Armada

Just a few of my favorites here:

Sail - Awolnation

Lonely Boy - Black Eyed Peas

Simple & Plain - Fresh Breath Committe

Radioactive - Imagine Dragons

Rock And Roll - Led Zeppelin

Punching In A Dream - Naked And The Famous

Naked and the Famous, Imagine Dragons and Black Keys - all EXCELLENT choices.

I have those - mixed in with Of Montreal, Incubus, Mother-Mother, Bloc Party, Muse and 30 Seconds to Mars.

Naked and the Famous, Imagine Dragons and Black Keys - all EXCELLENT choices.

I have those - mixed in with Of Montreal, Incubus, Mother-Mother, Bloc Party, Muse and 30 Seconds to Mars.

Phenomenal choice of music. Great stuff to listen to on the slopes.

I hope you have a great days riding mate :)

Once summer roles around here you'll be the one telling us about what you're riding down there :lol:

By the way how is Mount Hotham down there during the winter? Looks fairly big.

I'm really hating all you BC guys right now, my "local" hill has had two runs open with no natural snow for almost three weeks now.

We're getting there. Depends on which mountain in BC. Some are open, some only have a few runs open and some are opening fully soon. Stoked!

Best youtube news of the day.

Abe Kislevtiz (GoPro legend) released another amazing video today with his USC Ski team. Fantastic editing as usual :o

Edit: For some reason video will not embed in this post.

Mt. Hotam is a good training ground for big mountain skiing , we lack the vertical of places like blackcomb , but the terrain is challenging to ski fast , and the hiking around the resort is epic

Mt-Hotham-smaller.jpg

And 5 hours hike away is Mt .feathertop , Summit 1960 m, on a good year snowline is at 1200

7991341497_5b34f5cbac_z.jpg

Couple of shutes , Hellfire and avelanche , you fall you die .

Mt. Hotam is a good training ground for big mountain skiing , we lack the vertical of places like blackcomb , but the terrain is challenging to ski fast , and the hiking around the resort is epic

Mt-Hotham-smaller.jpg

And 5 hours hike away is Mt .feathertop , Summit 1960 m, on a good year snowline is at 1200

7991341497_5b34f5cbac_z.jpg

Couple of shutes , Hellfire and avelanche , you fall you die .

Looks great. Very different from what I normally see. Must be the trees.

How longs the season?

Anyone got suggestions for reasonably priced helmets?

I wear something similar to the K2 rant (http://k2skis.com/helmets/rant-1213), however it depends on what kind of style skier/boarder you are, and what kind of helmet you like. I'd recommend going into a ski shop and having a look as most of them generally will have a huge selection and variation of helmets.

Looks great. Very different from what I normally see. Must be the trees.

How longs the season?

Snow Charts

SnowBase.gif

SnowFall.gif

2000 was an epic season , probably 60 odd powder days .

2006 was crap ,rode village loop ALL season

last season was solid , rode a 60 cm storm day that was some of the lightest , driest snow i have ridden in this country :)

Right on! Last season looked almost as great as 2000 ^ Pray for a dump for next season.

On a side note for any of the snowboarders out there. Torstein Horgmo is my favorite pro snowboarder. He's a hilarious guy and this video just shows his character, just looks like a good time.

Hey armada and friends. thanks for giving me tips for my first time. got destroyed at cypress and was just wondering a few things. For snowboarding, is there a certain board length thats optimal for your weight and height? I'm 150lbs at 6'0/5'11 and I borrowed my friends 161cm board and thought it was really hard to use. Am i using the wrong board?

also, what snowboarding brands are good? im probably gonna buy one off of craigslist so i wanna feel on what brands are best. thanks guys!

Hey armada and friends. thanks for giving me tips for my first time. got destroyed at cypress and was just wondering a few things. For snowboarding, is there a certain board length thats optimal for your weight and height? I'm 150lbs at 6'0/5'11 and I borrowed my friends 161cm board and thought it was really hard to use. Am i using the wrong board?

also, what snowboarding brands are good? im probably gonna buy one off of craigslist so i wanna feel on what brands are best. thanks guys!

You want a board that is around your chin to nose, however a shorter board is waay easier to learn on.

I ride a wide 155 elan prodigy (I'm 6 feet tall), but that is because I ride quite a lot of park, and the wider board rides alot nicer on the interior powder.

