The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Snowboard & Ski Thread

Armada

Hey armada and friends. thanks for giving me tips for my first time. got destroyed at cypress and was just wondering a few things. For snowboarding, is there a certain board length thats optimal for your weight and height? I'm 150lbs at 6'0/5'11 and I borrowed my friends 161cm board and thought it was really hard to use. Am i using the wrong board?

also, what snowboarding brands are good? im probably gonna buy one off of craigslist so i wanna feel on what brands are best. thanks guys!

Read reviews on individual boards.

Another option I'm about to try for buying a board is online ordering. Just put in an order for a board, boots, and goggles being shipped to my buddy's PO Box in the States through these guys:

http://www.evo.com/

Way cheaper than buying locally. I'll let you all know how it works out with duty etc...

As for board length, there are a lot of variables. Different models of boards will be easier to control at different lengths. It also depends on individual strength, experience, weight, height, and what you plan on doing with the board. The board up to your nose/chin/forehead (depending on who you ask) is really just a guideline and you have to figure it out for yourself.

General rules:

If you are a beginner, skinny, have low leg strength, and want to do park/tricks go shorter.

If you are more experienced, heavy/strong for your height, and want to ride fast down the mountain go longer.

Also, some boards are stiffer than others, and they all come in different shapes. This will also influence how long of a board you want.

If you're tall and thin, you may run into the issue where your feet are too wide for a board for someone your weight. In which case, you'll also have to look into the added factor of board width and go for a "wide" board.

As far as brands, all the major manufacturers make pretty descent boards these days. The technology really jumped forward 4-5 years ago, but the changes haven't been drastic since then. So I'd look into getting a 2011 or 2012 board if you are buying new. Snowboard stuff that is 1-2 years old can usually be found new for 50+% off.

Right on man! ^

I get all my stuff from evo!

Spent $1500 through them and sent all my stuff to my dads place in California (Free shipping in the US). If you can't order to an American address and don't want to pay Canadian duties then you can always drive down to Seattle and pick up your order there for free.

Best site for ski and snowboard stuff hands down.

Another one that I've heard is good is Backcountry

Right on man! ^

I get all my stuff from evo!

Spent $1500 through them and sent all my stuff to my dads place in California (Free shipping in the US). If you can't order to an American address and don't want to pay Canadian duties then you can always drive down to Seattle and pick up your order there for free.

Best site for ski and snowboard stuff hands down.

Another one that I've heard is good is Backcountry

Do you know if they also offer last year's stuff from their clearance section in store as well? Just bought a pair of 2012 Burton Rider boots from them online for a huge discount. I'd love to be able to try on stuff in store in the future too though.

Do you know if they also offer last year's stuff from their clearance section in store as well? Just bought a pair of 2012 Burton Rider boots from them online for a huge discount. I'd love to be able to try on stuff in store in the future too though.

I've never been to the store itself before but I believe they have everything, they must be just like the Boardroom how the Boardroom (Van) has a clearance store or clearance floor (North Van) full of last years stuff.

Not to mention EVO just opened their brand new store and it is massive, plus it has some killer graphics on the outside.

560796_10151159012108505_923229409_n.jpg

EVO has inspired me to hopefully open my own shop one day in the future.

Another amazing video released by Abe Kislevitz testing out the New GoPro Hero 3

Riding the slopes of New Zealand with Caleb Farro, Tom Wallisch and Eric Willett.

These are the clips in the brand new GoPro Hero 3 video.

This season has been some what slow so far at least for the locals and whistler.

I know its early December but the weather has been quite warm. For instance, I went up to Cypress today and even though there was a dump of 32cm's mid mountain last night, some of the runs were still muddy, plus the weather was extremely wet so I didn't stay long. Not my favorite riding weather but as we progress I'll be going back to 3-4 times a week again.

But the future forecast looks great for the pacific coast (Whistler, Locals, etc..)

Not sure how the interior is doing but kicking horse looks great from what I've seen.

This season has been some what slow so far at least for the locals and whistler.

