The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

General Hockey Questions

Rate this topic

8 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

You cannot play with an opponent's stick, but you can play with a teammate's stick.

You also can only carry one stick at a time.

I swear I have seen a player score with his opponent's stick before. I think it was a Anaheim player. I'll have to google/youtube this.

Edit: Yeah, it was Bobby Ryan. Lol. He scored with Mikko Koivu's stick. Good times.

Edited by N7Nucks
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I could have sworn a player scored with his opponent's stick before. I think it was a Anaheim player. I'll have to google/youtube this.

Edit: Yeah, it was Bobby Ryan. Lol. He scored with Mikko Koivu's stick. Good times.

He got away with one there.  Kuznetsov got a penalty for it.

https://scoutingtherefs.com/2018/12/24271/caps-kuznetsov-penalized-for-playing-with-opponents-stick/

Here's the rulebook...

10.3 Broken Stick – Player - A broken stick is one which, in the opinion of the Referee, is unfit for normal play.

A player without a stick may participate in the game. A player whose stick is broken may participate in the game provided he drops the broken stick. A minor penalty shall be imposed for an infraction of this rule.

A player who has lost or broken his stick may receive a replacement stick by having one handed to him from his own players’ bench; by having one handed to him by a teammate on the ice; or, by picking up his own unbroken stick or that of a teammate’s from the ice. A player will be penalized if he throws, tosses, slides or shoots a stick to a teammate on the ice, or if he picks up and plays with an opponent’s stick. A player may not participate in the play using a goalkeeper’s stick. A minor penalty shall be imposed for an infraction of this rule.

A player tendered a stick thrown on the ice from the players’ or penalty bench will not receive a penalty. However, the person responsible for throwing the stick will receive a bench minor penalty. 

• Haha 1

Just now, goalie13 said:

He got away with one there.  Kuznetsov got a penalty for it.

https://scoutingtherefs.com/2018/12/24271/caps-kuznetsov-penalized-for-playing-with-opponents-stick/

Here's the rulebook...

Makes sense. Glad Ryan got away with it though. Just for the laughs alone. I think he also got a pass cause Koivu stole Ryan's stick and played with it. It'd look bad to punish Ryan for playing with Koivu's stick when the reason he had no stick to begin with was cause Koivu swiped it. Lol.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Makes sense. Glad Ryan got away with it though. Just for the laughs alone. I think he also got a pass cause Koivu stole Ryan's stick and played with it. It'd look bad to punish Ryan for playing with Koivu's stick when the reason he had no stick to begin with was cause Koivu swiped it. Lol.

Totally.  I think it made all the highlight shows that week.

For those that have no idea what we are talking about:

With all the recent rule changes, that would now be a review-able play.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Do you hold the record for most locked threads? Did you try and Google the rules before making this? 

are you a cull that goes to rogers arena and sits there eats popcorn and boos and yells..did you buy a canuck jersey and hang it up in your room..did you get to every play ice hockey..

• Wat 1

3 minutes ago, hockeygod77 said:

are you a cull that goes to rogers arena and sits there eats popcorn and boos and yells..did you buy a canuck jersey and hang it up in your room..did you get to every play ice hockey..

• You might be thinking of Trent Cull
  • Popcorn is disgusting
  • A boo could be considered a yell
  • Yes
  • Yes Image result for ice hockey nes
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JayDangles said:

See above,

But also

Defenceman can give his stick to a goalie if its a legal hand off

Goalie can give his stick to defenceman (but shouldn't)

You can score when only wearing 1 glove

You can potentially score without a helmet, but it will be the refs interpretation of Rule 9.6, and what they consider a reasonable period of time.

A player on the ice whose helmet comes off during play shall be assessed a minor penalty if he does not exit the playing surface, or retrieve and replace his helmet properly on his head (with or without his chin strap fastened), within a reasonable period of time

if you have the puck or engage in the play  you can play with out the helmet  but like you said  interpretations will differ from ref to ref , too much gray area , I can see this leading up to problem in a big game .

2 hours ago, hockeygod77 said:

so if petey is on break away takes a slap shot and breaks his stick say ..then he grabs a stick he finds on the ice that was the other teams stick that was knocked out of his hand and he shoot and scores does the goal count...or even say it was his team mates stick and scores... other rule can the d man give his stick to the goalie....or the goalie give his stick to a player...can you score with one glove missing...helmut on or off..

You should look up the thread called GENERAL HOCKEY QUESTIONS. Not everything needs a new thread.

Here's one that bugs me. A dman makes a beautiful pass to set a forward off on a breakaway. Player on the breakaway gets hauled down and scores on his penalty shot. To me the original pass should warrant an assist. It currently doesn't get recorded as one. Bugs me. 

17 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Maybe you can consider it as the opposing player "played the puck" between when the pass was made and before the penalty shot resulted in a goal.  :frantic:

Nah. It's the old dman in me. I want the assist! Lol.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/11/2019 at 2:42 PM, NUCKER67 said:

So, Player A drops his stick, and Player B (who also doesn't have a stick) picks up Player A's stick and scores? Wouldn't that be considered interference on Player B?

Yep. Just like if you push, or kick the stick away when player A tries to pick it up.