Sign in to follow this  
Where's Wellwood

General Hockey Questions

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

On 10/11/2019 at 2:42 PM, NUCKER67 said:

So, Player A drops his stick, and Player B (who also doesn't have a stick) picks up Player A's stick and scores? Wouldn't that be considered interference on Player B?

Yep. Just like if you push, or kick the stick away when player A tries to pick it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know when the issues of what the Salary Cap will be for the 20-21 season will be resolved?  

Obviously there is uncertainty about ticket revenues and that doesn't look like it will be resolved any time soon.  Will games be played with fans or without?  Can they make up some of that revenue by making the games PPV?  Will teams be able to travel?  

Games can be broadcast so TV Network revenues probably aren't at risk.  

Merchandise revenues may be up in the air but I doubt they contribute much to salary cap?  

Does anything short of a roll back have to be negotiated with the NHLPA?  

 

I've heard that players are already concerned with how they are being paid for the balance of this season, they are trying to keep it out of the media so it doesn't turn into what is happening with the MLB.  Do all players get paid out 100% of this years salary whether they play into the playoff scramble or not?  Or is their salary prorated based on the % of the season played, i.e March and how many games were completed out of 82?  For someone who makes millions it's not as big an issue, but for the lower tier players who make less than 1M, it can be a big deal.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Heres one - does anyone know, if we become a hub city, will we be able to attend games? Ill wear an effin hazmat suit if I have to....with a foam dome!

Edited by VanIsleNuckFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, VanIsleNuckFan said:

Heres one - does anyone know, if we become a hub city, will we be able to attend games? Ill wear an effin hazmat suit if I have to....with a foam dome!

As of right now, no , no fans will be allowed.  Who knows how things might progress though 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

As of right now, no , no fans will be allowed.  Who knows how things might progress though 

Thanks for the response! And darn, makes sense.. I wonder how they will combat all the swearing we will now hear from the players, LOL!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2020 at 11:10 PM, VanIsleNuckFan said:

Thanks for the response! And darn, makes sense.. I wonder how they will combat all the swearing we will now hear from the players, LOL!

No fans till a vaccine is made per big boss Aqui

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2019 at 4:54 PM, Where's Wellwood said:

If a goal is scored exactly 2 minutes after a penalty was called, is it a powerplay goal? or has the penalty expired?

 

Penalty expired 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/10/2020 at 3:57 PM, skategal said:

Does anyone know when the issues of what the Salary Cap will be for the 20-21 season will be resolved?  

Obviously there is uncertainty about ticket revenues and that doesn't look like it will be resolved any time soon.  Will games be played with fans or without?  Can they make up some of that revenue by making the games PPV?  Will teams be able to travel?  

Games can be broadcast so TV Network revenues probably aren't at risk.  

Merchandise revenues may be up in the air but I doubt they contribute much to salary cap?  

Does anything short of a roll back have to be negotiated with the NHLPA?  

 

I've heard that players are already concerned with how they are being paid for the balance of this season, they are trying to keep it out of the media so it doesn't turn into what is happening with the MLB.  Do all players get paid out 100% of this years salary whether they play into the playoff scramble or not?  Or is their salary prorated based on the % of the season played, i.e March and how many games were completed out of 82?  For someone who makes millions it's not as big an issue, but for the lower tier players who make less than 1M, it can be a big deal.  

 

The NHL and NHLPA are discussing a new CBA which they hope to submit to a vote at the same time as the return to pay plan.

 

Renaud Lavoie has TV revenue worth about 650M.  It's about a 5 billion dollar league.  They need gate revenue and merchandising to operate.  The league is probably going to operate at a loss for a few years.  They have to negotiate a new US TV deal for the 2021/22 season so the hope is that it will help recoup part of their losses.

 

Those TV contracts have apparently penalties if a certain number of games aren't played in a season.

 

Everything CBA and cap related has to be negotiated with the NHLPA.  They share the losses.  In the current CBA there is a clause that foresees that hockey related revenue (HRR) is split equally between the league and the players.

 

Even before the pandemic the players' salaries were more than half of revenue.  The cap was artificially too high so they had to pay back part of their salaries.  It's the escrow issue.  Escrow is to ensure that when all is said and done, players and owners get and equal half of revenue.  Salaries paid to players are more than 50% of revenue so they retain amounts in escrow to allow owners to pay themselves back once revenue is determined.

 

The league is talking of losses of well upwards of 1 billion if play doesn't resume.  The 14% that players have paid in escrow this 2019/20 season is by far insufficient to cover their share of the losses.  There are discussions that escrow could be 35%.  Coming back to complete the playoffs would bring escrow to about 27%.

 

Players's base salary are paid roughly every two weeks during the regular season that runs from October to April.  Bonuses are often paid on 1 July but not necessarily - players have that set in their contracts.  The amount they will effectively bring back will depend on the final escrow numbers.

 

The players have decided to differ payment of their final salary instalment back in April - about 120M.  They are waiting to know what percentage should go back to owners via escrow. 


There's no salary payment in the playoffs.  There is a fund of 16M to be distributed among the different teams - the size of the fund is set in the CBA.   The distribution key is decided by the NHLPA with approval of the league.  Each team then decides how they allocate their share to the different players.  That fund is negligible in comparison to the impact on escrow - 16M with 16 playoff teams is on average just 1M per team.  Playoff revenue is part of HRR (hockey related revenue) and it helps lower escrow.  

 

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mll said:

Renaud Lavoie has TV revenue worth about 650M

That is a whole lot of money for a reporter to be making.:shock:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Huge thank you to @mllfor the very detailed explanation of all the financial gyrations and implications.  I was clear on what/how escrow operated or all the details that you shared.  I really appreciate the time you took to respond and the amount of explanation you provided.  Hugely educational for me and hopefully others!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

curious why there's no reseeding after the play in round lol.. coz the #1 seed will play vs the 8 or 9th seed.. but the #3 and #4 seed have the potential to play the 11th or 12th worse team??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

curious why there's no reseeding after the play in round lol.. coz the #1 seed will play vs the 8 or 9th seed.. but the #3 and #4 seed have the potential to play the 11th or 12th worse team??

They are re-seeding after every round.

 

The play-ins will determine which are the teams 5 to 8 based on point percentage of the teams that make it through.  Canucks could be 5, 6 or 7.  They can't be 8 because the Winnipeg-Calgary play-ins has both teams ranked lower than the Canucks.  Nashville-Arizona and Edmonton-Chicago have a better ranked team playing a worse ranked team.  If Nashville and Edmonton come through then the Canucks would be 7.  They could be 5 if both Arizona and Chicago win.

 

1 to 4 will be the bye-teams.  They will play a round robin to determine their ranking.  They will use the regular season point percentage to break up ties.

 

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, mll said:

They are re-seeding after every round.

 

The play-ins will determine which are the teams 5 to 8 based on point percentage of the teams that make it through.  Canucks could be 5, 6 or 7.  They can't be 8 because the Winnipeg-Calgary play-ins has both teams ranked lower than the Canucks.  Nashville-Arizona and Edmonton-Chicago have a better ranked team playing a worse ranked team.  If Nashville and Edmonton come through then the Canucks would be 7.  They could be 5 if both Arizona and Chicago win.

 

1 to 4 will be the bye-teams.  They will play a round robin to determine their ranking.  They will use the regular season point percentage to break up ties.

 

ok good coz at first i read they were not gonna thx for clariifying

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.