The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Snowboard & Ski Thread

Armada

Don't give up. That only shows you wont try things that are foreign to you. Get up, dust yourself off and own the mountain! There is no other feeling in the world than carving the mountain on a snowboard. The same can be said of skiing, two of my greatest passions. That and the ski bunnies, and I am a lucky man to have one who kicks my butt at both boarding and skiing.

You are indeed a lucky man , a girl like that is a beautiful thing :)

There is no chance that 7th heaven is open.

If it is -- I wouldn't go ANYWHERE near it --- that is one fast way to destroy your equipment.

Haven't been to Whistler prior to January.

Wouldn't 7th heaven get the most snow? I know its the rockiest part of the mountain with tones of boulders but the snowfall is huge up. I guess unless the clouds are below 7th heaven which seems to be the case Friday then sure but Saturday there should be massive snowfall at the top of Blackomb? Looks like its gonna be super windy. Oh well :lol:

screen-capture.png

Look at that... over 100cm's of snow in 4 days :o

Wouldn't 7th heaven get the most snow? I know its the rockiest part of the mountain with tones of boulders but the snowfall is huge up. I guess unless the clouds are below 7th heaven which seems to be the case Friday then sure but Saturday there should be massive snowfall at the top of Blackomb? Looks like its gonna be super windy. Oh well :lol:

The issue is the boulders and rocks; and there is no snowmaking equipment over that side.

Plus when it is windy, because 7th heaven is so 'open', all the new snow gets blown out of there.

Trust me when I say - don't bother with 7th heaven before the base is 200+ cms

The issue is the boulders and rocks; and there is no snowmaking equipment over that side.

Plus when it is windy, because 7th heaven is so 'open', all the new snow gets blown out of there.

Trust me when I say - don't bother with 7th heaven before the base is 200+ cms

I'll take that tip.

Edit: Come to think of it, I'm still gonna go up and check it out :lol: . I'll be the guinea pig and test it out.

I'll take that tip.

Edit: Come to think of it, I'm still gonna go up and check it out :lol: . I'll be the guinea pig and test it out.

I am for sure heading up on Dec 16.

Depending on the snowfall - I MIGHT check 7th Heaven out... but even then I doubt it will be ready.

Will likely stick to my usual areas on Blackcomb.

I am for sure heading up on Dec 16.

Depending on the snowfall - I MIGHT check 7th Heaven out... but even then I doubt it will be ready.

Will likely stick to my usual areas on Blackcomb.

Just realized Blackomb doesn't open till the 22nd. So we're going to Whistler and then Blackomb on the 24th.

Just a question to you all. What do you listen to for music on the hill?

Here are a few of my favourite songs:

Snow (hey oh) - RHCP

Californication - RHCP

Big Sky - Reverend Horton Heat (Opening in a Warren Miller film)

Any song by QOTSA and EODM

What gets you going on the hill?

Snow (hey oh) - RHCP

Californication - RHCP

Right on! RHCP.

Music just makes the experience so much more deep.

I listen to a lot of different genres and gather most of that music from ski and snowboard movies.

Just a few of my favorites here:

Sail - Awolnation

Lonely Boy - Black Eyed Peas

Simple & Plain - Fresh Breath Committe

Radioactive - Imagine Dragons

Rock And Roll - Led Zeppelin

Punching In A Dream - Naked And The Famous

Right on! RHCP.

Music just makes the experience so much more deep.

I listen to a lot of different genres and gather most of that music from ski and snowboard movies.

Just a few of my favorites here:

Sail - Awolnation

Simple & Plain - Fresh Breath Committe

Radioactive - Imagine Dragons

Rock And Roll - Led Zeppelin

Punching In A Dream - Naked And The Famous

Those plus:

Coastin' - Zion-I

Teenage Wasteland- The Who

The City- Madeon

Nosebleed Section- Hilltop Hoods

Kink- Archie Bronson Outfit

Also...

:lol:

screen-capture.png

Look at that... over 100cm's of snow in 4 days :o

Powder heaven mate ::D Can i come over and sleep on your floor :lol:

Snow (hey oh) - RHCP

Californication - RHCP

My favourite , "amp me up" song at the moment

We hit up Whistler on day 2 today. It was great with the snowfall from the night before (30+ cm's). Was awesome to get some true pow on some of the ungroomed runs.

Sadly there were only 4 chairs open and you couldn't ride down to the village yet but it wasn't busy at all and we got a good dose of snow!

526122_10151319012025359_1836550907_n.jpg

Can't wait till Blackcomb opens next weekend :towel:

I'm looking to buy a board/bindings this year. Started snowboarding last winter, and got out a few times and loved it! Plan on getting out a lot more often this year. You guys have any suggestion on what I should look for/at?

I'm in Manitoba, so we don't really have any big hills, but I am planning on getting out to B.C. with a few more experience guys later this winter.

I'm looking to buy a board/bindings this year. Started snowboarding last winter, and got out a few times and loved it! Plan on getting out a lot more often this year. You guys have any suggestion on what I should look for/at?

I'm in Manitoba, so we don't really have any big hills, but I am planning on getting out to B.C. with a few more experience guys later this winter.

That depends on a lot of things like how much you're willing to spend and what type of riding you want to focus on eventually.

For bindings, if you're relatively new I'd check out them Rome Arsenals http://www.romesnowboards.com/bindings/arsenal/ They're an awesome binding for just ripping around the hill and charging everything and they're not mind blowingly expensive (I rode them for three seasons and had no complaints)

Buuuuut if you feel like going all out the Rome 390 bosses and the Union Forces are the best bindings on the market imo.

I'm a big Capita fan boy so for you're very first ever snowboard I'm gonna tell you to check out the Stairmaster. It's basically their flagship board. It's a regular camber (wouldn't recommend starting with a reverse camber), true twin so it's pretty much just a normal freaking snowboard, but it will be perfect for basically anything you want to learn, except maybe ripping huge pow lines, which I doubt you get a lot of in Winnipeg anyway.

If you don't feel like going broke try to find a board from a season or two ago you'll save a fortune, and honestly snowboard tech isn't making massive game changing improvements every year, its mostly just hype.

One last piece of advice, whatever you do for the love of god please don't cheap out on your boots, if you do it will be hell. Take the time to find the right size, my shoes are a size 11 my snowboard boots are a 9.5. Make sure you get them at least a little smaller than your shoes. When you first buy them they should be super snug maybe even feel a little too small but make sure they're soft and comfy too!

Archived