Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Going Standby for my Class 7

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 Burr_ows

Burr_ows

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:54 AM

So I went in to do my N test in surrey, and failed because I went ``too slow` (5kms under speed limit?) and didnt shoulder check enough apparently. The instructor was Dawson if anyone's ever had her, she was strict about every little thing.

Anyways if you go on standby after 2 weeks, how often do you get in the same day to redo your test? Because the next appointment isn't until november, so was just wondering.

Any advice? and apparently you need to pull the emergency brake every time you park/pull over too, never heard of that

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Rhinogator

Rhinogator

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:58 AM

you only have to miss 3 shoulder checks to fail. Obviously if you go too slow you're a burden in traffic. Emergency brake has to be pulled, yes, you sometimes also have to turn the steering wheel to the right or left based on if you parked up or downhill.

Edited by Crescent, 01 September 2012 - 10:59 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,793 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:14 AM

So I went in to do my N test in surrey, and failed because I went ``too slow` (5kms under speed limit?) and didnt shoulder check enough apparently. The instructor was Dawson if anyone's ever had her, she was strict about every little thing.

Anyways if you go on standby after 2 weeks, how often do you get in the same day to redo your test? Because the next appointment isn't until november, so was just wondering.

Any advice? and apparently you need to pull the emergency brake every time you park/pull over too, never heard of that

You need to pull the emergency brake every time you park and pull over. No exceptions. Did you have lessons? Someone didn't prepare you very well at all.

Shoulder checks are a pain in the ass, but very necessary. When you stop at an intersection to turn right, observe the light/sign that is in front of you. If it's a stop sign/red light, make sure you stop behind the line. Then slowly inch up and position your car to lean towards the direction you're turning when clear.

Look around you (except looking straight back). Do rear view mirror check, side view mirror check and shoulder check (just take a peek at your rear window. Then before you make another turn, shoulder check again. And if clear, then GO. Don't "challenge" pedestrians. If you feel it's not safe for you to go, definitely don't do it. You will not lose points for it.

You can't re-do the same test in the same day. You'll have to wait till November to re-do it and you only have one shot till the next appointment day.

Failing the first time isn't a big deal. You'll know what to expect for the second one.

If you have questions, you can ask it here.

Edited by Dazzle, 01 September 2012 - 11:17 AM.

Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

#4 Burr_ows

Burr_ows

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:17 AM

Yeah didn't take lessons, the one thing that screwed me up. Well I can retake it after 2 weeks, by going in and staying standby hoping someone cancels their appointment the day I go. Just wondering if anyone here has gone on standby and how long they had to wait. Thanks for the advice though, it'll help a lot.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 PowerIce

PowerIce

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,413 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:19 AM

Go here http://www.icbc.com/...nsing/book-test

Book it online. Refresh every few hours & dates will appear from cancellations

2013 CDC Poker, it's coming soon to a forum near you!

Posted Image

#6 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,793 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:28 AM

Yeah didn't take lessons, the one thing that screwed me up. Well I can retake it after 2 weeks, by going in and staying standby hoping someone cancels their appointment the day I go. Just wondering if anyone here has gone on standby and how long they had to wait. Thanks for the advice though, it'll help a lot.

2 weeks minimum (which is a total pain) for the next appointment. It can't be sooner than that. ICBC's booking system is slow to access and it doesn't help when you have to input that CAPTCHA code each time. Very slow.

Other things... 5 km below speed limit is appropriate when there's a car in front of you. Slow down accordingly so you don't hit the car! Otherwise, go 50 km an hour unless it is really really bad weather. Rain is not really bad weather if there's no car in front of you.

Inside small streets (residential areas), it is much better for you to go slower than to go faster. 40 km in a residential area is sufficient. 40 km is not wrong.

Often the instructor will tell you to pull over here and ask you what the hazards when you are driving. Pedestrians, other cars where people fail to shoulder check when opening the door, and driveways.

OBSERVE the signs and remember the area that you're in. If you're in a playground zone and are pulled over there, make a mental note that you're there so that when you pull out, you don't go past 30 km/an hour. Also.. if there's a hazard perception check, mention about children (showing instructor that you're aware of the zone) and you should be golden.

Also sometimes the area may have slopes. If you're parking uphill WITH A CURB, turn your wheel all the way to the left, park your car and emergency brake it. If you're parking downhill WITH A CURB, turn your wheel all the way to the right. Same thing as above.

Also, make sure to do a complete 360 check when backing up (it includes looking at the front again before looking back when reversing)

Edited by Dazzle, 01 September 2012 - 11:37 AM.

Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

#7 Burr_ows

Burr_ows

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:28 AM

I've booked it, earleist date was November 1st but that's 2 months away, I regularly check as well. I can take my test again in 2 weeks though and if I can't get a booking I'm planning to just walk in and hope for a cancellation that day, which would be September 14th.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 Danthecanucksfan

Danthecanucksfan

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:33 AM

Lol, I'm always 10 above the limit, I have a feelin that's worse than being below the limit.

