The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

General Hockey Questions

Rate this topic

On 9/12/2018 at 11:23 PM, lmm said:

how is it that Mark Striet was drafted when he was 26? Couldn't he just have been signed as a free agent?

Drafted in the same draft as Jannik Hansen, Hansen is 33, Streit is 40.

Rules were different before the 2004/2005 lockout, but yes I do believe he could have been signed as a free agent. However by drafting him, the Canadiens' were able to secure exclusive rights to the player without using a contract.  

1 hour ago, MattJVD said:

Rules were different before the 2004/2005 lockout, but yes I do believe he could have been signed as a free agent. However by drafting him, the Canadiens' were able to secure exclusive rights to the player without using a contract.  

hmm that is weird. I don't recall anyone that old ever being drafted before.

He is/was 6 years older than his drat class.

thanks

2 hours ago, lmm said:

hmm that is weird. I don't recall anyone that old ever being drafted before.

He is/was 6 years older than his drat class.

thanks

As MattJVD said the rules were different back then. European players that went undrafted at their normal draft ages could not come to the NHL until they went through a draft where they were selected. IE: they could not be signed as a free agent. The oldest player ever drafted as a result of these rules was Helmut Balderis.....he was 37 when the Minnesota North Stars selected him.

Edited by Rick Blight

20 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

As MattJVD said the rules were different back then. European players that went undrafted at their normal draft ages could not come to the NHL until they went through a draft where they were selected. IE: they could not be signed as a free agent. The oldest player ever drafted as a result of these rules was Helmut Balderis.....he was 37 when the Minnesota North Stars selected him.

ahh good old Helmut

I still ask my kids if they have their Helmut Baldaris before they go bike riding

• Haha 1

I was just wondering about hockey gear brands, specifically, but not limited to goalie gear. Maybe someone could fill in the blanks.

So, if I have this right, Koho turned into Reebok which has now turned into CCM? What is the relationship between Lefevre and this company? 

How about what ever happened to TPS? Heaton? Christian? Brown? Cooper?

Have Brian's & Vaughn always catered exclusively to goalies or have they ever made the foray into player gear?  

Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

How has Gabriel Vilardi played two games in the AHL this year ? He’s a 99 birthyear only in his D+2 season. 

He's been sent there on a conditioning assignment.  He was never assigned back to the OHL because he was recovering from a back injury.

Horvat also did one in Utica in his D+2 season.   He went in October 2014 for 5 games when he was still 19 - he's born in April 1995.

Edited by mll

3 minutes ago, mll said:

He's been sent there on a conditioning assignment.  He was never assigned back to the OHL because he was recovering from a back injury.

Horvat also did one in Utica in his D+2 season.   He went in October 2014 for 5 games when he was still 19 - he's born in April 1995.

So is he with the big club for the season then?

9 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Not typically.  Using white tape helps provide contrast so it's easier to see the puck.

I figured. Leads to my next question, why do some skaters use black tape? Doesn't that make it hard for them to see? Are the tape textures different?

9 hours ago, Cramarossa said:

I figured. Leads to my next question, why do some skaters use black tape? Doesn't that make it hard for them to see? Are the tape textures different?

It hides the puck from the goalie.

If the player is doing it right, they never need to look at the puck on their stick.  Goalies, however, are always looking for the puck.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

When a goalie gets pulled (either injury or poor play) how is it determined which goalie wins or loses the game? Is it whichever goalie is last in the net when the game ended? Is it based upon the number of minutes each one played? Aren't there some games where neither goalie is credited with the win/loss?

ETA: I realized I phrased this kind of strangely. Imagine Jacob Markström started a game but got pulled and replaced by Nilsson. I'm asking how is it determined whether it was Marky or Nilly that won/loss that game for stat purposes.

Edited by Cramarossa

22 minutes ago, Cramarossa said:

When a goalie gets pulled (either injury or poor play) how is it determined which goalie wins or loses the game? Is it whichever goalie is last in the net when the game ended? Is it based upon the number of minutes each one played? Aren't there some games where neither goalie is credited with the win/loss?

ETA: I realized I phrased this kind of strangely. Imagine Jacob Markström started a game but got pulled and replaced by Nilsson. I'm asking how is it determined whether it was Marky or Nilly that won/loss that game for stat purposes.

I could be wrong here but I think it depends on the situation. If the new goalie comes in in a tie game, the second goalie gets the W or L. If a goalie comes in while losing and his team ends up winning, that second goalie will get the W. If the replacement comes in while winning I think it depends on minutes played. It can also be dependent on goals scored while he’s in, i.e.: he comes in while winning 3-2 but wins 5-4 after surrendinf the lead, the W will belong to the second goalie. 

20 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I could be wrong here but I think it depends on the situation. If the new goalie comes in in a tie game, the second goalie gets the W or L. If a goalie comes in while losing and his team ends up winning, that second goalie will get the W. If the replacement comes in while winning I think it depends on minutes played. It can also be dependent on goals scored while he’s in, i.e.: he comes in while winning 3-2 but wins 5-4 after surrendinf the lead, the W will belong to the second goalie. 

I believe it's dependant on when the winning goal is scored. So if a goalie comes in when they're down 5-1 and still end up losing 5-4, the first goalie let in the winning goal and takes the loss. Or in the same situation if they end up losing 6-5, then the second goalie gets the loss because the game winner was let in by the second goalie. But if they come back from being down 5-1 and win 6-5, then the second goalie gets the win as the eventual winner is scored when the second goalie was in.