The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

General Hockey Questions

Rate this topic

That was so long ago I can't recall now. But I thought for high sticks it didn't matter and got blow down either way?

Nope. If the opposition gains control, play continues. I can't say for sure that the rules are the same for goalkeepers, but this is how the rule works for skaters.

Question:

I have never played hockey at all but love watching the sport. For the guys that have played hockey here is my question:

1. What is said in the locker room in times of strife? For example, if a player messes up and costs a goal, what is said? Is there blaming? Do the players just sit in silence? Is there yelling? I'm just curious to see what dynamics occur in a locker room between periods.

Thanks,

1. What is said in the locker room in times of strife? For example, if a player messes up and costs a goal, what is said? Is there blaming? Do the players just sit in silence? Is there yelling? I'm just curious to see what dynamics occur in a locker room between periods.

On the one team I played on that went through bad times, it was just really quiet. Basically everyone just had their showers, got changed and left.

• 4 weeks later...

Question about farm teams. Seems to me that when an nhl team has a farm team they should model there play/systems after the parent club. So when AV was coach I would think that our farm coach would be someone who had relatively the same coaching style. When players are brought up and when rookies are being taught then there would be a more seamless transition to the parent team. It would seem odd to me to have two completely different kind of coaches.

Thanks

Question about NTC.

Let's use Luongo for an example.

Luongo plays for Vancouver and has a full NTC. He agrees to waive it and is traded to Florida. Now, does he still have a NTC in Florida? Or once he waives it, it's done for good?

How come there were three first round game ones played tonight and penalties were almost even between 6 teams, with one team getting an extra 2 minutes? Follow up question. Were the Canucks that dirty against the Sharks last year?

Edited by coyotecanuck

I believe he is the same as any other junior player. He must stay with his team until the end of their season, except in emergency situations.

A question for the refs out there... last night Luongo made that awesome save batting the puck out of the air with the paddle of his stick.

Lusave_zps497e7ce4.jpg

If memory serves correct, play continued after this save. Although the puck doesn't show in the picture, it looks like it was well above shoulder height. Shouldn't that have been blown down as a high stick?

I used to ref...as far as I am aware, a high-sticking call is made when the puck is struck above typical shoulder height so considering Lu was on his knees there, I don't think that would constitute a high-sticking whistle had the Canucks taken possession.

I should actually remember what happened there because I was at that game, just to left of Lu in the lower bowl. But I think I was yanking my dad's shirt with a "did you see that" after that save anyways so I was a bit distracted B).

Question :

For the World Championships. Why arent players like Weber or Hamhuis on there? Is there a reason why "The Best" from the non playoff teams arent picked?

Generally, in Olympic years, Hockey Canada doesn't bother inviting Olympic players to the World Championships. They've had a long enough season already and that way the player isn't put in an awkward position of possibly having to turn down the invite.

I am sure that if one of the Olympic hockey players truly felt the urge to represent Canada a second time in the same year they would reach out to the team GM behind the scenes and let him know they are available.

Question :For the World Championships. Why arent players like Weber or Hamhuis on there? Is there a reason why "The Best" from the non playoff teams arent picked?

Usually its because theyve already felt that they had enough and wanna rest up. Most players, like Hamhuis, said they wanna spend some family time too.

Question: How much of a player's salary are we allowed to retain? And how many contracts can we retain?

I was just thinking for the Canucks or any other team looking to tank, they don't need any cap space so they can retain players' contracts to sweeten the deal and maximize the values

• 2 weeks later...