the goalie) and then the Flames Dman screwed up in a D to D passing play and put it into their own net, who on the Canucks gets credited for the goal?

1 hour ago, ruilin96 said:

Weird phantom question that I have come up myself:

E.g. Vancouver vs Calgary (or any other 2 teams): At the beginning of the first period, the ref drop the puck at the opening faceoff, Hank lost the draw and no part of his or stick or skate or anything had touch the puck so are 5 other Canucks on the ice (including the goalie) and then the Flames Dman screwed up in a D to D passing play and put it into their own net, who on the Canucks gets credited for the goal?

So full restart of play where the draw is won cleanly by Team A where no player from Team B ever touches the puck before the puck goes in Team A's net? I don't see anything to cover that in the official rule book:

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/rules/2014-2015-rulebook.pdf

A goal shall be scored if the puck is put into the goal in any way by a player of the defending side. The player of the attacking side who last touched the puck shall be credited with the goal but no assist shall be awarded.

That's the only mention under Rule 78 - Goals. No idea if it's ever come up, I guess.

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Is it? Is there an official ruling?

I don't know 'where' in the rule book it is but I played hockey competitively and the rule is indeed "closest' to the puck if no player on the scoring team touched it. This situation as described could only happen on a faceoff so it would be the center, else it would be last player to touch it.

Edited by Nuckles80

14 hours ago, smokes said:

Quick question: Have either of the Sedins actually been in a fight in the NHL?

They aren't on HockeyFights.com, which should be pretty definitive, but to double check I pulled up their career stats at NHL.com:

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?reportType=allTime&report=penalties&gameType=2&sort=penaltyMinutes&teamId=23&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,800&pos=F

No major penalties ever in their careers (same goes for the playoff stats). Daniel with 3 misconducts (1 regular season and 2 playoffs) compared to Henrik's 0 though.

7 hours ago, elvis15 said:

They aren't on HockeyFights.com, which should be pretty definitive, but to double check I pulled up their career stats at NHL.com:

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?reportType=allTime&report=penalties&gameType=2&sort=penaltyMinutes&teamId=23&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,800&pos=F

No major penalties ever in their careers (same goes for the playoff stats). Daniel with 3 misconducts (1 regular season and 2 playoffs) compared to Henrik's 0 though.

Thanks, I'm suprised Henrik never even got a misconduct.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

How does NHL hockey run during the Olympics? Is it kind of like what's been going on recently with preseason, where each team still does their thing and plays but does so mostly with a skeleton crew since the best players are gone for the tournament?

The league shuts down, or it did last time. May never be a problem again, with Mr Bettman indicating the NHL may not "let" their players go.

Alex Ovechkin has already said he is going to the next Oly's- whether the league likes it or not.

• Upvote 1