The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

General Hockey Questions

Rate this topic

NHLers on one ways could also sign AHL contracts, correct? Like Manny for example. Assuming they want to play but not in Europe.

I believe they can't. It is only players on 2 way deals allowed to play in the AHL during lockouts, at least thats how it was last time. One way players either sat out or went to europe

I believe they can't. It is only players on 2 way deals allowed to play in the AHL during lockouts, at least thats how it was last time. One way players either sat out or went to europe

I think any player can be sent down but they are all subject to waivers so any player worth his salt runs the risk of being claimed by another team.

I think any player can be sent down but they are all subject to waivers so any player worth his salt runs the risk of being claimed by another team.

Any player without a NMC can be sent down though they may be subject to waivers. Wade Redden is the perfect example of a NHLer being paid NHL money being sent down. Of course nobody would claim him.

Don't believe so,

Roy Worters was 5 ft 3 inches

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Worters

Who holds the record for longest goal drought?

Are you talking about individual players?

If so, I don't know, but as of 2004, there were two players who had played their entire careers without a goal (and had played a substantial number of games).

Dallas Eakins played 120 games without ever scoring a goal.

But the winner of this one was Steve Halko, who played 155 games without scoring a goal.

Now, this is only for players who never scored a goal, not scoring droughts, but it's something.

EDIT2: Found it using the Vancouver Canucks Media guide from 2010-11 book. Way back on January 6, 1996 we beat the Tampa Bay Lightning 9-2.

No word of a lie, I was at that game and when I was reading through the thread and saw that question I was going to jump in, but, kept reading. I had no idea that was our last 9 goal game, and I was at it!

From what I remember, Alex Mogilny had a hat-trick, Martin Gelinas had 2 goals, Roman Oksuita had 3 or 4 assists and Darren Puppa (the poopster--best nickname ever) got pulled for the Lightning. I remember the Canucks scored the ninth with about 8 or so minutes left and the crowd chanted, "We want Ten" for the last few minutes. Ahhh, good times.....

• Upvote 1

No word of a lie, I was at that game and when I was reading through the thread and saw that question I was going to jump in, but, kept reading. I had no idea that was our last 9 goal game, and I was at it!

From what I remember, Alex Mogilny had a hat-trick, Martin Gelinas had 2 goals, Roman Oksuita had 3 or 4 assists and Darren Puppa (the poopster--best nickname ever) got pulled for the Lightning. I remember the Canucks scored the ninth with about 8 or so minutes left and the crowd chanted, "We want Ten" for the last few minutes. Ahhh, good times.....

Ha, cool! That must've been fun :)

So the guys who suffer the most from this lock out are guys like Shea Weber, Parise and Suter right? Because they just signed huge front loaded contracts??

Not really. They got massive signing bonuses. If anything they're better off than the rest of the players.

Not really. They got massive signing bonuses. If anything they're better off than the rest of the players.

Well, players with front-loaded contracts still lose the most from the lockout, but if they have a signing bonus it makes this year easier for them.

Example, Edler would lose around $3.25M from the lockout, whereas Weber loses a whopping $14M. The difference is that Weber also has a $13M signing bonus. So while he'll be better off during the lockout, he does still lose more money than players without front-loaded contracts.

If a player had signed a huge front-loaded contract without a signing bonus, they'd be in tough this year.

What I've been wondering is, why did the league and the NHLPA only just started trying to make a deal a couple of months ago? Couldn't they have started trying to work something out a year ago so there would be less likelihood of a lockout?

Anybody with an answer to this? So if it's a 5 year $35 million contract w/ a $6 million signing bonus, is the bonus paid out right away or is the 6 million spread out along the length of the contract.

Common sense would lead you to think it's paid out right away but a thread on HF boards I read implied otherwise.

Go to cap geek. Look up Canucks then click on Bieksa. It will show you how much signing bonus is paid to Bieka each year and also it will show some years Bieksa gets no bonus.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Why are assists not given out on penalty shot goals? Basically it acts as a play to replace the illegal one, so any player that would have got an assist on the original play should get one in the event of a successful penalty shot. Seems fair to me as most penalty shots come from breakaways often requiring a pretty nifty heads up pass.

Edited by CanucksSayEh

Why are assists not given out on penalty shot goals? Basically it acts as a play to replace the illegal one, so any player that would have got an assist on the original play should get one in the event of a successful penalty shot. Seems fair to me as most penalty shots come from breakaways often requiring a pretty nifty heads up pass.

it doesn't replace the play anymore than a powerplay does after any other penalty. Play is blown dead, ref points to center ice, penalty shot is taken, no assists

it doesn't replace the play anymore than a powerplay does after any other penalty. Play is blown dead, ref points to center ice, penalty shot is taken, no assists

But you can't get a penalty shot without a true scoring chance, regular penalties can come anywhere on the ice regardless of possession.

• 1 month later...

But you can't get a penalty shot without a true scoring chance, regular penalties can come anywhere on the ice regardless of possession.

While I totally understand the point youre making, perhaps they dont get assists because:

They no longer have any effect on whether or not a goal gets scored.

they set up the play, yes.. but the play ended in a penalty and not a goal... bummer.