The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Snowboard & Ski Thread

Armada

Awesome, gonna buy some wax and that skigo iron.

Any tips on waxing?

Yes I do.

First off - I recommend to get that Iron you mentioned, and also get the Dakine Tune Kit:

Dakine_Tune_Kit_LG.jpg

It has everything you need including a scrapper, buffer, file, edge tuner, epoxy. It syas the retail is $75, but I found mine for $39.99.

As ratiocinator said - there is different wax colours based on tempature:

Yellow

Yellow is a warm temperature wax for snow temperatures between 0 degrees Celsius and minus-4 degrees Celsius (32 degrees Fahrenheit and 25 degrees Fahrenheit). Yellow waxes are ideal for spring skiing on velvet corn snow, and skiing in wet, heavy snow, because they help to push the melt layer of water out of the way and leave a thin layer of water for the ski to glide on.

Red

Red wax is for snow temperatures of minus-4 degrees Celsius to minus-10 degrees Celsius (25 degrees Fahrenheit and 18 degrees Fahrenheit). Red wax is a good utility wax for most conditions skiers will encounter in the United States.

Blue

Blue wax is for temperatures between minus-10 degrees Celsius and minus-25 degrees Celsius (18 degrees Fahrenheit and minus-22 degrees Fahrenheit). If you are not waxing your skis very often and ski in places such as Wyoming, Montana, New Hampshire, Maine and northern New York, blue wax is best to apply because temperatures that are colder than the snow will not affect you as much as applying waxes for snow temperatures warmer than you are skiing on.

Moly Race Wax

Moly Race Wax is designed for artificial snow, or older snow, that racers typically ski on, and for temperatures between minus-10 degrees Celsius and minus-4 degrees Celsisus (14 degrees Fahrenheit and 25 degrees Fahrenheit)

Personally - I have a orange and red bar as I usually only ride Sun Peaks, Big White and Whistler. But if you intend on riding locals (Cypress, Grouse and Seymour)-- then I recommend having a yellow as well.

When doing the wax - ensure to have an even spread throughout the entire board, allow to dry, then ensure to scrap off as much as you can.

Having tonnes of wax will not make it better, it just means you have to scrap more off. Just need to ensure that you have a layer that is sitting on top, as that means that enough has been 'soaked' into the board.

When done scrapping off the excess - use the buffer to create a smooth service. You want to ensure that with the buffer, you are going tip to tail, creating smooth lines in the wax. This allows the snow to bead off your board, and 'leave' out the back - this ensures that you will get the best results from the wax.

Right on guys. I'll try that out in the near future, maybe I'll charge my friends a bit to do it for them :lol:

Seeing that Sport Chek charges $20 for a wax (*I think-- haven't paid for one ever :rolleyes: ) -- charge your friends $10 ;)

Once you get good - you can get through 10-15 boards in 2 hours..... wax them all at the same time, then by the time you finish the last one, the first one will be dry, you can then you scrap and buff them all.

Seeing that Sport Chek charges $20 for a wax (*I think-- haven't paid for one ever :rolleyes: ) -- charge your friends $10 ;)

Once you get good - you can get through 10-15 boards in 2 hours..... wax them all at the same time, then by the time you finish the last one, the first one will be dry, you can then you scrap and buff them all.

Sportschek is the last place I'd get my ski repairs/wax/mounting or advice for ski gear..

I'd much rather go to a snowboard/ski shop for that sort of thing, now all we need is snow.

^For sure.

Good news fellow riders!

Whistler just got their first snow of the season and it will be constant snow from the midway up to the peak from today onwards until Thursday. (Still raining in the village and base)

Whistler Blackcomb@WhistlerBlckcmb

Believe it! RT @ashleywhetung: First snow of the season on @WhistlerBlckcmb today. Oh my god, its actually happening! #letitsnow

screen-capture_zpsfd9da162.png

“Superheroes of Stoke”

SHOSlogo-540x450.jpg

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CRESTED BUTTE, Colorado (July 31, 2012) – Matchstick Productions, the most award-winning ski movie company in history, today proudly releases the trailer for its 2012 feature film, “SUPERHEROES OF STOKE.” The cinematic, action-packed trailer is available to view now at http://www.skimovie.com.

This year marked the 20th anniversary of MSP’s first ski film, “Soul Sessions & Epic Impressions,” and provided an opportunity to look back at two decades of ski films and the evolution of the sport. “We never knew we’d make it this far,” says executive producer Murray Wais, “so when we realized that this new film would represent a milestone in MSP’s history we decided to relate where we’ve been to where we are now. Skiing has always meant everything to us, and we’re all living in a really exciting era for the sport. This movie captures that excitement and puts it on display courtesy of the latest filmmaking equipment available.”

“SUPERHEROES OF STOKE” honors the heroes who have made the sport of freeskiing what it is today and pays tribute to the heroes who gave their lives for what they loved. Throughout 2012, MSP’s film crews relentlessly traveled the globe in search of the moments that would define the cutting-edge of what is possible on skis. Highlights from 19 years worth of archived material have been edited amidst stunning new HD footage to demonstrate how far the athletes have progressed and how far boundaries have been pushed.