At 6 feet tall, you could easily ride the 161 board no problem with a little practice. However, I'd learn on something as small as a 152, to something as big as a 158.

For board brands, I don't recommend anything too fancy for your first board. If you want something that is quite decent, get a K2 setup. Don't waste your money on a burton setup, it's not worth it whatsoever (to me, the bindings are pretty uncomfortable and make it harder to control carving). 51/50 is also a good brand. Otherwise there's Elan, Ride, Lib tech, DC, or Forum.

You want a board that is around your chin to nose, however a shorter board is waay easier to learn on.

I ride a wide 155 elan prodigy (I'm 6 feet tall), but that is because I ride quite a lot of park, and the wider board rides alot nicer on the interior powder.

At 6 feet tall, you could easily ride the 161 board no problem with a little practice. However, I'd learn on something as small as a 152, to something as big as a 158.

For board brands, I don't recommend anything too fancy for your first board. If you want something that is quite decent, get a K2 setup. Don't waste your money on a burton setup, it's not worth it whatsoever (to me, the bindings are pretty uncomfortable and make it harder to control carving). 51/50 is also a good brand. Otherwise there's Elan, Ride, Lib tech, DC, or Forum.

Thanks alot for the reponse. Which you recommend any websites that sell snowboards for cheap? or any website that you like to buy from personally perhaps?

Life is a changing, looking into going to auz for a year come September, than working towards a new goal. I present you the CMH 1 million vertical feet challenge:

by Bob Krysak, Manager, CMH Retail Services

Million%20foot%20suit%202010.JPGCMH has guests from all over the world, some that ski multiple times in a season and many who have been skiing with CMH for over 30 years. When you reach 1 million vertical feet of skiing/riding, which some have done in one season and others in 8-10, you are awarded a two piece suit made by Arcteryx (see photo to the right). There is a bottle of champagne shared by the recipients group, and there is a pin and certificate commemorating the achievement.

On average, 250-350 suits are given out each year, and there are 3,800 guests who have from 1 million to 20 million vertical feet. In some weeks in a lodge there will be 11-12 suits awarded in high season. So we make sure we are well stocked with champagne!

The idea of giving something to commemorate the million foot achievement came in early 1971-1972 from Chip Fisher who was at the time the manager of Head Ski Canada. His suggestion was an elegant blazer. We had some blazers made and awarded a few, but found that proper sizing and fit were a problem and people did not find them particularly useful.

When Andre Noel took over from Chip (1974) he suggested we do a ski jacket. This was made by HCC (Henri Charles Colsonet) from Geneva. The jacket had a “diaper” that would go under the crotch to keep the snow from coming up inside the jacket. This soon evolved into the first powder suit.

Since the early beginnings of the suit from HCC we have had suits from Far West, Ditrani (see image below), Bogner, Marmot and now Arcteryx.

Forte%20MF%20Suit%201987.jpgThe suit is a badge of honor, and in many cases a conversation opener. Many times I have been in an airport or at a ski resort and have seen someone wearing the suit. It opens up the chance to ask if the skier/rider has been to CMH, and great stories and memories are shared. Today we have some guests that are in their 80’s who still come skiing with us and still have the sparkle in their eyes as they recount the many runs shared with family and friends.

As Hans Gmoser, founder of CMH said:

“A person should have wings to carry them where their dreams go, but sometimes a pair of skis makes a good substitute”

I hope you have a chance to realize your dreams at one of our Lodges. And if you already have, we'd love it if you'd share your story here!

Photos:

Neos AR - the CMH Million Foot Suit jacket, circa 2010

CMH Heli-Ski guests Paul Dudzinski and Reb Forte receive their Million Foot suits together at the Bobbie Burns Lodge, April 13, 1987. Photo by Mark Dudzinski supplied by Reb Forte.

Read more: http://blog.canadian...t#ixzz2DJHD321D

Tis expensive but something unlike anything else!

Anyone been up to Cypress lately? I just wanna know how the snow is since I'd rather wait if it's still icy.

I've been up. Its great in some place and then its icy in others. I recommend going up on the weekend when they're expected to get a dump of snow, the weather for the next two days don't look good.

Also in other news Cypress is opening night skiing until 10pm on this Friday!! :towel:

Archived