49 replies to this topic

#1 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,058 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:12 PM

By all appearances there will be no hockey come October. While the Canucks are relatively healthy financially there are many USA teams that are on the edge of failure. PHX, NJD, NYI and CBJ to name a few. It appears the NHL is serious about getting its house in order this time.

Sitting a year impacts the Canucks as their playoff timeline is now not 3 or 4 years from now. Even completing a trade for Luongo will probably nopt happen until a settlement. IMO a lockout hurts the Canucks more than most teams. What say you all?

#2 StevenStamkos

StevenStamkos

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:18 PM

POPULAR

A lockout hurts everyone because we all love hockey.

Follow me on twitter! @RealStamkos91

#3 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,173 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:41 PM

By all appearances there will be no hockey come October. While the Canucks are relatively healthy financially there are many USA teams that are on the edge of failure. PHX, NJD, NYI and CBJ to name a few. It appears the NHL is serious about getting its house in order this time.

Sitting a year impacts the Canucks as their playoff timeline is now not 3 or 4 years from now. Even completing a trade for Luongo will probably nopt happen until a settlement. IMO a lockout hurts the Canucks more than most teams. What say you all?

I doubt your knowledge of other hockey teams.
Posted Image

Hockey_Crazy is a god. But I still got dibs on Yuna.

#4 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,372 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:41 PM

I wish us human beings had enough balls to stand up and not show up to the games.

At the very least every fan base should lock out one game where no one buys tickets.

It will help the Cancuks though if anything. More time to finalize more time to rest.
There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#5 PlayStation

PlayStation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,237 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:56 PM

Yeup, those teams hardly being able to sell 10,000 tickets will suffer a lot. The NHL has wanted to grow the game in the US, but a lock out will really hurt that.
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#6 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:12 PM

I'm thinking it would have similar impacts as 04/05 did.

The Canucks were in a similar position to take another serious run at the cup that year but never got the chance.

Our top players wasted a whole season in their prime and were never able to get back to that elite level in 05/06.

A lockout would be a very bad thing for this team right now. Players like the Sedins and Burrows might not recover from taking a whole year off.

Edited by D-Bo7, 31 August 2012 - 05:12 PM.

#7 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,939 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:16 PM

A good majority of fans would be crying themselves to sleep every night. I'll be one of those fans.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#8 unknown33429

unknown33429

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:16 PM

I'm thinking it would have similar impacts as 04/05 did.

The Canucks were in a similar position to take another serious run at the cup that year but never got the chance.

Our top players wasted a whole season in their prime and were never able to get back to that elite level in 05/06.

A lockout would be a very bad thing for this team right now. Players like the Sedins and Burrows might not recover from taking a whole year off.

Burrows? Sedins? They are in their early 30's..they should be fine. It's a shame we lose a year of them in their prime though.

Are you CRAZY??? Trade Green for ONE first round pick?? He's restricted after this season.... He WILL get an offer sheet for 7-8 million from a number of teams regardless if he plays another minute for us or not. That offer sheet would be worth 4 first round draft choices.

Some fans overrate their players, and then there is this guy.

#9 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:36 PM

Guess I'll go surfing? :rolleyes:

#10 Brad Marchand

Brad Marchand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:42 PM

It's going to hurt a lot of people because I am going to kick every person responsible for the lack of negotiating progress in the groin. Players, owners, Bettman, everyone.

Edited by Brad Marchand, 31 August 2012 - 05:43 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Luc Bourdon & Rick Rypien: Forever Canucks

#11 canucks10271999

canucks10271999

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:52 PM

maple leafs will do great if the season postponed

#12 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:57 PM

But back to topic; The NHL house has troubles...

The NHL as an organization, as well as the union has a vested interest in markets like Phoenix and Columbus, also Tampa, Carolina, Dallas... As an aside, problems in Jersey, on the Island etcetera appear related to fiscal and management issues the league should not be correcting in the CBA. The link is the regional television markets that drive TV deals for the league and that the union has card carrying members in regional markets. Never mind that the league wants to recover some of its losses as current owner in Phoenix. On face value; without tv deals and union members to support, the league has no business in markets which are not self supportive. But they share this burden, so the drum beat is on for revenue sharing.