#9 Resiliency

Resiliency

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:35 AM

Passed my class seven a few days ago, here are some tips:
  • 360 degree check in 'R'
  • shoulder check whenever car is moving left or right
  • change lanes gradually and make sure it is not done at an intersection (waiting 5 clicks of your turn signal is preferable)
  • keep both hands on the wheel at all times
  • make sure emergency brake is applied/released when parking/pulling into the road
  • let the pedestrians go first for turns, they have the right of way
  • try and drive to the speed limit
  • parking in hills: turn wheels all the way to the right (exception = uphill with curb - turn wheels to the left)
  • do not stop on rail-roads or fire truck lanes
  • brake downhill if necessary to keep at posted speed lmit
  • all small streets are 50 km/hr unless specified
  • scan all intersections even if you have the right of way
  • keep safe margins between cars in front and behind
  • watch where you reverse, occasionally looking forward to view the rear mirror
  • just because your examiner tells you to do a certain manoeuvre doesn't mean you have to do it instantly; wait until it is safe
  • look 12 seconds ahead
  • make sure you know how to use the lights, wind shield wiper, and know all the hand signals
  • when parking, it is useful to look at side mirrors for proper alignment
  • full stop at stop signs; wait 2 seconds or until it is safe to slowly start creeping forward
  • possible hazards: surprises, poor road conditions, vision blockages, insufficient car spaces
  • resignal if signal goes off
  • try to apply gas and brake as smoothly as possible
  • relax and keep thinking positively; nobody can drive perfectly.
Edit: beware of school zones and playgrounds - they are usually 30km/hr during the school year. also, drive slower when there is heavy traffic or when you're in a tight road.

Edited by Resiliency, 01 September 2012 - 11:38 AM.

Posted Image

#10 Denguin

Denguin

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:56 AM

It's a lot of waiting around, but if you're on stand-by, you'll have a good shot at getting a road test. You'd be surprised how many people cancel their appointments...

As for tips, seems like the people in this thread have already covered most things... if not everything.

#11 Lillooet_Hillbilly

Lillooet_Hillbilly

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:00 PM

all instructors like to rattle you over nothing just to see how you react. i got rattled by a first aid instructor once than i proceeded to yell at my patient. i got nailed for 15% :(

#12 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,272 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:27 PM

I went standby to Maple Ridge 2 weeks after I failed the 1st time.
Literally walked in, told them I was on standby, and they took me out for the test.

Jagermeister.jpg

#13 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,178 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:19 PM

I went standby to Maple Ridge 2 weeks after I failed the 1st time.
Literally walked in, told them I was on standby, and they took me out for the test.

:lol: You failed.
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#14 Burr_ows

Burr_ows

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:55 PM

thanks for all the advice you guys it helps, hopefully I'll pass come 2nd time around

Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,006 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:58 PM

When I took t I was told you were allowed 5 under or 5 over, could be different depending on the tester though.

#16 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,351 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:40 PM

It all depends on how lucky you get with cancellations. The class 7 is a lot easier to get in for on standby than the class 5.

I think u should give it a shot, but go super early. Be there when the office opens. That's how I got my "N". I was the first person there and I waited about an hour before someone agreed to take me.

They are super 0 tolerance for speeding. You have to stick to the limit give/take about 3km. It's crazy because no one follows the limit like that in real life but on the test you have to. And mention to them that you've already taken it once. They take that into consideration because they know you've learned from the last time so they're more inclined to give you a pass the second time around.

Good luck :)
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#17 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:56 PM

Shoulder checking is an issue with new drivers?

Nothing wrong with knowing the environment around you before you pull out etc.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#18 Hobbes!!!

Hobbes!!!

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,001 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:00 AM

I took a one hour lesson with valley driving school before I went because I was sure I'd picked up lots of bad habits and forgotten some stuff (like emerg brake when parking). Was the best thini couldve done.

Ps-i hattttteeee people who drive too slow in normal weather. My grandma does that. Stop it.

#19 Burr_ows

Burr_ows

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:52 PM

Yeah I'm taking a lesson for sure, and I only went slow because it was the test didn't know they gave points for that! Thanks a lot you guys I appreciate it, what about left turns at intersections, she left a note saying gaps? Which i wasn't too sure about

Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,807 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:59 PM

Leave more space when you stop (you should be able to see the tires).

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#21 Burr_ows

Burr_ows

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:09 PM

It was for left turns at intersections though, not while stopped behind another car

Posted Image

Posted Image

#22 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,807 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:23 PM

You have to wait behind the stop line until the car infront of you turns.

Dumb ICBC rule...

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#23 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:19 PM

You'll never pass without lessons. So much sh*t to learn for no reason.
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.