The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

good phones for better reception.

hudson bay rules

I'm not one that likes to spend a lot of money on phones and plans so when Virgin Mobile came to Canada (since bought out by Bell) I just bought a cheap Samsung (maybe 6 years old now) and went with a prepaid plan. Well, I'm tired of dropped calls (I live in a basement of a house in Toronto). I'm curious as to how to choose a phone that holds onto a signal better without spending a fortune.

Thanx in advance.

I've never had a dropped call on my Blackberry 9900, having said that, there are newer phones that might have better reception, but will also cost you more.

Edit: I can't actually say I recall reception being a problem on any of my Blackberries, and I've had four.

You may just want to look into a signal booster for your basement suite. They can be a little pricey, but well worth it to get rid of the frustration of dropped calls. I had friends come over with various phones and cell providers, and everyone had issues using their phones in my suite.

Bell perhaps left Virgin customers on the Virgin towers?

Put in a way that doesn't sound completely different than intended, keeping a bad service bad might promote them moving to other Bell services.. as Bell's reception is virtually the same as Rogers' and Telus' vast networks.

Also, technology on phones has improved greatly in the area of reception and bandwidth. A 6 year old phone likely is crap compared to today's phones.

I also had issues with calls dropping in the foyer, garage, and basement when temporarily going with Wind.

I think it's a mixture of being on old/bad towers, and having an outdated phone.

Even though I hate BBs, they probably do have the best reception. I'm using a Galaxy Nexus (high end Samsung phone) and my friend's 2 year old BB gets full bars while I'm barely getting 1 in some areas, and we're both on the same provider. I'd say the cheapest provider with good reception would be Chatr.

Archived