389 replies to this topic

#1 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,976 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:39 PM

Hey guys I know its a bit early but lets start it off, its pre-season just got my new gear and we're only 2 and a half months away from having the Locals and Whistler open. I'm gonna update this thread all the time with new info on the sport, mountain conditions, answer any questions anyone has on equipment or riding itself, such as beginners.

I'm a skier myself but I love riding with my snowboard buddies, no hate cause it doesn't matter what you ride cause we all love to do it.

I'm riding 2012 Armada ARV's skis, with Atomic Team FFG Bindings and Saloman SPK Pro boots. Its a sick set-up. I ride mostly on Cypress about 30+ times a year, also always plan going up to Whistler once every month. Share your guys stuff too! How you ride and where you ride. I'm an All-mountain/park rider and plan on doing way more park this year.

Posted Image
By the way, check out my sick playlist on youtube with over 120 stunning snowboard and ski edits.

Best Ski/Snowboard edits: http://www.youtube.c...feature=mh_lolz

Here's a few of my favorites:

Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#2 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,598 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:44 PM

Board:
Forum Bully
Posted Image

Bindings:
Forum Shaka
Posted Image

Just bought them in May, can't wait to try em out.

Edited by Jagermeister, 01 September 2012 - 02:45 PM.

Posted Image

#3 Tim Thomas

Tim Thomas

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:52 PM

you should focus on playing hockey

#4 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,976 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:53 PM

Dope Jagger^

Also here's some awesome new news for park riders. Cypress ordered a new airbag for their patio park.

Attention Park Riders, we have ordered an Air Bag! The Patio Park is being re-contoured for this very exciting addition. Stay tunned!

https://www.facebook...mountain.resort

If you don't know what that is. Its basically a giant cushion you can land on after trying big air jumps without getting hurt.

This is what they ordered:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr13-XKCZdM

you should focus on playing hockey

Thanks Tim Thomas, I'll take advice from you any day.

Edited by Armada, 01 September 2012 - 02:53 PM.

Posted Image

#5 Spotted Zebra

Spotted Zebra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:56 PM

I can't wait to go this year, barely had time to ride last year :( .

I have a couple friends who live at whistler so I may invest in a seasons pass at Blackcomb! Or if not Cyps is defs where I'm boarding.
Posted Image
Thanks Vintage Canuck!

#6 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,976 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:05 PM

I can't wait to go this year, barely had time to ride last year :( .

I have a couple friends who live at whistler so I may invest in a seasons pass at Blackcomb! Or if not Cyps is defs where I'm boarding.

If you've got the money and time then I would definitely suggest a season pass at Blackcomb.

I myself got the Cypress Silver Pass which is a great bargain.

Paid $439 to ride from opening to close for free. The only perks are you can't ski for free during the weekends in January and February but you do get 40% off on lift tickets. Its good for me cause I always work on the weekends, so I go up on weekdays.
Posted Image

#7 surtur

surtur

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 06:13 PM

can anyone recommend a good Board.
i have been out of the game for almost 10 years and have not been keeping up to date on what is good or not.
don't want to spend big bucks (i need to be able to afford one for the wife and kids) but also don't want something that is complete crap.
Release The KraKassian
Posted Image

#8 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:00 PM

Going to rock Manning Park and Sun Peaks a lot this year. Good times.

well I'm sorry that gd is soo perfect

#9 DW23

DW23

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:49 AM

i have been out of the game for almost 10 years and have not been keeping up to date on what is good or not.
don't want to spend big bucks (i need to be able to afford one for the wife and kids) but also don't want something that is complete crap.

all depends what you're looking for. do you ride mostly pist, park or off pist?

if you haven't been riding for a decade you'll be in for a surprise if you ride a banana or rocker.

way more pop and you'll feel like floating in powder

sig courtesy of luongorox

#10 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,976 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:43 AM

The top brands that come off my mind are Burton, Lib Tech, Forum, DC, K2, Ride, GNU, Capita.

If you're buying a board for your wife and kids, I assume they're beginners (We can get into how you ride and where you ride) so you might not want to spend big bucks. Either way I suggest heading down to the Boardroom on West 4th or in North Van. They can hook you up with some great stuff from last year that's been marked down making room for the new 2013 stuff but all in all last years boards are still awesome, plus they know everything about Boards, so they can help you guys out. Obviously you also have Sportchek which might be a better place for someone who's a beginner, but the quality of their stuff isn't as good as other places..

Personally for the kids I'd go with Burton.

http://ca.burton.com...default,sc.html

Edited by Armada, 02 September 2012 - 10:47 AM.