Just try and tell that to owners in NY, Philly and Toronto...

So will the union brothers take another 20% hit to support their siblings in the desert as being asked? Because the league as a whole made money. I dont think they should; we should be looking at markets that support teams.

I personally believe 2knd teams in Toronto and Chicago seem to be opportunities where teams could be self supporting. Maybe Houston which has a bigger market, corporate oil money and it occasionally freezes. It beats retraction, which is still a better option IMO than supporting dud franchises. I firmly believe poor mans teams in PHX etc are ultimately doomed to mediocrity because they cannot generate their own revenue for players. Even if tv revenues take a short term hit by loosing such regional audiences, if they become competitive moving to markets that support them the product will get better. There is nothing like heated play off battles and rivalries, it would bring the TV back when markets support teams and they can afford players. Us icebound hounds of the great white north cheer to watch the NBA battles that matter on TV. US markets would do the same with compelling hockey. We need competitive markets and rivalries not significant levels of revenue sharing.

Except?...

I like versions of MLB. Teams that exceed the cap match the excess into a luxury tax. Then the big revenue teams (the Ed Snyder's of the world) are making their own decision to pay into revenue sharing. Does anyone believe they won't? The Yankee's spend to their hearts content, 3 or 5 other teams also blow the wad and suddenly there is a very decent contingency to distribute! Fehr comes from baseball, I would be surprised if this does not surface.

And one net result is profitable teams like the Canucks should have more money to spend?

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 31 August 2012 - 06:26 PM.

#13 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:16 PM

Burrows? Sedins? They are in their early 30's..they should be fine. It's a shame we lose a year of them in their prime though.

Naslund and Bertuzzi were in their early 30's after the lockout. They were never the same again.

You can blame it on the Moor incident, but I think that year off really hurt them as a unit. They were just starting to learn what it takes to win in the playoffs and then they missed a whole season.

Henrik and Daniel would be 33 by the time another season rolled around, and Burrows would be 32. That's typically about the age that players start to decline.

Don't kid yourself if you think losing an entire season wouldn't be horrible for this team. It's a lot harder for a player to take a year off the older they get. This would be a devastating blow to our cup window.

Edited by D-Bo7, 31 August 2012 - 06:17 PM.

#14 unknown33429

unknown33429

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:21 PM

Naslund and Bertuzzi were in their early 30's after the lockout. They were never the same again.

You can blame it on the Moor incident, but I think that year off really hurt them as a unit. They were just starting to learn what it takes to win in the playoffs and then they missed a whole season.

Henrik and Daniel would be 33 by the time another season rolled around, and Burrows would be 32. That's typically about the age that players start to decline.

Don't kid yourself if you think losing an entire season wouldn't be horrible for this team. It's a lot harder for a player to take a year off the older they get. This would be a devastating blow to our cup window.

That had nothing to do with the lockout. Bertuzzi and Naslund were never the same again for a whole different reason, something Naslund has said publicly.

Are you CRAZY??? Trade Green for ONE first round pick?? He's restricted after this season.... He WILL get an offer sheet for 7-8 million from a number of teams regardless if he plays another minute for us or not. That offer sheet would be worth 4 first round draft choices.

Some fans overrate their players, and then there is this guy.

#15 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:25 PM

That had nothing to do with the lockout. Bertuzzi and Naslund were never the same again for a whole different reason, something Naslund has said publicly.

Regardless of the reason, there's no discrediting the fact that they missed an entire season that they may have lead us to a cup, and were another year older when they came back.

We'll never know though.

Edited by D-Bo7, 31 August 2012 - 06:26 PM.

#16 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:42 PM

A lockout will hurt the Canucks just as much as it will help.

The Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, Juice...our 2011 SCF core will age a year, and that could be detrimental. But guys like Jensen, Kassian, Lack etc. will get another year to develop outside of the pressures of Vancouver. This could be a very, very good thing in the long run.

Unfortunately, after coming so close to tasting the ultimate success in '11, fans (myself included) would like to see the current heart and soul of this team gun for another Cup. Although, with an extra year of development for Jensen, Kassian, Connauton etc., could mean these guys could jump into the lineup and replace the current "holes" in our line-up, without having to deal or get rid of any of the current team!
CANUCKS TILL I DIE

#17 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:45 PM

Another opportunity missed, another year older. A lot of bored fans...

#18 Hockey Fever

Hockey Fever

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,802 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:47 PM

Both sides make me sick ! Just two rich cry babies fighting in a sandbox over a shovel, pretty pathetic !
I hope this really comes back and bites them all on the @SS ! I know for sure it will effect Gary's grand plan of successful hockey clubs in US markets where hockey doesn't work. Fans there will just walk away!

Posted Image

NHL Wikipedia : Operates Major Ice Hockey League known for predetermining Stanley Cup winners and rampant corrupt officiating

"I would love for (the Canucks) to win the Stanley Cup because that would put to bed all the talk about 1994", he says facetiously".
Nathan Lafayette on hitting the post in game seven of the Stanley Cup.

#19 Garrett-6

Garrett-6

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:51 PM

how would it effect us any differently...every one is going to age no one else will be able to make deals (i dont think anyway....not to sure) it will effect us just like any other team
Posted Image

#20 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:54 PM

It would suck.
Posted Image

#21 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:58 PM

how would it effect us any differently...every one is going to age no one else will be able to make deals (i dont think anyway....not to sure) it will effect us just like any other team

Not the oilers and the avalanche. Our core players get another year closer to declining, ad their young core players get another year closer to their prime.

Therefore making the northwest tougher. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Just means the regular season won't be a cake walk anymore.

#22 Berto91

Berto91

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:00 PM

I'm supposed to be going to Vancouver for the first time in over 8 years at the end of October (last time I went was during a summer).

October means hockey. That means if there's a lockout, I'll be supremely annoyed if I don't get to see a Canucks game. Honestly, if in the first time in nearly a decade I'm in Vancouver and there's no hockey when there should be hockey, it would be so rubbish to not see a game.
100th Post: Friday 2nd July '10 :)

Vintage.Kesler, on 30 September 2010 - 03:30 PM, said:
Lol, tailored for a T-REX.

View PostLiving Rapture, on 31 January 2011 - 10:46 AM, said:

I'm pretty sure CDC just collectively orgasmed at the thought of CoHo getting recalled lol

#23 dorrcoq

dorrcoq

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:17 PM

Regardless of the reason, there's no discrediting the fact that they missed an entire season that they may have lead us to a cup, and were another year older when they came back.

We'll never know though.

Every player they played against was another year older with a year of rust, too. What does that do to your theory?

#24 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:52 PM

Every player they played against was another year older with a year of rust, too. What does that do to your theory?

Other players have nothing to do with how Bertuzzi and Naslund played after the lockout.

Other players weren't all in their 30's when they returned from the lockout either.

#25 ronadian

ronadian

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:23 AM

" I'm supposed to be going to Vancouver for the first time in over 8 years at the end of October (last time I went was during a summer).

October means hockey. That means if there's a lockout, I'll be supremely annoyed if I don't get to see a Canucks game. Honestly, if in the first time in nearly a decade I'm in Vancouver and there's no hockey when there should be hockey, it would be so rubbish to not see a game."

Always the option of the Giants...at least those guys are playing hockey; not fighting over how many millions others are getting meanwhile collecting their own millions

Edited by ronadian, 01 September 2012 - 02:24 AM.

#26 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,087 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:55 AM

World Cup?

BAD MOVE!!!

