The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

General Hockey Questions

Rate this topic

Does anyone know when the issues of what the Salary Cap will be for the 20-21 season will be resolved?  

Obviously there is uncertainty about ticket revenues and that doesn't look like it will be resolved any time soon.  Will games be played with fans or without?  Can they make up some of that revenue by making the games PPV?  Will teams be able to travel?  

Games can be broadcast so TV Network revenues probably aren't at risk.  

Merchandise revenues may be up in the air but I doubt they contribute much to salary cap?  

Does anything short of a roll back have to be negotiated with the NHLPA?  

I've heard that players are already concerned with how they are being paid for the balance of this season, they are trying to keep it out of the media so it doesn't turn into what is happening with the MLB.  Do all players get paid out 100% of this years salary whether they play into the playoff scramble or not?  Or is their salary prorated based on the % of the season played, i.e March and how many games were completed out of 82?  For someone who makes millions it's not as big an issue, but for the lower tier players who make less than 1M, it can be a big deal.  

47 minutes ago, VanIsleNuckFan said:

Heres one - does anyone know, if we become a hub city, will we be able to attend games? Ill wear an effin hazmat suit if I have to....with a foam dome!

As of right now, no , no fans will be allowed.  Who knows how things might progress though 

11 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

As of right now, no , no fans will be allowed.  Who knows how things might progress though 

Thanks for the response! And darn, makes sense.. I wonder how they will combat all the swearing we will now hear from the players, LOL!

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/10/2020 at 3:57 PM, skategal said:

Does anyone know when the issues of what the Salary Cap will be for the 20-21 season will be resolved?  

Obviously there is uncertainty about ticket revenues and that doesn't look like it will be resolved any time soon.  Will games be played with fans or without?  Can they make up some of that revenue by making the games PPV?  Will teams be able to travel?  

Games can be broadcast so TV Network revenues probably aren't at risk.  

Merchandise revenues may be up in the air but I doubt they contribute much to salary cap?  

Does anything short of a roll back have to be negotiated with the NHLPA?  

I've heard that players are already concerned with how they are being paid for the balance of this season, they are trying to keep it out of the media so it doesn't turn into what is happening with the MLB.  Do all players get paid out 100% of this years salary whether they play into the playoff scramble or not?  Or is their salary prorated based on the % of the season played, i.e March and how many games were completed out of 82?  For someone who makes millions it's not as big an issue, but for the lower tier players who make less than 1M, it can be a big deal.  

The NHL and NHLPA are discussing a new CBA which they hope to submit to a vote at the same time as the return to pay plan.

Renaud Lavoie has TV revenue worth about 650M.  It's about a 5 billion dollar league.  They need gate revenue and merchandising to operate.  The league is probably going to operate at a loss for a few years.  They have to negotiate a new US TV deal for the 2021/22 season so the hope is that it will help recoup part of their losses.

Those TV contracts have apparently penalties if a certain number of games aren't played in a season.

Everything CBA and cap related has to be negotiated with the NHLPA.  They share the losses.  In the current CBA there is a clause that foresees that hockey related revenue (HRR) is split equally between the league and the players.

Even before the pandemic the players' salaries were more than half of revenue.  The cap was artificially too high so they had to pay back part of their salaries.  It's the escrow issue.  Escrow is to ensure that when all is said and done, players and owners get and equal half of revenue.  Salaries paid to players are more than 50% of revenue so they retain amounts in escrow to allow owners to pay themselves back once revenue is determined.

The league is talking of losses of well upwards of 1 billion if play doesn't resume.  The 14% that players have paid in escrow this 2019/20 season is by far insufficient to cover their share of the losses.  There are discussions that escrow could be 35%.  Coming back to complete the playoffs would bring escrow to about 27%.

Players's base salary are paid roughly every two weeks during the regular season that runs from October to April.  Bonuses are often paid on 1 July but not necessarily - players have that set in their contracts.  The amount they will effectively bring back will depend on the final escrow numbers.

The players have decided to differ payment of their final salary instalment back in April - about 120M.  They are waiting to know what percentage should go back to owners via escrow. 

There's no salary payment in the playoffs.  There is a fund of 16M to be distributed among the different teams - the size of the fund is set in the CBA.   The distribution key is decided by the NHLPA with approval of the league.  Each team then decides how they allocate their share to the different players.  That fund is negligible in comparison to the impact on escrow - 16M with 16 playoff teams is on average just 1M per team.  Playoff revenue is part of HRR (hockey related revenue) and it helps lower escrow.  