I know its early December but the weather has been quite warm. For instance, I went up to Cypress today and even though there was a dump of 32cm's mid mountain last night, some of the runs were still muddy, plus the weather was extremely wet so I didn't stay long. Not my favorite riding weather but as we progress I'll be going back to 3-4 times a week again.

But the future forecast looks great for the pacific coast (Whistler, Locals, etc..)

Not sure how the interior is doing but kicking horse looks great from what I've seen.

I haven't had a chance to go yet but my good friend says that Blackcomb has been FANTASTIC.

I haven't had a chance to go yet but my good friend says that Blackcomb has been FANTASTIC.

It was great but it was packed when we went probably having to do with only 3 chairlifts open two Sundays ago. Snow conditions were awesome, still can't ride down to the village and Jager fell off the chairlift as we were going up^ :lol:

In other news! Cypress Mountain is officially opening for night riding tonight! Absolutely stoked since that means I can just go up right after work till 10 now.

7:00 AM Update: It's still snowing heavily and the plows are very busy clearing snow in the Parking Lots and down the highway - keep it coming! Night Skiing and Riding tonight and don't forget our 2 Bonus Hours of Skiing and Riding everyday starting at 2:00 PM and 5:00 PM.

Thursday Early Update: Monster News! It's currently really dumping snow and we already have about 11 cm on the ground top to bottom early this morning. Keep in touch later this morning as we tally up more fresh snow!

The Grooming Crew are busy packing, pushing and laying down corduroy so the conditions should be fresh snow on packed powder on most Runs at start-up.

We're open 9 AM to 10 PM today at Western Canada's Biggest Night Skiing and Riding and we're scheduled to have 4 Chailifts open again today including our 2 High Speed Quads servicing 2 Mountain Faces with a lot of great terrain.

http://cypressmountain.com/

It was great but it was packed when we went. Snow conditions were awesome, still can't ride down to the village and Jager fell off the chairlift as we were going up^ :lol:

I'm new to this thread lol

You and Jagermiester went skiing togeher?

And I want to get into snowboarding, I'm already a good skiier (well all blues and some blacks) and I just wanted to know what its like

Also I think I want to go to Whistler this winter break, best mountain evar, though not sure I can afford it

I'm new to this thread lol

You and Jagermiester went skiing togeher?

And I want to get into snowboarding, I'm already a good skiier (well all blues and some blacks) and I just wanted to know what its like

Also I think I want to go to Whistler this winter break, best mountain evar, though not sure I can afford it

I *believe* they are roommates.

first trip up to biggie today! 77cms in the village, 117ish alpine, but I was riding through a foot deep of pow all day! soo sick. no lines either! of course its a thursday, and exam month lol.

sorry for the quality, facebook butchered the quality when I uploaded it from my phone

391961_10151140738202967_406450642_n.jpg

first trip up to biggie today! 77cms in the village, 117ish alpine, but I was riding through a foot deep of pow all day! soo sick. no lines either! of course its a thursday, and exam month lol.

sorry for the quality, facebook butchered the quality when I uploaded it from my phone

391961_10151140738202967_406450642_n.jpg

Looks great, been up twice but the village hadn't had any snow yet.

Went up to Cypress for the first session of night skiing. Had some phenomenal conditions, snowed 16cm's this morning and cleared up when I got there at 4pm.

614609_10150330767504977_1892367185_o.jpg

6 times up so far, 4 at Cypress, 2 at Whistler. 44 more to go.

Looks great, been up twice but the village hadn't had any snow yet.

Yeah they got about 2 and a half inches while we were there, the powder was amazing today. No lines or anything either, it was a perfect day! Other than the fog that rolled in at 12 and that was no fun. They're at about a 120 cm base but you'd think they had 200 cms. There's no rocks or anything visible, and man there are some fun drops! Not enough snow to fill in all the bumps and whatnot.

Cypress looks pretty sick!

40% OFF FOR STUDENTS TODAY!!! http://cypressmountain.com/daily-deals

So stoked, I'm going up for my first day of the season later for night ski.

Right on man. Conditions were perfect yesterday and they were pumping out more snow with the snow makers. Also the Acro Bag World Tour is on today. So check out the landing pad from 12 to 4pm today.

Archived