The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Snowboard & Ski Thread

Armada

I was able to get out to Sunshine Vilage and Lake Louise for five days over this last week. Conditions were good considering it is still early but the recent snowfall in Banff/Jasper will make for awesome conditions.

Marmot Basin has got 55cm today, Sunshine Village and Lake Louise around 20cm each and an absolute ton yesterday as well.

What I found to be cool is Louise is hosting a World Cup and there was a team from Germany that was taking practice runs the last day I was there.

This year I will be riding a new board/binding combination, as well as a new helmet and goggles. Would also have ordered a new jacket this season, but I can't find the one I want anywhere except the retailer's website but they won't sell to Canada unfortunately. Each one of the pieces of equipment I got was the first new gear I got in over 10 years (besides some soft goods like pants/gloves/toque/etc...). I'm not hard on my equipment and buy good stuff to begin with so it lasts!

The board is a YES PYL 159 - the first non-camber board I've ever owned! I don't suppose anyone here has experience with this board for some feedback?......probably not as it seems to be somewhat rare - but I can see why as it is on the expensive side of the board spectrum.

I haven't been out yet, but with this new gear sitting in my living room I feel like a little kid at X-mas time:).

This year I will be riding a new board/binding combination, as well as a new helmet and goggles. Would also have ordered a new jacket this season, but I can't find the one I want anywhere except the retailer's website but they won't sell to Canada unfortunately. Each one of the pieces of equipment I got was the first new gear I got in over 10 years (besides some soft goods like pants/gloves/toque/etc...). I'm not hard on my equipment and buy good stuff to begin with so it lasts!

The board is a YES PYL 159 - the first non-camber board I've ever owned! I don't suppose anyone here has experience with this board for some feedback?......probably not as it seems to be somewhat rare - but I can see why as it is on the expensive side of the board spectrum.

I haven't been out yet, but with this new gear sitting in my living room I feel like a little kid at X-mas time:).

Ship to the US and just pick it up when you cross the border.

• 1 month later...

Just bought a new board, picked up a Yes. Standard 154. Super excited to use it, heading out tomorrow for a trip to Revelstoke, Golden & Lake Louise for its first use.

34s2lgg.jpg
How's everyones season been so far?
I'd like to get to Whistler (never been) but I'd absolutely love to go, just need to find the time to make it out considering I am a 14 hour drive away.

Terrible season so far unfortunately, conditions bad/below average everywhere I've been to. Hope you have a good trip though. Enjoy the new board, I've heard nothing but good things about that model.

Unfortunately its been pretty warm.

Kind of expected with the El Nino this year; however, historically during seasons like this one it tends to snow a lot at the end in February and March.

Haven't gotten in a lot of riding so far as previous year but hoping for some big dumps for some big trips coming up.

Just bought a new board, picked up a Yes. Standard 154. Super excited to use it, heading out tomorrow for a trip to Revelstoke, Golden & Lake Louise for its first use.

34s2lgg.jpg
I'd like to get to Whistler (never been) but I'd absolutely love to go, just need to find the time to make it out considering I am a 14 hour drive away.

If you are going to Whistler stop by a local 711 in the Vancouver area or Squamish as you can get a severely discounted ticket for Whistler from them.

Conditions weren't great at Cypress last week. Tested out my new pair of skis on a black run, at night, foggy, on very slushy conditions, after a couple of years hiatus from skiing..... I felt like a total noob, lol.

That being said, if you're just learning, it's not necessarily bad to hit of one of the North Shore slopes. Slushy snow makes things slower and when you fall, it's not as painful compared to ice.

Went up to Whistler this past weekend. Conditions were not very good and kept me from actually committing to a lift ticket...granted I also got sick at the same time. Girlfriend has a pass and went both days and said the conditions were not very good. Will have to go up again.

This season has been disgusting other than a couple days in early Jan. No sign of the weather improving within next week or so either. Don't even bother going to the locals right now to pay full lift ticket prices and damaging your skis/boards on the rocks.

That's key.

I think for Cypress, they have those 40% student discounts on certain random days. Roughly $25 after 5pm.... not that shabby of an idea.

This season has been disgusting other than a couple days in early Jan. No sign of the weather improving within next week or so either. Don't even bother going to the locals right now to pay full lift ticket prices and damaging your skis/boards on the rocks.

Tickets are currently 20% off at Cypress.

If you are going to do a park day, its awesome on a sunny day when no one else is up there.

Hemlock released this statement.

10947301_10152661838023873_4004696508661

Terrible season so far unfortunately, conditions bad/below average everywhere I've been to. Hope you have a good trip though. Enjoy the new board, I've heard nothing but good things about that model.

Trip was fun, conditions weren't too great. 4 of the 5 days were >0C. The last day I was at Louise and caught ~6cm overnight which was fun but it only covered the ice which then re-surfaced over the day. The other 4 days were a mix or slush and ice.

Board was awesome, went from the park to the trees without hesitation. Had a ton of fun throwing it around whether it be in the trees or in the park.

Going to Apex this weekend.

Looks like 30cm's coming down leading up to the day I'll be there.

Also, I was with friend's who were getting their first boards at sports junkies and almost bought some 2012 K2 Sean Petitor's. They were in absolute stunning condition and 189cm's for some serious float in the pow for only $345.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived