The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

General Hockey Questions

Rate this topic

22 minutes ago, gurn said:

The league shuts down, or it did last time. May never be a problem again, with Mr Bettman indicating the NHL may not "let" their players go.

Alex Ovechkin has already said he is going to the next Oly's- whether the league likes it or not.

So the season just has like a 2-3 week break? Is it still an 82 game season?

• 1 month later...

Just curious. Which place is nicer, San Jose or Anaheim? Somebody on CDC said something about the beauty of landscapes of this city's, comparing one of them to trash, but I can't remember which was it. I don't live in the U.S. and I can't decide on google pictures.

On November 4, 2016 at 0:08 PM, Rubik said:

Just curious. Which place is nicer, San Jose or Anaheim? Somebody on CDC said something about the beauty of landscapes of this city's, comparing one of them to trash, but I can't remember which was it. I don't live in the U.S. and I can't decide on google pictures.

I've lived in both SoCal and NorCal at least ten years each…I feel like San Jose area is prettier. Maybe not so much the city proper, but relatively nearby there are mountains, ocean, etc. Anaheim, like LA, I feel is a dump. I

I'm not the OP though.

• Upvote 1

On 11/4/2016 at 0:08 PM, Rubik said:

Is there a hockey related reasoning for the question? It might change the answer.

5 hours ago, Squamfan said:

what if a teams starting goalie gets hurts and they get a emergency backup, and then in the game there backup gets hurt and can't play, then what happens who's plays in net and who's the backup

Doesn't really matter about a regular backup or emergency one, but if both goalies are hurt during a game I think they'd have to have one of the players dress. But then I also remember something about someone being pulled out of the stands although I think that was to sit on the bench just in case.

Did a search and here's what I found:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/panthers-goalies-hurt-sign-assistant-coach-game-article-1.2136566

Roberto Luongo, who started in the Panthers’ net and made 16 saves, left at the first intermission after being struck in the head by a shot from Toronto’s Leo Komarov. Montoya suffered an apparent lower body injury trying to make the save on Peter Holland's goal which drew the Maple Leafs even, 2-2.

Florida GM Dale Tallon rushed down to the Panthers bench to discuss the situation with coach Gerard Gallant, who was seen speaking at length to officials. Down to no goalies and the Panthers’ playoff hopes hanging by a slim thread, they turned to their goaltending consultant Robb Tallas, who signed an emergency contract.

Before Tallas, wearing No. 31, emerged in full goalie gear, center Derek MacKenzie was sent back to the locker room as a potential solution between the pipes. A skater has not played in net since Gerry Toppazzini manned the Bruins net on October 16, 1960 when goaltender Don Simmons got hurt with 30 seconds left in a game in Chicago. Back then, only one goalie dressed per game.

Neither the center nor assistant coach - who also dressed for a game and took some warmups back in 2013 - saw any game action, Tuesday night, however.

Montoya briefly returned to the game, but was too injured to play. Luongo, who had already showered and was in street clothes, got his gear back on and re-entered the game with Tallas on the bench as his backup.

16 hours ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

I've lived in both SoCal and NorCal at least ten years each…I feel like San Jose area is prettier. Maybe not so much the city proper, but relatively nearby there are mountains, ocean, etc. Anaheim, like LA, I feel is a dump. I

I'm not the OP though.

Thank you, that's absolutely answered my question, there was no hockey reasoning for the question.
(Btw good for you to live in both Nor and So California. :) )

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Qwags said:

What's the difference between a two-way contract and a one-way contract?

Two way contracts have 2 base salaries. one for when said player is playing in the NHL and the other for then the player is playing in the AHL. the AHL salary is much lower (50k ish I believe usually) while the NHL minimum is 800k ish.

A one way contract means the that player will be paid his nhl salary be him playing in the ahl or nhl.

1 minute ago, Gooseberries said:

Two way contracts have 2 base salaries. one for when said player is playing in the NHL and the other for then the player is playing in the AHL. the AHL salary is much lower (50k ish I believe usually) while the NHL minimum is 800k ish.

A one way contract means the that player will be paid his nhl salary be him playing in the ahl or nhl.

Thank you. I always assumed the contract type was related to waiver eligiblity.

11 minutes ago, Qwags said:

Thank you. I always assumed the contract type was related to waiver eligiblity.

Many assume that due to ea sports nhl franchise. I'm pretty sure that's how it worked in the game. I thought that for a long time too.waiver eligibility is based on age and nhl experience.

Trying to find a way to ask this without sounding like a crazed stalker ^_^

I was just going through a few of the Canuck's "Behind the Lens" galleries and saw some pics of the team signing autographs for fans outside their hotels, or outside the rinks before/after practice. How do people know where the team is staying, or what time practice is?? I'm not planning on showing up ahaha, but I've always been curious. I've see videos too where the fans obviously came prepared with full binders of pictures to have signed, etc. How do they know??

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/21/2016 at 1:40 PM, Gooseberries said:

Many assume that due to ea sports nhl franchise. I'm pretty sure that's how it worked in the game. I thought that for a long time too.waiver eligibility is based on age and nhl experience.

Thankfully, they use them properly now. EA Sports was to blame for my confusion in this area back in the day too.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Whale Tail said:

With the expansion team having the odds of the 3rd pick in the draft.... does that mean if say the Canucks are the 3rd last team, do both teams draw the same odds or we automatically drop down a pick and everyone else does as well? 

Same odds when it comes to the lottery.  Vegas picks 3rd in subsequent rounds and cannot drop lower than 6th in the 1st round.  So the team that finishes 3rd last will at worst pick 7th in the 1st round and will pick 4th in the subsequent rounds.

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1