The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

General Hockey Questions

Rate this topic

If team is tight capwise and want to sign a player for a lot of money, lets say $7 million, can't they just give him $6 million in bonuses and the other $1 million in cap hit to keep them under the cap max?

I'm unsure about this, but I think bonuses count against the cap (although some of it can be deferred to the next year).

If team is tight capwise and want to sign a player for a lot of money, lets say $7 million, can't they just give him $6 million in bonuses and the other $1 million in cap hit to keep them under the cap max?

Bonuses count against cap until they can't complete them. This is why Rookie salaries are capped at under 1 million, but their cap hit is usually around 3 mil (for top prospects)

Under the current CBA, bonuses still count toward the cap. So if a team wanted to sign that player for 1 year 7 million w/ 6 million in bonuses, the cap would still be 7 million.

Something I'm not sure of is if the contract is 5 years, for example, w/ a signing bonus of 6 million, is that 6 million paid out all at once, or over the length of the contract?

If the cap goes down and teams are then above it (example: If teams are have 68.9M in cap used when its 70M then it goes to 53M) what happens? Do they just dump players?

they should be rolled back on a percentage base. so the sedins make 6.1 million. That 6.1=X% of the old cap, so when they get the new cap, it stays that X%

If a team shoots the puck past the goalkeeper into the goal, how many points is it worth? And how many field goal attempts do they get?

Sincerely,

Phoenix Coyotes fans

Edited by etsen3
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

I remember before there was a thread where questions that didn't need their own thread were asked and anybody could answer and it was a quick way to get an answer to a small question. I don't know where it went but I liked the idea. It diminished the number of threads where the OP is only asking one question that's answered really fast.

Here it is:

It was pinned for a long time so I guess once it was unpinned, it just kept slipping further and further back in the thread list for General Hockey Discussion. The last 2 posts were in February and then it skips back to April 2011 after that. It was pretty forgotten about. Thus the number of one question threads that have popped up recently.

Edit: Just realized that the 3rd last post in that thread from back in April 2011 was you answering my question.

Edited by Where's Wellwood