Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

(Discussion) Best player of all time?

Discussion

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

Poll: Who is the best player of all time? (71 member(s) have cast votes)

Who is the best player of all time?

1. Bobby Orr (15 votes [21.13%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.13%

2. Wayne Gretzky (48 votes [67.61%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 67.61%

3. Mario Lemieux (8 votes [11.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.27%

4. Nicklas Lidstrom (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Mark Messier (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Sidney Crosby (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Alex Burrows 14

Alex Burrows 14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:44 PM

In your opinion who is the best player in the nhl ever?

My vote is bobby orr

unreal talent too bad he was injured so early, he changed the game of hockey.

Edited by Alex Burrows 14, 03 September 2012 - 11:04 AM.

Posted Image

#2 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70,029 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:47 PM

Posted Image

307mg00.jpg

#3 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:50 PM

Wayne Gretzky hands down
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#4 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:58 PM

Gretzky

(:lol: at putting Malkin on the list)
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#5 Kuolema

Kuolema

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:59 PM

Bobby Orr hands down.

#6 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:02 PM

In your opinion who is the best player in the nhl ever?

My vote is bobby orr

unreal talent too bad he was injured so early, had the potential to have more points then gretzky overall.

No.

I voted Orr, too, for the way he changed how defencemen could play the game and, of course, for his unparalleled talents. A brilliant career snuffed out far too early. If he played in this era, his knees would have lasted far longer because of medical advances.

:towel: :canucks:

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

#7 Doanuts

Doanuts

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:31 PM

in before aaron rome.

#8 AFrame14

AFrame14

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:32 PM

Gretzky is but I voted Lemieux. If he was healthy he would of been the best.. Give Crosby 15 more years and then hell prolly be the best ever
NUCKS FOR THE CUP

#9 MashedBananas

MashedBananas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,671 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:32 PM

Malkin is on that list....why?
Posted Image

Sig Credit goes to Henrik Sedin

#10 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:37 PM

Super Mario.
Posted Image

#11 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,256 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:40 PM

The guy who Quinn tried to sign at midnight

;)

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#12 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:40 PM

Malkin has won two scoring titles = OMFG BEST PLAYER EVORZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!

#13 TACIC

TACIC

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:42 PM

Paul Bissonette

Edited by theres_a_can_in_canucks, 01 September 2012 - 02:42 PM.

Posted Image
Credit to JimLahey for this awesome sig

TACIC

Yes i am a Leafs fan too, DEAL WITH IT!!

#14 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:44 PM

What the hell is Malkin doing over guys like Richard, Beliveau, Shore, Bourque, Harvey, etc.? I get Crosby simply because of his phenomenal potential, but Malkin isn't quite on the same level as Sid and there are legends being snubbed here.

Anyhoo, I always say the greatest of all-time is Gretzky, the most gifted or talented or what have you is Lemieux, and Bobby Orr was the most dominant.

The term 'best' is difficult to define for me, but I'll say this: if I could pick any player in history for a team I was building, my first choice would be Bobby Orr.

Edited by Witchcraft and Sedinery, 01 September 2012 - 02:48 PM.

Posted Image

#15 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:31 PM

CDC has already voted on this. Here's a list of the top 18 and the poll for #19. Check it.
http://forum.canucks...of-all-time-19/

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#16 Canuckian93

Canuckian93

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:34 PM

In before Boris Vlabik who would pass on him unreal talent.

Edited by Canuckian93, 01 September 2012 - 04:34 PM.

[IMG]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a311/travhave/crosby.jpg/[IMG]

#17 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,191 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:36 PM

In before Boris Vlabik who would pass on him unreal talent.

He may be the best over sized punching bag of all time.
Posted Image

#18 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,513 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:45 AM

Orr, a dominant force at BOTH ends of the ice, wins the scoring title as a defense-man, won Norris, Art Ross, Hart, and Conn Smythe IN THE SAME SEASON. Revolutionized the game, before him defensemen rarely if ever carried the puck or joined the rush. EIGHT CONSECUTIVE Norrris Trophies.
  • First and only defenceman to score nine hat tricks
  • First defenceman to score 30 goals (1969–70) and 40 goals in a season (1974–75) in a season.
  • First player to record 100 assists in a season (1970–71)
  • Only defenceman to lead the league in scoring (1969–70, 1974–75)
  • Only player ever to win the Norris Trophy, Art Ross Trophy, Hart Trophy, and Conn Smythe Trophy in one season (1969–70)
  • Second all-time in career plus-minus rating (+597) (retired as the overall leader; never finished a full season less than +30 since +/- became a statistic beginning with the 1968–69 season)
  • Fifth in league history in career point-per-game average, all-time, (1.393) (highest among defencemen)
  • Fifty-ninth overall in league history in career assists and 90th in career points

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.
Blaise Pascal

#19 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,513 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:47 AM

What the hell is Malkin doing over guys like Richard, Beliveau, Shore, Bourque, Harvey, etc.? I get Crosby simply because of his phenomenal potential, but Malkin isn't quite on the same level as Sid and there are legends being snubbed here.

Anyhoo, I always say the greatest of all-time is Gretzky, the most gifted or talented or what have you is Lemieux, and Bobby Orr was the most dominant.

The term 'best' is difficult to define for me, but I'll say this: if I could pick any player in history for a team I was building, my first choice would be Bobby Orr.

Gretzky has the best vision, Lemieux was the most highly skilled, but Orr was the best all around player, Gretzky and Lemieux were the two best offensive players but weren't too noticeable in their own end.
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.
Blaise Pascal

#20 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,015 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:53 AM

1. Orr's career was cut short, thus making his career overrated. Ie. We didn't witness his decline. Cut Gretzky's career in half and his status as best ever would be quite undebatable.

2. Gretzky won more cups than Orr. If Orr was as dominant over the rest of the league, then he should've won more cups. It's not like he had no help at all.

3. Gretzky's dominance over the rest of the league, incl. his own teammates, was unmatched. Like, twice as good at points. Was Orr as dominant? No.

4. Gretzky's longer career and ownership of the recordbook is a huge plus. He also popularized hockey in previously untapped markets. Orr just piled it on in the established east coast.

5. Orr might not even the best defenseman. Yes, he owns +/-, but that's a worthless stat. Some consider Doug Harvey the best ever. Lidstrom is there too. Meanwhile, The Great One is undeniably the best ever. Lemieux perhaps being the most-talented, but not best. Howe. Richard. Also not best ever.

Forget about 'it was easy to score in the 80's', too, because it was also easy to score in the 70's. Gretzky just took it to another level. He changed the game so much that goalies had to balloon their equipment, coaches had to devise team-wide defensive strategies to contain one player, and the league as it stands today would be completely different with no Gretzky. Would've gotten by with no Orr. Rushing defenseman? Harvey did that well before Orr.
Posted Image

#21 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,015 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:55 AM

Long-term, Sid and Malkin won't be on these type of polls. Neither will Lidstrom.
Posted Image

#22 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,577 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:00 AM

Should Malkin be on the list? No

Crosby- right now, maybe. Future, yes

Lidstrom- yes, for sure

I vote gretzky

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCFL - Montreal Canadiens GM
CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#23 Lucic17

Lucic17

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:47 AM

Mike Bossy

BEST pure goal scorer of all time. NO one else, not even Gretzky had as many consecutive 50+ goal seasons as Bossy

Why is Crosby on the list??? Crosby & Malkin SHOULD NOT be there.

#24 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,015 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:01 AM

Bossy was a great sniper, for sure. But best ever player? Nope. Gretzky had more assists in one season than Bossy had points in his best season.

It was those five 200+/- point seasons in the Great One heyday that really will never be touched.

In my view, ownership of the record book = Best ever. Why not?
Posted Image

#25 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,015 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:02 AM

Bossy is more comparable to Bobby and Brett Hull, Selanne and Lafleur.
Posted Image

#26 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,513 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:04 AM

1. Orr's career was cut short, thus making his career overrated. Ie. We didn't witness his decline. Cut Gretzky's career in half and his status as best ever would be quite undebatable.

You aren't old enough to have witness Orr at all, by the end his knees were so bad he cold barley walk and was stil the best player on the ice

2. Gretzky won more cups than Orr. If Orr was as dominant over the rest of the league, then he should've won more cups. It's not like he had no help at all.

Henri Richard won 11 Cups, I guess he was 3 times as good as Gretzky

3. Gretzky's dominance over the rest of the league, incl. his own teammates, was unmatched. Like, twice as good at points. Was Orr as dominant? No.

Yes he was as dominant, there is more to the game than just points, Orr was also a physical presence, something Gretzky could never be.

4. Gretzky's longer career and ownership of the recordbook is a huge plus. He also popularized hockey in previously untapped markets. Orr just piled it on in the established east coast.

Orr was the only player who could sell out the Cow Palace in Oakland. Oakland and LA were the only teams in the US wwst of the Mississippi in his day.

5. Orr might not even the best defenseman. Yes, he owns +/-, but that's a worthless stat. Some consider Doug Harvey the best ever. Lidstrom is there too. Meanwhile, The Great One is undeniably the best ever. Lemieux perhaps being the most-talented, but not best. Howe. Richard. Also not best ever.

