The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

General Hockey Questions

Rate this topic

• 3 weeks later...

I've always wondered..

In the NHL, the players get their salary (say 3 million) a season minus taxes plus marketing etc. Would the club paying for a new house (or rent), new car etc for the players count (as salary) or can the club choose to do this as they please?

also In this day and age of cap issues and needing to win always, what would happen if the club says "Here Mr Kesler, $3 million of money and cap space per year but here's an extra $10 million in a suitcase left at your front door?". has this kind of thing ever happened or could it happen behind the scenes? The only repercussion being if the player falls out with the team and joins another (writing a book to tell all in the process).

NHL Game Center vs. Centre Ice

I'm in Alberta and am looking for the best way to watch every Canucks game (instead of just the nationally televised ones.) I seemingly have two choices (unless someone has another); NHL.com's Game Center or Centre Ice through Shaw (my cable provider).

Game Centre is $150 and available on my iPhone, computer and TV (PS3).

Centre Ice is $200 and only available on my TV.

Now that seems like an easy choice, but I have heard some not so great reviews of Game Centre, citing that it is not HD and the stream isn't always smooth. I've never needed to purchase anything like before so am looking for any returning customers for advice.

Thanks in advance.

I've always wondered..

In the NHL, the players get their salary (say 3 million) a season minus taxes plus marketing etc. Would the club paying for a new house (or rent), new car etc for the players count (as salary) or can the club choose to do this as they please?

also In this day and age of cap issues and needing to win always, what would happen if the club says "Here Mr Kesler, $3 million of money and cap space per year but here's an extra $10 million in a suitcase left at your front door?". has this kind of thing ever happened or could it happen behind the scenes? The only repercussion being if the player falls out with the team and joins another (writing a book to tell all in the process).

Happened in the NBA I believe.

http://probasketball...lenko-on-cheap/

IMO I don't think its allowed.

If it was, we'd probably cut off some of the Sedins cap and donate it if they were to anyway.

Edited by Lemons

Torts doesn't understand about the jet lag.

common more defence !?

we scored 5 goals, and got a shut out. what more do you want!

He will figure out some time in the season when HE is jet lagged and he can barely get out of bed, then watch him change his tone.

I Hope Gillis is looking for a reason to bring up this subject, real subtle' and say "You know why you feel like crap think how the team feels"

Question about players playing multiple positions:

It's not crazy for defencemen and forwards to switch it up (see Brent Burns, Byfuglien, Wendel Clark, Phil Housley, etc.)...

But has there ever been a player that also acted as the backup goalie, or a backup goalie that acted as a backup skater (e.g. the 7th or 8th defencemen)?

• 2 weeks later...

Can a different number of teams from each conference make the playoffs? So like 5 teams from one division and 3 from the other? Or does it have to be 4 from each division?

It can be different. The top three from each division make the playoffs. The remaining spot is a wild card spot.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/the-explainer-new-nhl-playoff-seeding-format-1.1871216