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1

Huge thank you to @mllfor the very detailed explanation of all the financial gyrations and implications.  I was clear on what/how escrow operated or all the details that you shared.  I really appreciate the time you took to respond and the amount of explanation you provided.  Hugely educational for me and hopefully others!  

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

curious why there's no reseeding after the play in round lol.. coz the #1 seed will play vs the 8 or 9th seed.. but the #3 and #4 seed have the potential to play the 11th or 12th worse team??

They are re-seeding after every round.

The play-ins will determine which are the teams 5 to 8 based on point percentage of the teams that make it through.  Canucks could be 5, 6 or 7.  They can't be 8 because the Winnipeg-Calgary play-ins has both teams ranked lower than the Canucks.  Nashville-Arizona and Edmonton-Chicago have a better ranked team playing a worse ranked team.  If Nashville and Edmonton come through then the Canucks would be 7.  They could be 5 if both Arizona and Chicago win.

1 to 4 will be the bye-teams.  They will play a round robin to determine their ranking.  They will use the regular season point percentage to break up ties.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, mll said:

They are re-seeding after every round.

The play-ins will determine which are the teams 5 to 8 based on point percentage of the teams that make it through.  Canucks could be 5, 6 or 7.  They can't be 8 because the Winnipeg-Calgary play-ins has both teams ranked lower than the Canucks.  Nashville-Arizona and Edmonton-Chicago have a better ranked team playing a worse ranked team.  If Nashville and Edmonton come through then the Canucks would be 7.  They could be 5 if both Arizona and Chicago win.

1 to 4 will be the bye-teams.  They will play a round robin to determine their ranking.  They will use the regular season point percentage to break up ties.

ok good coz at first i read they were not gonna thx for clariifying

• 1 month later...

Question.

why doesn’t a game ever face off on time, like ever?

in UK if a football or rugby match kicks off at say 3:30pm you can bet that within 30s of that time the game would have started.

in the NHL it seems like it’s constantly 10-20 mins after this time that the match actually starts 

What will the NHL do for the 2020/21 season? I can't imagine anything being anywhere near normal by late fall. And the NHL and players will want a season.

Do each of the divisions have their own bubbles (4 bubbles) and they play only divisional teams all season? I'm not sure how that would work. The players would be away form their families for months. And then playoffs? Hmm

Edited by NUCKER67

42 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

What will the NHL do for the 2020/21 season? I can't imagine anything being anywhere near normal by late fall. And the NHL and players will want a season.

Do each of the divisions have their own bubbles (4 bubbles) and they play only divisional teams all season? I'm not sure how that would work. The players would be away form their families for months. And then playoffs? Hmm

Bubble works for post season as the numbers dwindle, and the duration is time bound so only the successfully teams stay on.

doing it for a whole season is a bit much and probably not good for player mental health.

all credit to the nhl to get this working but it’s an interim solution 

49 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

Bubble works for post season as the numbers dwindle, and the duration is time bound so only the successfully teams stay on.

doing it for a whole season is a bit much and probably not good for player mental health.

all credit to the nhl to get this working but it’s an interim solution 

Yeah, who knows what they'll do. We're seeing with baseball that travel (out of a bubble) is not recommended. Maybe the 4 bubbles will be in the U.S., where they seem to ignore the advice of their health officials and there won''t be any quarantine? Families would be able to visit/stay with players, etc. Should be interesring.

I watched a Kit Kat Chunky commercial the other day during the game which featured Brent Burns not able to fit a chocolate bar in his mouth . After drawing up on a white board a plan to open his mouth wider he is able to eat his chocolate bar and he is happy. Has anyone seen this? He portrayed the worlds dumbest man .

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, thrago said:

If you have to protect players with a NTC for the expansion draft. If you gave all the players you want to keep NTC would they be protected even if you ran out of slots?

No team has handed out 8 NMCs or has 2 goalies with NMCs.  Teams can protect either 8 skaters or 7 F + 3 D.  As long as they have less than 8 NMCs - they'll be able to use the 8 skater option (whether they want it or not as they have to honour the NMCs).  Otherwise I'd think they'd have to buyout players to have at most 8 NMCs or convince players to waive.  Teams knew that the expansion was coming.  It they deliberately hand out NMCs it's them trying to circumvent expansion rules and I doubt the league will see that too kindly.

It's NMCs and not NTCs.  The expansion is considered a movement and not a trade.  NMC is a no movement clause where it protects players from being moved - expansion or demoted to the AHL.

• 1 month later...

Did Colorado qualify all their RFAs?  

They could be looking at about 16 million awarded between Zadorov, Graves, Burakovsky, Kamenev, Jost and Nishuskin!