Very deniable, best scorer and best player are two different things, while Gretzky was lighting up the scoreboard (and having his own lit up just as often), most GM's would have taken Bryan Trottier in his prime over Gretzky.

Forget about 'it was easy to score in the 80's', too, because it was also easy to score in the 70's. Gretzky just took it to another level. He changed the game so much that goalies had to balloon their equipment, coaches had to devise team-wide defensive strategies to contain one player, and the league as it stands today would be completely different with no Gretzky. Would've gotten by with no Orr. Rushing defenseman? Harvey did that well before Orr.

The ballooning equipment has nothing to do with Gretzky, that was caused by Brett Hull and the introduction of the synthetic Sticks.
Blaise Pascal

#27 TheDave

TheDave

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:26 AM

You aren't old enough to have witness Orr at all, by the end his knees were so bad he cold barley walk and was stil the best player on the ice

Henri Richard won 11 Cups, I guess he was 3 times as good as Gretzky

Yes he was as dominant, there is more to the game than just points, Orr was also a physical presence, something Gretzky could never be.

Orr was the only player who could sell out the Cow Palace in Oakland. Oakland and LA were the only teams in the US wwst of the Mississippi in his day.

Very deniable, best scorer and best player are two different things, while Gretzky was lighting up the scoreboard (and having his own lit up just as often), most GM's would have taken Bryan Trottier in his prime over Gretzky.

The ballooning equipment has nothing to do with Gretzky, that was caused by Brett Hull and the introduction of the synthetic Sticks.

Thank you so much for explaing this.
You saved fingers some trouble.

Bobby Orr simply was the greatest player to dawn a pair of skates.

"If he doesn't stop that one, it's goin' in!"

- Bob Cole

#28 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:21 PM

It was those five 200+/- point seasons in the Great One heyday that really will never be touched.

In my view, ownership of the record book = Best ever. Why not?

There were only 4 200+ point seasons, TOM.

Gretzky was the best offensive player ever to play the game. No argument there. Best player overall? Not even close.

Gretzky's defending was always questioned as a player throughout his career. Over his final 9 seasons, he was a -86. I know you think that +/- is a worthless stat, but, being only +514 in 20 seasons while scoring 2857 points is not stellar defensive hockey.

Bobby Orr as a defenceman was +597 over only 657 games. 1.4 PPG as a defender put him 5th all-time. He hit. He fought. He played amazing offence and amazing defence (8 straight Norris Trophies).

Lastly, HOF at 31. Youngest ever.

End debate.

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

#29 The Wizard of AZ

The Wizard of AZ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:41 PM

There were only 4 200+ point seasons, TOM.

Gretzky was the best offensive player ever to play the game. No argument there. Best player overall? Not even close.

Gretzky's defending was always questioned as a player throughout his career. Over his final 9 seasons, he was a -86. I know you think that +/- is a worthless stat, but, being only +514 in 20 seasons while scoring 2857 points is not stellar defensive hockey.

Bobby Orr as a defenceman was +597 over only 657 games. 1.4 PPG as a defender put him 5th all-time. He hit. He fought. He played amazing offence and amazing defence (8 straight Norris Trophies).

Lastly, HOF at 31. Youngest ever.

End debate.

Doesn't he hold the record for most Short Handed Goals? I know that isn't difinitive proof, but surely it stands for something.
Also his defensive play revolved around him keeping the puck away from his own zone and in the offensive zone.

I'm pretty sure if Gretzky had his career cut short, he'd be in the same boat as Orr as "youngest ever".

Posted Image

#30 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,256 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:44 PM

Orr, a dominant force at BOTH ends of the ice, wins the scoring title as a defense-man, won Norris, Art Ross, Hart, and Conn Smythe IN THE SAME SEASON. Revolutionized the game, before him defensemen rarely if ever carried the puck or joined the rush. EIGHT CONSECUTIVE Norrris Trophies.

• First and only defenceman to score nine hat tricks
  • First defenceman to score 30 goals (1969–70) and 40 goals in a season (1974–75) in a season.
  • First player to record 100 assists in a season (1970–71)
  • Only defenceman to lead the league in scoring (1969–70, 1974–75)
  • Only player ever to win the Norris Trophy, Art Ross Trophy, Hart Trophy, and Conn Smythe Trophy in one season (1969–70)
  • Second all-time in career plus-minus rating (+597) (retired as the overall leader; never finished a full season less than +30 since +/- became a statistic beginning with the 1968–69 season)
  • Fifth in league history in career point-per-game average, all-time, (1.393) (highest among defencemen)
  • Fifty-ninth overall in league history in career assists and 90th in career points

Not to mention a Stanley Cup winning goal in overtime. Its a joke how Orr isn't on the NHL 13 Legends list.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Discussion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.