The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Snowboard & Ski Thread

Armada

Hey guys I know its a bit early but lets start it off, its pre-season just got my new gear and we're only 2 and a half months away from having the Locals and Whistler open. I'm gonna update this thread all the time with new info on the sport, mountain conditions, answer any questions anyone has on equipment or riding itself, such as beginners.

I'm a skier myself but I love riding with my snowboard buddies, no hate cause it doesn't matter what you ride cause we all love to do it.

I'm riding 2012 Armada ARV's skis, with Atomic Team FFG Bindings and Saloman SPK Pro boots. Its a sick set-up. I ride mostly on Cypress about 30+ times a year, also always plan going up to Whistler once every month. Share your guys stuff too! How you ride and where you ride. I'm an All-mountain/park rider and plan on doing way more park this year.

Armada_ARV_2012.png

By the way, check out my sick playlist on youtube with over 120 stunning snowboard and ski edits.

Best Ski/Snowboard edits:

Here's a few of my favorites:

Dope Jagger^

Also here's some awesome new news for park riders. Cypress ordered a new airbag for their patio park.

Attention Park Riders, we have ordered an Air Bag! The Patio Park is being re-contoured for this very exciting addition. Stay tunned!

https://www.facebook...mountain.resort

If you don't know what that is. Its basically a giant cushion you can land on after trying big air jumps without getting hurt.

This is what they ordered:

you should focus on playing hockey

Thanks Tim Thomas, I'll take advice from you any day.

I can't wait to go this year, barely had time to ride last year :( .

I have a couple friends who live at whistler so I may invest in a seasons pass at Blackcomb! Or if not Cyps is defs where I'm boarding.

If you've got the money and time then I would definitely suggest a season pass at Blackcomb.

I myself got the Cypress Silver Pass which is a great bargain.

Paid $439 to ride from opening to close for free. The only perks are you can't ski for free during the weekends in January and February but you do get 40% off on lift tickets. Its good for me cause I always work on the weekends, so I go up on weekdays.

can anyone recommend a good Board.

i have been out of the game for almost 10 years and have not been keeping up to date on what is good or not.

don't want to spend big bucks (i need to be able to afford one for the wife and kids) but also don't want something that is complete crap.

i have been out of the game for almost 10 years and have not been keeping up to date on what is good or not.

don't want to spend big bucks (i need to be able to afford one for the wife and kids) but also don't want something that is complete crap.

all depends what you're looking for. do you ride mostly pist, park or off pist?

if you haven't been riding for a decade you'll be in for a surprise if you ride a banana or rocker.

way more pop and you'll feel like floating in powder

The top brands that come off my mind are Burton, Lib Tech, Forum, DC, K2, Ride, GNU, Capita.

If you're buying a board for your wife and kids, I assume they're beginners (We can get into how you ride and where you ride) so you might not want to spend big bucks. Either way I suggest heading down to the Boardroom on West 4th or in North Van. They can hook you up with some great stuff from last year that's been marked down making room for the new 2013 stuff but all in all last years boards are still awesome, plus they know everything about Boards, so they can help you guys out. Obviously you also have Sportchek which might be a better place for someone who's a beginner, but the quality of their stuff isn't as good as other places..

Personally for the kids I'd go with Burton.

http://ca.burton.com...default,sc.html

Got these off atomic last year , they are by far the best big mountain ski i have ever skied on , 93 mm underfoot , and at a length of 186cm these puppies are made to eat big mountains

AA0024236_1.png

my home mountain is mt. hotham , not a lot of vertical but the terrain is wicked .

we do get light dry snow here in australia and currently hotham has a 170 cm base. there is also lots hiking around the edges of the resort , with mt .feathertop being a 4-6 hike from the resort

preview.jpg

That looks amazing^ Not gonna lie, didn't know Australia had snowy mountains like that.

I've never been able to do big mountain skiing but I wanna try it out this year or next year. Do you just hike or take a heli?

I love snow skiing, but can't do it very much here in South Carolina.

Snowboarded once, it was fun, but I enjoy skiing more.

Bummer, but they do have some good stuff up on the East Coast just North of you guys.

That looks amazing^ Not gonna lie, didn't know Australia had snowy mountains like that.

I've never been able to do big mountain skiing but I wanna try it out this year or next year. Do you just hike or take a heli?

that's all hiking out there at Mt feather top ,the two main chutes ,hellfire and avalanche are ,you fall you die .we have not got a lot of bigmountain skiing like you guys ,but whatwe have is pretty cool.

that's all hiking out there at Mt feather top ,the two main chutes ,hellfire and avalanche are ,you fall you die .we have not got a lot of bigmountain skiing like you guys ,but whatwe have is pretty cool.

That's awesome.

So you guys hike up and then ride down or do you guys hike up, camp there and head out in the morning?

That's awesome.

So you guys hike up and then ride down or do you guys hike up, camp there and head out in the morning?

we hike out along the razor back to the federation hut , about 4 hours with a 40 kilo pack . from the federation hut it is a 45 minute hike to the summit .

the summit is 1960 metres ,and on a good year the snowline is down around 1100-1200 metres , you only get 2 runs a day , but i like to hike the shutes first to see what the snowpack is like , and we like to dig pits to analyse the snowpack .

we usually stay out there for 3-4 days ,it not just about the skiing but the whole back country expereince .

back in 2001 i was based in nelson skiing whitewater a lot but also using ski-doos to access the back country , man i wish we could do that over here . my buddy had a 800cc two stroke yamaha and it was just as much fun ripping pow on that as it was on my ski's .

we hike out along the razor back to the federation hut , about 4 hours with a 40 kilo pack . from the federation hut it is a 45 minute hike to the summit .

the summit is 1960 metres ,and on a good year the snowline is down around 1100-1200 metres , you only get 2 runs a day , but i like to hike the shutes first to see what the snowpack is like , and we like to dig pits to analyse the snowpack .

we usually stay out there for 3-4 days ,it not just about the skiing but the whole back country expereince .

back in 2001 i was based in nelson skiing whitewater a lot but also using ski-doos to access the back country , man i wish we could do that over here . my buddy had a 800cc two stroke yamaha and it was just as much fun ripping pow on that as it was on my ski's .

Awesome stuff, definitely doing that next year here in BC.

With school and work this season I'll only be able to hit our locals and Whistler.

Archived