The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Snowboard & Ski Thread

Armada

I don't know if many of you watch any Ski or Snowboard movies but I watch a lot.

MSP and Poor Boyz Productions have their new trailers and I'm pumped but its gonna be hard to beat Attack Of La Nina and Revolver.

Poor Boyz - We

MSP - Superheros of Stoke

Awesome stuff.

I've already done all the online stuff, looks pretty basic, maybe I'll get my lvl 2 afterwards.

I just want to work on the mountain.

We'll see how I like it after the first year. The perks are great.

If not I wouldn't mind working as a repair guy, waxing the skis, mounting the bindings up there, etc...

my first five seasons , i bought a bed in a club lodge and skied everyday , i found out that a lot of guys i was riding with were sleeping in their cars , so for the next five seasons i slept in the back of my car and rode every day , some of the best times of my life.

friends of mine who owned the snowbird convinced me to live with them , they gave me a job as a dishpig for one year , then my friend mark cowley [2 time australian bordercross champion] started up a snowboard shop called , The Freezer ,i was the ski-tech and i ran the ski-hire , the media guys at mt.hotham {makers of the snow show} also gave me a gig as a ski-model , the companies who had been supporting me {Arnette , Quicksilver , Dynastar}, stepped up their support .

I have tried a few things in this life , but those 18 seasons {1992-2009} i spent as a ski-bum were the happiest years of my life .

I define success as being with the people you love, in the place you love, doing what you love .

As Ratiocinator said - being a ski instructor is very hard for the first few years. As you start at the bottom, and work your way up. But it can lead to other jobs on the mountain (*with other training mind you) such as ski patrol, operations, etc.

I usually download and watch the high profile snowboard videos and watch them.

But I do always go to the Warren Miller film premieres here in Vancouver, or go down to Bellingham to watch it. We do it because, you get coupons for Whistler, Sun Peaks and Big White -- so it makes the $25 worth it to buy.

I don't know if many of you watch any Ski or Snowboard movies but I watch a lot.

MSP and Poor Boyz Productions have their new trailers and I'm pumped but its gonna be hard to beat Attack Of La Nina and Revolver.

Poor Boyz - We

MSP - Superheros of Stoke

do you have the ski-movie , STEEP , it is a history of steep , big mountain skiing. also the movie , Falling Forward , it is made by storm show studios , the media guys at jackson hole , the skiiers in this movie verbalise what the life of a ski-bum is like and what motivates many of us to give up our regular lives to ride mountains.

do you have the ski-movie , STEEP , it is a history of steep , big mountain skiing. also the movie , Falling Forward , it is made by storm show studios , the media guys at jackson hole , the skiiers in this movie verbalise what the life of a ski-bum is like and what motivates many of us to give up our regular lives to ride mountains.

Yup.

I've seen it twice. Glorious movie. Tells a story compared to the others.

The movies I own: (Pretty recent stuff only)

Being There

Attack Of La Nina

Revolver

Steep

The Way I see It

One For The Road

Come Find US

Grand Bizarre

Prime Cut

All I Can <---- This one is stunning, I suggest it.

Yup.

I've seen it twice. Glorious movie.

The movies I own: (Pretty recent stuff only)

Being There

Attack Of La Nina

Revolver

Steep

The Way I see It

One For The Road

Come Find US

Grand Bizarre

Prime Cut

All I Can <---- This one is stunning, I suggest it.

right on brother , can you tell me the name of the production company that made , All I Can ?

Just finished watching "We" By Poor Boyz Productions

It was so good, the technical tricks they were pulling off was amazing. Definitely suggest you guys check it out, there's some hilarious stuff in there too.

I wanna hit the mountain so badly. Only 1 and half months till the mountains start opening.

As for the Winter countdown we've got 82 days left still!

So does anyone know anything about Jumbo Glacier Resort, I'm excited for all year round skiing but haven't heard much news since the approval.

It would be the first "all year round" ski resort in North America and it looks HUGE.

I want to work here in the future.

The 104-hectare resort is destined for the spectacular Jumbo Valley, about 55 kilometres west of Invermere. The plan calls for two hotels and 1,360 residential units with 6,250 beds. According to proponents, the development, which includes 23 lifts and a 3,000-metre-high gondola, will attract up to 700,000 visitors a year and provide 750 permanent jobs.

http://www.theglobea.../article535034/

These are the proposed chairlifts and the proposed municipality:

Jumbo-Glacier-Resort-Mountains-e1332273020692.png

Jumbo-Glacier-Resort-BC-e1332272963978.png

url.jpg

Here's Jumbo's website

http://jumboglacierresort.com/

Just got my seasons pass the other day and first snow (not very much) today!!

I live just a couple hours from Jumbo and yeah it seems like an awesome idea in theory, but look at Revy and its total operation. Fantastic conditions, massive and only comparable to Whistler (for Canada), biggest downfall is location. The Rockies are not developed like Europe, no high speed trains or major airports nearby. Its awesome for us to hit up a place with low traffic and its only a couple hours to drive there but its terrible for people who don't live here in the Rockies.

Until the economy goes up and a better system than driving for days to get to these semi remote places you wont see huge success with them. Personally im not huge on the Jumbo idea because in a few generations time they will be looking at every piece of land to develop for someone's resort and destroying some of the last unclaimed places worth saving in this half of the country,

Ranting aside you can still go to Jumbo right now without the commercialization. Also if you are in the area you should stop by and check out a few off the beaten path hills that arn't mainstream yet. I hope I get out to Kicking Horse and Whistler again this year, trips to hills are the best adventures!

Cheers!

Just got my seasons pass the other day and first snow (not very much) today!!

I live just a couple hours from Jumbo and yeah it seems like an awesome idea in theory, but look at Revy and its total operation. Fantastic conditions, massive and only comparable to Whistler (for Canada), biggest downfall is location. The Rockies are not developed like Europe, no high speed trains or major airports nearby. Its awesome for us to hit up a place with low traffic and its only a couple hours to drive there but its terrible for people who don't live here in the Rockies.

Until the economy goes up and a better system than driving for days to get to these semi remote places you wont see huge success with them. Personally im not huge on the Jumbo idea because in a few generations time they will be looking at every piece of land to develop for someone's resort and destroying some of the last unclaimed places worth saving in this half of the country,

Ranting aside you can still go to Jumbo right now without the commercialization. Also if you are in the area you should stop by and check out a few off the beaten path hills that arn't mainstream yet. I hope I get out to Kicking Horse and Whistler again this year, trips to hills are the best adventures!

Cheers!

Awesome stuff Mountain Man! +1 Which mountains yours?

Totally agree with you about our transportation compared to Europe's.

I've never been to Kicking Horse but I heard great things about it before, how's the snow? I plan on doing a tour of BC to every Ski resort next winter.

I ski the big 3 here near Banff. Sunshine, Lake Louise, and Norquay.

Kicking Horse is the best snow (deepest and most) in the eastern Rockies. Only downfall is it is in Golden which is a dump.

I miss my time at Whistler But the dry snow out here makes it easier to ski on for you and your clothes.

Archived