Posted Image

#11 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:26 PM

Got these off atomic last year , they are by far the best big mountain ski i have ever skied on , 93 mm underfoot , and at a length of 186cm these puppies are made to eat big mountains
Posted Image

my home mountain is mt. hotham , not a lot of vertical but the terrain is wicked .
we do get light dry snow here in australia and currently hotham has a 170 cm base. there is also lots hiking around the edges of the resort , with mt .feathertop being a 4-6 hike from the resort

Posted Image

Edited by The Ratiocinator, 03 September 2012 - 12:58 AM.

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#12 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,976 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:20 PM

That looks amazing^ Not gonna lie, didn't know Australia had snowy mountains like that.

I've never been able to do big mountain skiing but I wanna try it out this year or next year. Do you just hike or take a heli?

Edited by Armada, 02 September 2012 - 06:21 PM.

Posted Image

#13 Ovech Trick

Ovech Trick

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:36 PM

I love snow skiing, but can't do it very much here in South Carolina.
Snowboarded once, it was fun, but I enjoy skiing more.
Posted Image

Capitalist Hockey League - Minnesota Wild GM

#14 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,976 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:03 PM

I love snow skiing, but can't do it very much here in South Carolina.
Snowboarded once, it was fun, but I enjoy skiing more.

Bummer, but they do have some good stuff up on the East Coast just North of you guys.

Edited by Armada, 02 September 2012 - 09:03 PM.

Posted Image

#15 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:36 PM

That looks amazing^ Not gonna lie, didn't know Australia had snowy mountains like that.

I've never been able to do big mountain skiing but I wanna try it out this year or next year. Do you just hike or take a heli?

that's all hiking out there at Mt feather top ,the two main chutes ,hellfire and avalanche are ,you fall you die .we have not got a lot of bigmountain skiing like you guys ,but whatwe have is pretty cool.

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#16 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,976 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:24 AM

that's all hiking out there at Mt feather top ,the two main chutes ,hellfire and avalanche are ,you fall you die .we have not got a lot of bigmountain skiing like you guys ,but whatwe have is pretty cool.

That's awesome.

So you guys hike up and then ride down or do you guys hike up, camp there and head out in the morning?
Posted Image

#17 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:56 AM

That's awesome.

So you guys hike up and then ride down or do you guys hike up, camp there and head out in the morning?

we hike out along the razor back to the federation hut , about 4 hours with a 40 kilo pack . from the federation hut it is a 45 minute hike to the summit .
the summit is 1960 metres ,and on a good year the snowline is down around 1100-1200 metres , you only get 2 runs a day , but i like to hike the shutes first to see what the snowpack is like , and we like to dig pits to analyse the snowpack .
we usually stay out there for 3-4 days ,it not just about the skiing but the whole back country expereince .

back in 2001 i was based in nelson skiing whitewater a lot but also using ski-doos to access the back country , man i wish we could do that over here . my buddy had a 800cc two stroke yamaha and it was just as much fun ripping pow on that as it was on my ski's .

Marjane Satrapi

Aldous Huxley.

#18 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,976 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:50 AM

we hike out along the razor back to the federation hut , about 4 hours with a 40 kilo pack . from the federation hut it is a 45 minute hike to the summit .
the summit is 1960 metres ,and on a good year the snowline is down around 1100-1200 metres , you only get 2 runs a day , but i like to hike the shutes first to see what the snowpack is like , and we like to dig pits to analyse the snowpack .
we usually stay out there for 3-4 days ,it not just about the skiing but the whole back country expereince .

back in 2001 i was based in nelson skiing whitewater a lot but also using ski-doos to access the back country , man i wish we could do that over here . my buddy had a 800cc two stroke yamaha and it was just as much fun ripping pow on that as it was on my ski's .

Awesome stuff, definitely doing that next year here in BC.

With school and work this season I'll only be able to hit our locals and Whistler.
Posted Image

#19 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,277 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:00 PM

Posted Image

The Salomon Official that I ride.
Posted Image

#20 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,976 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:14 PM

That's filthy nice. ^

Loving the graphics.

Also here's the new Level 1 trailer for "Sunny" for those who love watching Ski movies and Snowboard movies. Level 1 makes some of the best.

Can't wait to watch it

Edited by Armada, 04 September 2012 - 12:14 PM.

Posted Image

#21 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,277 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:15 PM

That's filthy nice. ^

Loving the graphics.

It rides like a dream.

