Sign in to follow this  
Where's Wellwood

General Hockey Questions

Rate this topic

What's the deal with new signees (i.e. Makar) being able to play in the playoffs.  I thought they had to he signed by the TDL.

Clearly, I'm thinking wrong, but I thought I read something similar on CDC about that.

Thanks in advance for setting me straight.

9 minutes ago, Kragar said:

What's the deal with new signees (i.e. Makar) being able to play in the playoffs.  I thought they had to he signed by the TDL.

Clearly, I'm thinking wrong, but I thought I read something similar on CDC about that.

Thanks in advance for setting me straight.

Players who are on a team's reserve list are eligible for the post season.  Free agent signings post TDL aren't.

If the Canucks were playing now - Quinn Hughes could have been in the lineup but not Teves because he was a free agent signing.   

• Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, mll said:

Players who are on a team's reserve list are eligible for the post season.  Free agent signings post TDL aren't.

If the Canucks were playing now - Quinn Hughes could have been in the lineup but not Teves because he was a free agent signing.   

Thanks.  I always thought it would have sucked for Hughes had he been a big part of the Canucks squeaking in only to have him sit out of the playoffs. 

Came across this story about an amazing young Japanese hockey player:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/aito-iguchi-japanese-hockey-prospect-big-read/

It's a long read, so I'll just post the link, but all you really need to do is watch the video near the middle of the article. Kid has some sick puck handling skills....

8 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Came across this story about an amazing young Japanese hockey player:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/aito-iguchi-japanese-hockey-prospect-big-read/

It's a long read, so I'll just post the link, but all you really need to do is watch the video near the middle of the article. Kid has some sick puck handling skills....

I once heard of this one Japanese hockey player Taro Tsujimoto.  He was a heck of a player. :bigblush:

10 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

I once heard of this one Japanese hockey player Taro Tsujimoto.  He was a heck of a player. :bigblush:

One of the Sabres' best ever draft picks...right up there Gilbert Perreault....

The Simpsons getting in on the fun...

In an episode entitled D'oh Canada, Lisa wakes up in a Canadian hospital. An RCMP officer is at her bedside and informs her that she while in Canada, she is to be assigned her own hockey team.

Lisa closes her eyes and whispers "Please not Ottawa...please not Ottawa"...:lol:

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Has it ever happened in the playoffs where each team sweeps the other to the finals ? 

Example if bruins sweep hurricanes. 

Penguins - islanders - hurricanes - bruins. 

Posted (edited)

What is the record for regular season games played in one season by a single player, and how hard would it be to break that record?

Do players on the roster get paid  their salary, divided by the games they play, or by weeks in the season?

Edited by gurn

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

What is the record for regular season games played in one season by a single player, and how hard would it be to break that record?

Do players on the roster get paid by their salary divided by, the games they play, or by weeks in the season?

Jimmy Carson and Bob Kudelski are tied at 86 games apiece.

In '92-'93 Carson played 52 games for the Red Wings before being traded to the Kings where he played another 34 games.  In '93-'94 Kudelski played 42 games for the Senators and 44 for the Panthers.

I'm not sure how the salary works though.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, gurn said:

Do players on the roster get paid  their salary, divided by the games they play, or by weeks in the season?

days.  

Players on two-ways who come up from the AHL might not get into a game but receive a NHL salary for the days they are up. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/28/2019 at 3:48 PM, gurn said:

On 5/29/2019 at 6:44 AM, mll said:

days.  

Players on two-ways who come up from the AHL might not get into a game but receive a NHL salary for the days they are up. 

Aren't legit NHL players paid quarterly?

For example, myers contract is apparently not based on bonus".

So he makes 6 million per year ÷ 4 = 1500000?

3 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Aren't legit NHL players paid quarterly?

For example, myers contract is apparently not based on bonus".

So he makes 6 million per year ÷ 4 = 1500000?

CapFriendly partnered with them for their tax calculator.

Looks to be every 2 weeks - mid-month and end of month.   

• Thanks 1

Any of you fans know how the salary works..i look at the sportrac salary cap and shows the amount signed..my question is signing bonus performance bonus and minor salary..i look at joe hicketts  of red wings it says no signing bonus 700000 a year but minors salary is 90000 ..then i read it is guaranteed 1.4 million for two years...so sven is make over 3million in utica and goldy 900000 one way deal...do they pro rate it for call ups...performance bonus for some players are huge...

Edited by hockeygod77

so if petey is on break away takes a slap shot and breaks his stick say ..then he grabs a stick he finds on the ice that was the other teams stick that was knocked out of his hand and he shoot and scores does the goal count...or even say it was his team mates stick and scores... other rule can the d man give his stick to the goalie....or the goalie give his stick to a player...can you score with one glove missing...helmut on or off..

Edited by hockeygod77
spelling

From what I know, as long as he scored with a stick that isn’t broken, the goal will stand.

Player just isn’t allowed to play the puck with a broken stick.

See above,

But also

Defenceman can give his stick to a goalie if its a legal hand off

Goalie can give his stick to defenceman (but shouldn't)

You can score when only wearing 1 glove

You can potentially score without a helmet, but it will be the refs interpretation of Rule 9.6, and what they consider a reasonable period of time.

A player on the ice whose helmet comes off during play shall be assessed a minor penalty if he does not exit the playing surface, or retrieve and replace his helmet properly on his head (with or without his chin strap fastened), within a reasonable period of time

34 minutes ago, hockeygod77 said:

so if petey is on break away takes a slap shot and breaks his stick say ..then he grabs a stick he finds on the ice that was the other teams stick that was knocked out of his hand and he shoot and scores 

Would make a highlight reel goal for sure if he pulls it off.

• Like 1

You cannot play with an opponent's stick, but you can play with a teammate's stick.

You also can only carry one stick at a time.

Edit:  I looked it up.  A player cannot play with a goalie stick.

Edited by goalie13
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1