The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

General Hockey Questions

Rate this topic

How far into the future can you trade picks? 

Could Benning acquire a 2025 first rounder or a 2048 2nd rounder or would the NHL say "WTF are you doing?"

Edit: Also: What if you traded for a pick far in the future then contraction happens and that team no longer exists. Would the NHL give you a free pick somewhere in the round?

Back when the draft had 9 rounds, what if a team traded for a 9th round pick, then the draft shrunk to 7 rounds? Would you just get an extra 7th round pick?

Edited by Where's Wellwood

8 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

How far into the future can you trade picks? 

I can't find an actual rule on this.  I think it is one of those things that until someone does something bizarre they haven't had to make an official rule.

I looked up all the future transactions.  Right now there are plenty of 2018 picks that have been traded and a few 2019 picks (mostly conditional) but zero 2020 picks.

Source: http://www.prosportstransactions.com/hockey/DraftTrades/Future/Canucks.htm

• 4 weeks later...
On 20/05/2017 at 3:28 PM, YummyCakeFace said:

Sitting here looking up players from the 80's. Checked out Gretzky. Couldn't stop laughing. Those totals from his younger years are ridiculous 

Even if you cross reference to different eras you probably won't stop.  The things he could do with the puck were otherworldly.  Like half slapping the puck from a face off through another player, two defenseman and a goalie top corner.  Have an old VHS tape named Gretzky Fifty Best Goals and that one I can't forget.  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2017 at 7:07 PM, Whale Tail said:

What ever happened to Chris Higgins?

I did a google and can't find anything saying he is playing over seas or announcing his retirement either. Did he just hang the skates up quietly? 

He did his PTO with Flames last year and then I understand fished around for a few landing spots.   Checking I have done doesn't note any hits for the past year.

• 4 weeks later...

I think Theodore is only down because he's ineligible for waivers, where all their other D need to clear. Not sure what preceded Shipachyov getting sent down, but he (or his wife) wasn't happy being in the AHL and he's working out on his own last I heard.

You might get more info in the Vegas thread though: 

On 8/30/2017 at 7:07 PM, Whale Tail said:

What ever happened to Chris Higgins?

I did a google and can't find anything saying he is playing over seas or announcing his retirement either. Did he just hang the skates up quietly? 

He was in studio on 1040 not long ago and he has retired from hockey. Hes enjoying spending time with his family and has made vancouver his home.

• 1 month later...
On 11/26/2016 at 1:46 PM, Cramarossa said:

Trying to find a way to ask this without sounding like a crazed stalker ^_^

I was just going through a few of the Canuck's "Behind the Lens" galleries and saw some pics of the team signing autographs for fans outside their hotels, or outside the rinks before/after practice. How do people know where the team is staying, or what time practice is?? I'm not planning on showing up ahaha, but I've always been curious. I've see videos too where the fans obviously came prepared with full binders of pictures to have signed, etc. How do they know??

yeah right

as if i would help some crazed stalker like you

to haunt boeser till he breaks emotionally

bleh :wub:

here, try this link http://www.fromthisseat.com/index.php/626-general/nhl-hotels/17118-vancouver-canucks-hotels

or google: where the vancouver canucks stay when on the road

Edited by coastal.view
  • Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/2/2017 at 12:21 PM, coastal.view said:

yeah right

as if anyone could answer that with 280 characters or less

it will take pages of explanation :wub:

the brief response - poor management

Ahh the Sabres...what a disaster the last 10 or so years have been. Hoping Botterill can change that around sooner than later.

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking up Florida Panthers goalie Harri Säteri and saw he had been drafted by both the Sharks in the NHL and a team in the KHL. This isn't the first time I've seen this. How can a player be drafted by both? How is it decided where he plays/how he trains/etc. if two teams are claiming him? 

Edited by Cramarossa

1 hour ago, Cramarossa said:

I was looking up Florida Panthers goalie Harri Säteri and saw he had been drafted by both the Sharks in the NHL and a team in the KHL. This isn't the first time I've seen this. How can a player be drafted by both? How is it decided where he plays/how he trains/etc. if two teams are claiming him? 

396600_10150660228003465_129446698464_11298571_2129231544_n.jpg

3 hours ago, Cramarossa said:

It's the player that decides in which league/country he wants to play.  The draft is simply to decide which team owns a player's rights if he wants to play in that league, but it cannot force a player to join their league if he wants to play in another one.  

Edited by mll

2 minutes ago, mll said:

It's the player that decides in which league/country he wants to play.  The draft is simply to decide which team owns a player's rights if he wants to play in that league, but it cannot force a player to join their league if he wants to play in another one.  

How do people get drafted? Do they sign up/enter in, so to speak? To inform a given league they're open to playing there.