The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What rule changes would you like to have?

TACIC

Here's one:

If the Goalie is outside of his crease "blue paint", then he cannot stop play, he has to play the puck. Also, if there is a pass back to him from one of his players (like in soccer) he can't stop play.

If a regular player cannot close his hand on the puck in the crease, then why can a goalie come way outside his crease and get a stoppage.

Play it or get a delay of game.

I would like to have penatlies being reviewed. It has be to fast though. For example for cases were players dive and draw the call. BUt then the refs can do another review in slow motion type of thing. If in fact it looks like the player was cleary diving, automatic 4 minute. Example I mean is Dustin Brown. He draws a penalty. Or the punks who pretended they got high sticked in the face, Referee can quickly review it, if it looks like the face didn't get hit by the stick, but they still "snapped" their head back automatic 4.

I would suggest these.

1) allow icing from outside the blue line. instead of when currently over center.

2) icing from on the blue line or behind it is a 2 min penalty for delay of game (havent decided if auto icing or not to prevent injury )

3) Allow the goalies to play the puck , but also allow them to get clobbered if they do outside their crease. No more trapezoid.

4) Every time there is a stoppage the team that causes it cannot change. Deflections and goalposts do not count. If there is shared blame then both can change.

5) Actually enforce the face off penalty

6) Allow the players to bat the puck to each other as long as the puck is on the ice.

7) make directing the puck in the net illegal. No more direct kicking motion nonsense. It has to be by deflection or accident or doesnt count period. Any doubt means no goal. The game is supposed to be scoring goals with a hockey stick.

8) Get rid of the center line. Only need center ice dot.

9) Teams penalized can choose to give the offended team a penalty shot or 2 min penalty. In case of a 4 min penalty, you can give the other team a combo

2 min 5 on 3

4 min 5 on 4 or 4 on 3 if already 4 on 4

1 penalty shot and a 2 min penalty

2 penalty shots

5 min majors have to be served.

I've thought for years that there should be no offsides or icing in 4-on-4 overtime. This would open tonnes of new scoring opportunities and offensive set-plays. Far fewer games would make it to a shoot-out. Creativity would blossom. Wins would feel more satisfying. Player stats would increase somewhat. GWGs would become a more meaningful stat.

I think this was the rule way back in the day, but how about players serving the full two minutes of a penalty, even if a goal is scored? Surely, that would boost scoring. Imagine the long skate back to the bench after the other team scores 3 PP goals in 2 minutes. ::D

I've thought for years that there should be no offsides or icing in 4-on-4 overtime. This would open tonnes of new scoring opportunities and offensive set-plays. Far fewer games would make it to a shoot-out. Creativity would blossom. Wins would feel more satisfying. Player stats would increase somewhat. GWGs would become a more meaningful stat.

My list of Rule changes I'd like:

1. Mandatory visors for all players entering the league. This limits a lot of unnecessary eye and upper face injuries.

2. *Not really a rule change* Add a net cam so refs can better determine questionable goals.

3. Get rid of the Trapezoid. I never understood why they added this in the first place. Weren't they trying to increase offense? Let goalies play the puck and help their team with offense more. Also, if goalies exit their crease, contact is permitted.

4. For penalties, instead of eliminating the free icing like some people suggest, I'd say just make it so the defending team has to get past their own blue line before icing the puck. This makes power plays more effective therefore both increasing offense and decreasing penalties.

5. For OT, just extend it. Keep it 4-on-4, but make it 7 or 8 minutes. This makes shootout more of a rarity. I like shootouts, but I feel like they should be a rarity like only 2 or 3 per season for each team.

6. Instead of a 2-minute penalty for shooting the puck over the glass, treat it like an icing. No change and faceoff in your own zone. Less extreme. A 2-minute penalty is pretty over the top.

Since I'm not a goalie, I'm going to gingerly say that I'm listening more and more when people start talking about making the nets bigger. Six inches (brazzers) could make quite a difference. I wonder, though, if goalies would be more prone to blowing out their groins (more brazzers) trying to go post-to-post.

I agree that the trapezoid should go. If your goalie can play the puck like Kirk McLean, let him do it. If your goalie is a nutcase who thinks he's a 3rd defenseman like Marty Turco, let him make some crazy plays that end up in the back of his net.

No-touch icing should be a no-brainer. I don't know what's taking so long. Bettman is the only person who goes on camera to say that it's an exciting part of the game.

Not really a rule change, but I wish all games were miked and uncensored like HBO 24/7.

Archived