It says it's freestyle, but I use it in 30cm days on Blackcomb without an issue
Posted Image

#22 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:17 PM

Posted Image

The Salomon Official that I ride.

great board squeak, the aspen light core gives it lots of pop and feel in the pow , and the sintered 4000 base allows it to carry speed .

Marjane Satrapi

Aldous Huxley.

#23 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,277 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:33 PM

great board squeak, the aspen light core gives it lots of pop and feel in the pow , and the sintered 4000 base allows it to carry speed .

Thanks - it was a difficult to get it at a reasonable price. I was able to get it for $279.99 (reg price when I bought it was $569.99) but had to order it online, then ship to a P.O. box in the states, then bring it back over.

I for sure will be doing Big White, Sun Peaks and Whistler this year.

Trying to plan a weekend to Revelstoke, but don't know if I can get another full weekend in with trips already planned for Sun Peaks and Big White.

Edited by Squeak, 04 September 2012 - 02:35 PM.

Posted Image

#24 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:49 PM

Thanks - it was a difficult to get it at a reasonable price. I was able to get it for $279.99 (reg price when I bought it was $569.99) but had to order it online, then ship to a P.O. box in the states, then bring it back over.

I for sure will be doing Big White, Sun Peaks and Whistler this year.

Trying to plan a weekend to Revelstoke, but don't know if I can get another full weekend in with trips already planned for Sun Peaks and Big White.

recomended retail over here in australia is $799 , you got a bargain .
i know it is a bit further for you but you should give red mountain go , there is a lot of really good lines there .
also whitewater , which is just outside nelson , kinda like backcountry with a couple of lifts , but lots of hiking .

Marjane Satrapi

Aldous Huxley.

#25 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,976 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:52 PM

recomended retail over here in australia is $799 , you got a bargain .
i know it is a bit further for you but you should give red mountain go , there is a lot of really good lines there .
also whitewater , which is just outside nelson , kinda like backcountry with a couple of lifts , but lots of hiking .

How about Silverton mountain?

There's one chair lift on this behemoth of a mountain (13,000feet), not one single groomed run, not a lot of people, big mountain riding, great lines and straight powder. You basically make your own runs cause there's no set runs.

Edited by Armada, 04 September 2012 - 09:19 PM.

Posted Image

#26 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:39 AM

How about Silverton mountain?

There's one chair lift on this behemoth of a mountain (13,000feet), not one single groomed run, not a lot of people, big mountain riding, great lines and straight powder. You basically make your own runs cause there's no set runs.

Posted Image

Had never heard of this place before .

looks really good :) , a mix of lift accessed and hiking terrain .

i can see a line skiers right of billboard no.3 down into the maze that i would love to do .

Marjane Satrapi

Aldous Huxley.

#27 Rink on Renfrew

Rink on Renfrew

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:20 AM

I ride a Lib Tech T.Rice Board
Rome bindings
Thirty Two boots

Whistler/Blackcomb, All locals+Hemlock, Mt.Baker and usually one or two trips up to Revy/Golden for sledding and steeps.

Excited for the season! The best way to enjoy our Wet coast winter.

#28 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,976 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:53 AM

I ride a Lib Tech T.Rice Board
Rome bindings
Thirty Two boots

Whistler/Blackcomb, All locals+Hemlock, Mt.Baker and usually one or two trips up to Revy/Golden for sledding and steeps.

Excited for the season! The best way to enjoy our Wet coast winter.

I'm still shocked not everyone snowboards or skis here on the West Coast.

We've got the best mountain range in the world and its right in our back yard.

Speaking of mountain ranges, I wanna go to Japan one day, apparently they have some of the best powder ever.

Edited by Armada, 05 September 2012 - 09:57 AM.

Posted Image

#29 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:30 PM

I'm still shocked not everyone snowboards or skis here on the West Coast.

We've got the best mountain range in the world and its right in our back yard.

Speaking of mountain ranges, I wanna go to Japan one day, apparently they have some of the best powder ever.

yeah but most of the terrian is pretty flat .

if you go to japan go to hakuba , niseko gets more snow but the terrain is crap .

tokyo is an incredible city and the japanese people are some of the politest, honest people i have ever interacted with .

Marjane Satrapi

Aldous Huxley.

#30 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,976 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:38 PM

yeah but most of the terrian is pretty flat .

if you go to japan go to hakuba , niseko gets more snow but the terrain is crap .

tokyo is an incredible city and the japanese people are some of the politest, honest people i have ever interacted with .

Definitely heard great things about that country, its on the list of things to see and do.

If I could just win the lottery and live my life skiing around the world. That's the dream.

Edited by Armada, 05 September 2012 - 09:40 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.