The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Impact of a lockout on the Canucks?

Boudrias

By all appearances there will be no hockey come October. While the Canucks are relatively healthy financially there are many USA teams that are on the edge of failure. PHX, NJD, NYI and CBJ to name a few. It appears the NHL is serious about getting its house in order this time.

Sitting a year impacts the Canucks as their playoff timeline is now not 3 or 4 years from now. Even completing a trade for Luongo will probably nopt happen until a settlement. IMO a lockout hurts the Canucks more than most teams. What say you all?

By all appearances there will be no hockey come October. While the Canucks are relatively healthy financially there are many USA teams that are on the edge of failure. PHX, NJD, NYI and CBJ to name a few. It appears the NHL is serious about getting its house in order this time.

Sitting a year impacts the Canucks as their playoff timeline is now not 3 or 4 years from now. Even completing a trade for Luongo will probably nopt happen until a settlement. IMO a lockout hurts the Canucks more than most teams. What say you all?

I wish us human beings had enough balls to stand up and not show up to the games.

At the very least every fan base should lock out one game where no one buys tickets.

It will help the Cancuks though if anything. More time to finalize more time to rest.

I'm thinking it would have similar impacts as 04/05 did.

The Canucks were in a similar position to take another serious run at the cup that year but never got the chance.

Our top players wasted a whole season in their prime and were never able to get back to that elite level in 05/06.

A lockout would be a very bad thing for this team right now. Players like the Sedins and Burrows might not recover from taking a whole year off.

I'm thinking it would have similar impacts as 04/05 did.

The Canucks were in a similar position to take another serious run at the cup that year but never got the chance.

Our top players wasted a whole season in their prime and were never able to get back to that elite level in 05/06.

A lockout would be a very bad thing for this team right now. Players like the Sedins and Burrows might not recover from taking a whole year off.

But back to topic; The NHL house has troubles...

The NHL as an organization, as well as the union has a vested interest in markets like Phoenix and Columbus, also Tampa, Carolina, Dallas... As an aside, problems in Jersey, on the Island etcetera appear related to fiscal and management issues the league should not be correcting in the CBA. The link is the regional television markets that drive TV deals for the league and that the union has card carrying members in regional markets. Never mind that the league wants to recover some of its losses as current owner in Phoenix. On face value; without tv deals and union members to support, the league has no business in markets which are not self supportive. But they share this burden, so the drum beat is on for revenue sharing.

Just try and tell that to owners in NY, Philly and Toronto...

So will the union brothers take another 20% hit to support their siblings in the desert as being asked? Because the league as a whole made money. I dont think they should; we should be looking at markets that support teams.

I personally believe 2knd teams in Toronto and Chicago seem to be opportunities where teams could be self supporting. Maybe Houston which has a bigger market, corporate oil money and it occasionally freezes. It beats retraction, which is still a better option IMO than supporting dud franchises. I firmly believe poor mans teams in PHX etc are ultimately doomed to mediocrity because they cannot generate their own revenue for players. Even if tv revenues take a short term hit by loosing such regional audiences, if they become competitive moving to markets that support them the product will get better. There is nothing like heated play off battles and rivalries, it would bring the TV back when markets support teams and they can afford players. Us icebound hounds of the great white north cheer to watch the NBA battles that matter on TV. US markets would do the same with compelling hockey. We need competitive markets and rivalries not significant levels of revenue sharing.

Except?...

I like versions of MLB. Teams that exceed the cap match the excess into a luxury tax. Then the big revenue teams (the Ed Snyder's of the world) are making their own decision to pay into revenue sharing. Does anyone believe they won't? The Yankee's spend to their hearts content, 3 or 5 other teams also blow the wad and suddenly there is a very decent contingency to distribute! Fehr comes from baseball, I would be surprised if this does not surface.

And one net result is profitable teams like the Canucks should have more money to spend?

Naslund and Bertuzzi were in their early 30's after the lockout. They were never the same again.

You can blame it on the Moor incident, but I think that year off really hurt them as a unit. They were just starting to learn what it takes to win in the playoffs and then they missed a whole season.

Henrik and Daniel would be 33 by the time another season rolled around, and Burrows would be 32. That's typically about the age that players start to decline.

Don't kid yourself if you think losing an entire season wouldn't be horrible for this team. It's a lot harder for a player to take a year off the older they get. This would be a devastating blow to our cup window.

A lockout will hurt the Canucks just as much as it will help.

The Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, Juice...our 2011 SCF core will age a year, and that could be detrimental. But guys like Jensen, Kassian, Lack etc. will get another year to develop outside of the pressures of Vancouver. This could be a very, very good thing in the long run.

Unfortunately, after coming so close to tasting the ultimate success in '11, fans (myself included) would like to see the current heart and soul of this team gun for another Cup. Although, with an extra year of development for Jensen, Kassian, Connauton etc., could mean these guys could jump into the lineup and replace the current "holes" in our line-up, without having to deal or get rid of any of the current team!

Both sides make me sick ! Just two rich cry babies fighting in a sandbox over a shovel, pretty pathetic !

I hope this really comes back and bites them all on the @SS ! I know for sure it will effect Gary's grand plan of successful hockey clubs in US markets where hockey doesn't work. Fans there will just walk away!

Archived