BAD FING MOVE

HAHAHA ANOTHER INJURED MORON ON OUR TEAM

HE WILL JOIN US IN 2019

Benning will be fired next year. Hope he enjoys screwing around for a few months. I just cant believe this. Another injured BC player. We just got rid of garrison. Seems like the canucks and linden just wanted any BC born player. Doesn't matter if hes good or not. We don't need another Linden to get us to game 7 of the Stanley cup and lose. We need someone to win us a cup.

5 million a year for Vrbata? 6 million for Miller? Kesler for Bonino and 24th instead of 10th pick or one of their top prospects? Garrison for scraps?

ive already lost faith in JB. Ive never EVER had this bad of a feeling about management.

#27 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:57 AM

A lockout adds a year to the Sedins and likely a late pick again for the Canucks. This means a smaller window for "our time" as well as a shallow prospect pool to make up for retiring stars. Luongo trade (if it hasn't happened) would be more difficult to make possible. One positive is guys like Jensen and Kassian get a year to play against men and develop properly.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#28 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,374 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:44 AM

A lockout hurts everyone because we all love hockey.

This

And if its till December theres a positive. Kes might be back to start

2qn360i.jpg

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#29 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,939 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 05:08 AM

I'm not trying to draw similarities here, but look what the Heat did after the NBA season was shortened 60 days. Just sayin'.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#30 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,058 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:13 AM

But back to topic; The NHL house has troubles...

The NHL as an organization, as well as the union has a vested interest in markets like Phoenix and Columbus, also Tampa, Carolina, Dallas... As an aside, problems in Jersey, on the Island etcetera appear related to fiscal and management issues the league should not be correcting in the CBA. The link is the regional television markets that drive TV deals for the league and that the union has card carrying members in regional markets. Never mind that the league wants to recover some of its losses as current owner in Phoenix. On face value; without tv deals and union members to support, the league has no business in markets which are not self supportive. But they share this burden, so the drum beat is on for revenue sharing.

Just try and tell that to owners in NY, Philly and Toronto...

So will the union brothers take another 20% hit to support their siblings in the desert as being asked? Because the league as a whole made money. I dont think they should; we should be looking at markets that support teams.

I personally believe 2knd teams in Toronto and Chicago seem to be opportunities where teams could be self supporting. Maybe Houston which has a bigger market, corporate oil money and it occasionally freezes. It beats retraction, which is still a better option IMO than supporting dud franchises. I firmly believe poor mans teams in PHX etc are ultimately doomed to mediocrity because they cannot generate their own revenue for players. Even if tv revenues take a short term hit by loosing such regional audiences, if they become competitive moving to markets that support them the product will get better. There is nothing like heated play off battles and rivalries, it would bring the TV back when markets support teams and they can afford players. Us icebound hounds of the great white north cheer to watch the NBA battles that matter on TV. US markets would do the same with compelling hockey. We need competitive markets and rivalries not significant levels of revenue sharing.

Except?...

I like versions of MLB. Teams that exceed the cap match the excess into a luxury tax. Then the big revenue teams (the Ed Snyder's of the world) are making their own decision to pay into revenue sharing. Does anyone believe they won't? The Yankee's spend to their hearts content, 3 or 5 other teams also blow the wad and suddenly there is a very decent contingency to distribute! Fehr comes from baseball, I would be surprised if this does not surface.

And one net result is profitable teams like the Canucks should have more money to spend?

Some very good points!

AT the end of the day the owners hold the best cards in this game. The desperation of a good number of them who lose money should carry the day. The MLB practice does have potential. Unfortunately many owners might simply become coupon clippers. I have thought that the current CBA gave more teams a better chance at actually building a roster and taking a real shot at the CUP. My impression of MLB is as you suggested simply a facade where there is only serious challenges by 7 or 8 teams. Not a fan so I don't really know how accurate that is.

As many have already suggested a lockout does not impact all players equally. Those over 30 risk not being able to regain their skills to the same level and the younger players who can gain AHL time are even stronger compitetion when play resumes. These +30 year olds are also the biggest financial beneificiaries as well and the most influential amongst the 'rank & file'. I have a hard time saying that when they are making $5 to $8 mil a year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.