The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Snowboard & Ski Thread

Armada

Went up to biggie this weekend for opening day and for a 65cm snow base it was a pretty damn good ride! So rusty, so sore from falling on the few rails they got set up. Not too much terrain open yet but all will come when winter actually comes ahaha

Cypress opened today! B)

Hoping to hit the slopes (bunny hills) soon.

I only wish my weekends are free.... stupid CFA exam.... :sadno:

Yup! My first shift is on Sunday!

Super stoked. Can't wait till we can open the rest of the mountain.

Weather looks pretty sunny for the next week though, so they'll be a lot of snowmaking.

• 4 weeks later...

Been renting skis my whole life and now am going to invest in a pair of skis and boots.

How does one find choose which one fits them best and what brands should I be looking for. And price range please!

I am a recreational skier who usually go 5-6 times a season but looking to go more (roughly 10-15 times)

Been renting skis my whole life and now am going to invest in a pair of skis and boots.

How does one find choose which one fits them best and what brands should I be looking for. And price range please!

I am a recreational skier who usually go 5-6 times a season but looking to go more (roughly 10-15 times)

I'm assuming you're not looking for anything fancy.

Rule #1 don't cheap out on boots, those are the most important part of a setup. You're going to want to look for a set of "all mountain" skis most likely and find what size you need based on your height and weight.

You're looking at around $300 minimum to $1200 for the top of line.

You can find a lot of Binding + ski package deals and then boots for all together price of $600. It honestly depends on what you ride, park, powder, groomers and how much you want to spend.

Some good brands: Atomic, Armada, Saloman, 4frnt, Line, Rosignol.

Been thinking about getting into snowboarding, but I know it's all about balance and my balance is terrible. I'm sure praticing would help it, but I feel I'll be on my ass most of the time

That's how everyone is. Took my friend up for the first time last year and after his 3rd run he had no problems on blues and blacks.

Just bend those knees.

Been thinking about getting into snowboarding, but I know it's all about balance and my balance is terrible. I'm sure praticing would help it, but I feel I'll be on my ass most of the time

Went with a couple of friends and watched the one newbie faceplant many times down the hill on cypress. Took over an hour to get down the hill. The most painful was watching her faceplant, bounce once, then seeing her board come up and then whack her in the back. I think she was black and blue.. but hey, I think she still had a good time! Go for it!

Russell Henshaw

D.O.B. 06/08/1990 Location Jindabyne, New South Wales, Australia Discipline(s) Freeskiing

About Russell

Russ%20Henshaw.jpg

Born in Sydney, Henshaw strapped on his first pair of skis when he was three. A dozen years later, encouraged by national under-12 slalom titles, his parents moved to Jindabyne, the golden gateway to the NSW snowfields. Now he spends most of the year with his passport in his pocket on a world dream snowfields tour; home maybe for 10 days for Christmas in the northern winter, anywhere from his beloved Thredbo to New Zealand or even South America during the southern winter.

There’s a little bit of his old man in Russ Henshaw. It’s in his right knee. It’s a little snipped ribbon of his dad’s hamstring tendon and it’s been doing the trick as a jury-rigged ACL since June 3, 2011. Russ Henshaw is a pinned down 21-year-old freeskier from the pretty, schizophrenic snow hub of Jindabyne in NSW. He is also one of the fastest rising alpine athletes in the world: the 2011 northern hemisphere winter saw him win X Games and World Championship medals, land the world’s second ever triple cork and establish himself as one of the most innovative skiers of his generation.

With slopestyle just added to the Winter Olympic program for Soichi in 2014, it also makes him one of Australia’s brightest gold medal prospects – even as he recovers. Russ will be back on the slopes for the 2012 northern winter… with dad’s help. “It’ll be a dream come true to represent my country,” he says.

