The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Kassian has motivation to move from Canucks project to prime-time player

JohnLocke

Do you believe Kassian will eventually step into a top six power forward role and excel?   

320 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Even as one of the more ardent critics of this trade; I have always maintained I would cheer for Kassian and be objective.

This article is great; he is saying the right things and by all reports putting in the necessary work! Well done Zack!

My fave items to quote from the article;

- “I still have a sour taste left in my mouth not playing in the last game,” . “I remember those things and I want to prove myself.

I absolutely love the accountability! It reminds me of Hank blaming himself for not scoring enough in the SCF, then showing up with the highest VO2 score on the team. Zack has also been reported to be working his arse off!

- “Vancouver really helped me and I feel good. I think I can bring a physical and intimidating edge, but at the same time a scoring touch and make plays

This is certainly the player we want; a man who understands his role!

- “This is a great spot for me and it’s time for me to prove it,” said Kassian. “It’s an opportunity. Last year was my first pro season and there are a lot of ups and downs. It’s unbelievable here. Any time you play in a Canadian city — and especially Vancouver — it’s crazy. In Buffalo, there is good hockey and good fans but this is a whole different level!

And here he is relishing, not shying from the pressure!

I also liked him wishing Hodgson well!

I am becoming a fan!

:towel:

Awesome article. I love this kid! He is one of my favourite prospects on the Canucks and I know that with his determination, he will prove to be the player he was projected to be. :towel:

I'm not buying it, over rated hype if you ask me. Let the kid go slow, he was not even ready for the forth line last year. Everyone needs to wait and see if he is ready for the NHL next season. The kid may never be ready, he has not shown he can play with the energy he needs to to be a competive player in the NHL.

He'll be better this year and that fact is no other Canuck has the size, mean streak, skill and will to be a "Lucic" type player for this team. I think it won't be long before he eats Coho for breakfast and then looks for lunch. Those who think Kassian should have done all that in his rookie season need a serious HEAD SHAKE!

If Kassian gets a regular shift in the top-6 it because:

1.) Doan isn't here (ie. he didn't sign or was not in the line up for some reason);

2.) a (top-6) right winger wasn't sent here in the assumed Luongo deal;

3.) some other UFA/traded player/prospect out-plays him.

I'd be happy if Kassian got regular 3rd line minutes. Anything lower and I'd be inclined to put him in the AHL where he could get more ice time to work on his game. Further, I believe that if Kassian is on the third line then there's got to be a pretty good guy playing ahead of him.,,, cue the "yeah, he'll be playing behind Raymond" comments.

regards,

G.

In 2-3 years he will be a 30-40 goal guy, mark my words. We saw the flashes of talent last year and he needs ice time to prove it. The Sedins did absolutely nothing until Bertuzzi broke a neck and Naslund didn't care anymore, as soon as they got they ice time they scored at a point-per-game pace.

I think most importantly ,as a physical player expected to enforce and intimidate, he needs to learn how to play his role without taking too many stupid penalties. Of course with that role you are going to accumulate high PIM, the key is all about the timing and being smart. When and when not to risk taking a penalty or also when you need to change the momentum and make a statement by taking an obvious one.

I'm not really worried about his offensive side, with top six minutes I'm sure he can easily get 40pts and I'm happy with that as long has he is perfecting his enforcer role. That is the real reason Gillis brought him in, isn't it?

Either he turns to be a bertuzzi or Steve bernier, It'll be awesome to see what happens. Could be better than bertuzzi, who knows until a couple years. It's going to be awesome and bernier was a cool player. Physical edge, and I believe he played great for us in the playoffs when he was with him. Kassian will be badass!

I want Kassian to prove me wrong this season. I'm not as high on the kid as most Canuck fans but I would be ecstatic if he made me eat my words and put up solid numbers this upcoming season. He had those flashes of brilliance in his first few games but then lost his groove which really left a sour taste in my mouth (and his too). If Kassian can find chemistry with Schroeder or the Sedin's, then this team gets a hell of a lot better.

Either he turns to be a bertuzzi or Steve bernier, It'll be awesome to see what happens. Could be better than bertuzzi, who knows until a couple years. It's going to be awesome and bernier was a cool player. Physical edge, and I believe he played great for us in the playoffs when he was with him. Kassian will be badass!

I like kassian's potential but he really has to prove himself this year. If he does well and Vancouver signs Doan for 4yrs then pretty sure Hansen is a goner :(

D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Doan

Booth-Kesler-Burrows

Higgins-Lapierre-Kassian

Volpatti-Malholtra-Weiss

Archived