The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Going Standby for my Class 7

Burr_ows

So I went in to do my N test in surrey, and failed because I went ``too slow` (5kms under speed limit?) and didnt shoulder check enough apparently. The instructor was Dawson if anyone's ever had her, she was strict about every little thing.

Anyways if you go on standby after 2 weeks, how often do you get in the same day to redo your test? Because the next appointment isn't until november, so was just wondering.

Any advice? and apparently you need to pull the emergency brake every time you park/pull over too, never heard of that

So I went in to do my N test in surrey, and failed because I went ``too slow` (5kms under speed limit?) and didnt shoulder check enough apparently. The instructor was Dawson if anyone's ever had her, she was strict about every little thing.

Anyways if you go on standby after 2 weeks, how often do you get in the same day to redo your test? Because the next appointment isn't until november, so was just wondering.

Any advice? and apparently you need to pull the emergency brake every time you park/pull over too, never heard of that

Yeah didn't take lessons, the one thing that screwed me up. Well I can retake it after 2 weeks, by going in and staying standby hoping someone cancels their appointment the day I go. Just wondering if anyone here has gone on standby and how long they had to wait. Thanks for the advice though, it'll help a lot.

Yeah didn't take lessons, the one thing that screwed me up. Well I can retake it after 2 weeks, by going in and staying standby hoping someone cancels their appointment the day I go. Just wondering if anyone here has gone on standby and how long they had to wait. Thanks for the advice though, it'll help a lot.

I've booked it, earleist date was November 1st but that's 2 months away, I regularly check as well. I can take my test again in 2 weeks though and if I can't get a booking I'm planning to just walk in and hope for a cancellation that day, which would be September 14th.

Passed my class seven a few days ago, here are some tips:

• 360 degree check in 'R'

• shoulder check whenever car is moving left or right

• change lanes gradually and make sure it is not done at an intersection (waiting 5 clicks of your turn signal is preferable)

• keep both hands on the wheel at all times

• make sure emergency brake is applied/released when parking/pulling into the road

• let the pedestrians go first for turns, they have the right of way

• try and drive to the speed limit

• parking in hills: turn wheels all the way to the right (exception = uphill with curb - turn wheels to the left)

• do not stop on rail-roads or fire truck lanes

• brake downhill if necessary to keep at posted speed lmit

• all small streets are 50 km/hr unless specified

• scan all intersections even if you have the right of way

• keep safe margins between cars in front and behind

• watch where you reverse, occasionally looking forward to view the rear mirror

• just because your examiner tells you to do a certain manoeuvre doesn't mean you have to do it instantly; wait until it is safe

• look 12 seconds ahead

• make sure you know how to use the lights, wind shield wiper, and know all the hand signals

• when parking, it is useful to look at side mirrors for proper alignment

• full stop at stop signs; wait 2 seconds or until it is safe to slowly start creeping forward

• possible hazards: surprises, poor road conditions, vision blockages, insufficient car spaces

• resignal if signal goes off

• try to apply gas and brake as smoothly as possible

• relax and keep thinking positively; nobody can drive perfectly.

Edit: beware of school zones and playgrounds - they are usually 30km/hr during the school year. also, drive slower when there is heavy traffic or when you're in a tight road.

It's a lot of waiting around, but if you're on stand-by, you'll have a good shot at getting a road test. You'd be surprised how many people cancel their appointments...

As for tips, seems like the people in this thread have already covered most things... if not everything.

It all depends on how lucky you get with cancellations. The class 7 is a lot easier to get in for on standby than the class 5.

I think u should give it a shot, but go super early. Be there when the office opens. That's how I got my "N". I was the first person there and I waited about an hour before someone agreed to take me.

They are super 0 tolerance for speeding. You have to stick to the limit give/take about 3km. It's crazy because no one follows the limit like that in real life but on the test you have to. And mention to them that you've already taken it once. They take that into consideration because they know you've learned from the last time so they're more inclined to give you a pass the second time around.

Good luck :)

I took a one hour lesson with valley driving school before I went because I was sure I'd picked up lots of bad habits and forgotten some stuff (like emerg brake when parking). Was the best thini couldve done.

Ps-i hattttteeee people who drive too slow in normal weather. My grandma does that. Stop it.

Yeah I'm taking a lesson for sure, and I only went slow because it was the test didn't know they gave points for that! Thanks a lot you guys I appreciate it, what about left turns at intersections, she left a note saying gaps? Which i wasn't too sure about

Archived