He tore his ACL in Alaska, “trying to do a switch unnatural dub rodeo nine so I had all four double corks in my arsenal of tricks”. Frustratingly, he completed it – only to come up short on the jump and bounce into the landing. Still, with risk comes reward, and Henshaw heals fast. Having started skiing at three, he’s spent minimal time off the slopes, even despite once fracturing a kneecap into 30 separate pieces (a diagnosis missed by NZ doctors), which only cost him four months. “[The ACL] is going great,” he says. “I should be able to start jumping and doing what I do by mid-November.”

Now part of his dad will get the chance to join him on the podium – and in the air. Lucky the old boy has the stones to keep it cool when Russ is 40 feet in the air. “Oh, Dad doesn’t really freak out,” he says. “He keeps up with where I’m at. My mum kinda does but I don’t think she really grasps how big it is on the TV. I think if she saw it in person she’d… she’d faint.” Russ is one of Four Aussie athletes that have a very good chance of bring home a medal from the Socchi olympics ...

I moved back to BC to flipping snowboard...... and this is all you can do snow gods??!!! I bought a Seymour pass only and the goddamn magic carpet is open. I'm so freeeeeeeeeeeeeakin frustrated

I know right. I work at Cypress and we do have a lot more terrain open than Seymour but we keep getting calls saying "When are you gonna open more runs".

Just hoping for snow. Feel like we'll get a massive dump soon. Just been really nice and sunny lately, compared to years past.

I know right. I work at Cypress and we do have a lot more terrain open than Seymour but we keep getting calls saying "When are you gonna open more runs".

Just hoping for snow. Feel like we'll get a massive dump soon. Just been really nice and sunny lately, compared to years past.

This is what it is like for Aussie skiers , it is not very often that we have snow for opening weekend and the first 3-4 weeks , last season was a window of 5-6 weeks of reasonable cover.

Alex Pullin

20130502-owia_profile_pics-0133-ullina.jpg

Sport:

Snowboard

Athlete

Nickname:

Chumpy

Place of Birth:

Mansfield, Victoria

Place of Residence:

Eden Cove, NSW

Scholarship Commenced:

Tuesday, 1st July 2008

Scholarship Year:

alexchumpypullin.com

Biography:

With a World Championship and the World Cup end of season overall championship secured in the one season, Chumpy has the world at his feet.

Growing up at the base of Mt Buller in the Victorian town of Mansfield, Chumpy traded his skis for a snowboard at eight-years-old and has continuously shown that he was destined to reach the peak of his sport, snowboard cross. Chumpy’s rare talent, drive and bitter-sweet memories of his last Winter Olympic Games were the catalyst for his rapid growth as an athlete. After clocking the fastest qualifying time at the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympic Games, Chumpy made strategic mistakes in the first round of the final that put an end to his dream of a medal.

However, like every successful person, he has learned from his mistakes and now approaches every race in a more calculating way. With additional “smarts” to add to his impressive list of skills, he is always in contention for the top

Personal Best Results:

Note: current as @ 01 April 2013

• Olympic Winter Games - 17th, Vancouver, CAN, 2010
  • World Championships - 1st, La Molina, SPA, 2011
  • World Cup - 1st, Valmalenco, ITA, 2010

Childhood Ambition: To be a pirate

Proudest moment: Crystal globe victory

Favourite Food: Sushi

Favourite Music: Rolling stones, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin

I began this sport: To do what I love + to be a champion

Participation in other sports: Surfing, Mountain Biking

When I am not training/competing I am Surfing and playing music

Favourite overseas competition destination and why: Japan and South America

Sponsors: Suzuki, Red Bull, Bolle, AprexSnowboards, The North Face, 2XU

I know chumpy he is a very driven person , he was gutted with his result in Vancouver and is gearing his season around the Olympics this year , two tiime world champ and world cup over all winner , kick some ass mate.

Man at least you guys can get the snow guns going at Cypress, I think Seymour might still be on an all natural snow program or they just have very limited snow guns. I've been thinking about buying a day pass for Cypress or Grouse just to get a little fix. How's the park looking at Cypress? I heard they've made some big upgrades in the last few years.

Archived