Shot in remarkable 4K resolution and utilizing the latest camera technology, “SUPERHEROES OF STOKE” features an all-star cast of heroes: Richard Permin, Mark Abma, James Heim, Sean Pettit, Jacob Wester, Cody Townsend, Ingrid Backstrom, Russ Henshaw, Eric Hjorleifson, Michelle Parker, PK Hunder, Riley Leboe, Gus Kenworthy, Logan Pehota, Sam Anthamatten, Leo Ahrens, and Aidan Sheahan. Also featuring legendary cameos from earlier generations of the MSP universe: Shane McConkey, Seth Morrison, Wendy Fisher, JP Auclair, Mike Douglas, CR Johnson, Tanner Hall, Eric Pollard, Hugo Harrisson, Sarah Burke, and many more.

This spectacular new film will visit over 150 locations around the world during the 2012 MSP Movie Tour, which begins with the world premiere in Seattle, WA on September 15th. The full-length digital version of “SUPERHEROES OF STOKE” will be available to download on iTunes in October, and DVD/Blu-ray copies can be pre-ordered now. Additional information about the tour, iTunes release, and DVD/Blu-ray pre-orders can be found by visiting http://www.skimovie.com.

MSP would like to thank all of their partners for the ongoing support and dedication: Mountain Hardwear, Subaru, Red Bull, Salomon, Powder Magazine, and Contour.

ABOUT MATCHSTICK PRODUCTIONS: MSP is the leader in action sport filmmaking. The team at MSP works with the best athletes in the world in the most exotic locations in order to capture compelling images in action sports. Their ultra progressive camera techniques, editing, and production value have earned them many prestigious awards, including 2007 and 2008 Emmy nominations and an unprecedented seven “Movie of the Year” honors awarded at the Powder Video Awards

Matchstick <3.

I need to watch Superheroes of Stoke, Sunny (Level 1), and Dream Factory(TGR) still.

Seasons soooo close!

And in other news. GoPro just released the GoPro HD Hero 3 tonight!!

go-pro-hdtv-hero-3-0.jpg?20121017-053349

GoPro has unveiled the latest in its line of Hero cameras, the Hero3, which will be available in three flavours: Black, Silver and White.

Pocket-lint was at the Hero3 launch in San Francisco, California, to see GoPro's CEO Nick Woodman announce the product, which included an impressive promo video full of Hero3 snippets.

It's 30 per cent smaller and 25 per cent lighter than its predecessor - making it a mere 20mm thick, or thin, depending on which way you look at it - and all models will come with built-in Wi-Fi as standard.

The flagship Black version is capable of 4K video capture at 15 frames per second, as well as 2.7K at 30fps and 1080p at 60fps which will be awesome for half speed playback glorious Full HD.

The Hero3 will benefit from a sharper lens, low light performance claimed to be twice that of its Hero2 predecessor, and has improved sound that is said to not only be better for "natural" audio, such as conversations, but also benefits from an improved algorithm to stifle wind noise at fast speeds.

The Hero3 Black will come with the Wi-Fi remote included as standard, which gives access to control of up to 50 GoPro Wi-Fi enabled cameras at up to 600 feet. Impressive stuff.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/48019/go-pro-hdtv-hero-3

we charge $15 for an iron hot wax, which is the best choice as it allows the wax to properly penetrate the base and will last longer. personally at my shop I buy and use a Kuu graphite wax that has a huge temperature range and lasts longer than traditional waxes. I use it for hand iron waxes and on the belt wax machine ($7). The belt wax is fast and on the spot, but it wont last as long. A hand iron wax needs to sit at least an hour or two before you scrape and buff, but we arent that busy at my location at marine and byrne road, so for the most part we have same day turnaround...if youre ever in a pinch just call and ask and I can hook you up. Just ask for Mark.

Sportschek is the last place I'd get my ski repairs/wax/mounting or advice for ski gear..

I'd much rather go to a snowboard/ski shop for that sort of thing, now all we need is snow.

I can see how sport chek can be hit and miss for expert advice, but ive been in the snowsports industry for 15+ years and can tell you we have some really great shops, service shops and guys that know their crap. frankly, i could be a ski snob all i want, but we arent all dicks and their are some great dudes at sport cheks. Ive been to a ton of super lame small shops in my life where guys are complete dicks blowing it out their asses. I work at sport chek cause I get to help a ton more people.

Love that scene from All I Can, nothing like some Urban in Trail. BC.

JP is my inspiration. He can ride anything, big mountain, powder, park, and urban. One of the owners of my favorite ski brand, Armada.

Love that scene from All I Can, nothing like some Urban in Trail. BC.

JP is my inspiration. He can ride anything, big mountain, powder, park, and urban. One of the owners of my favorite ski brand, Armada.

You like Armada? I never would have guessed.

In other news, the countdown to opening on the local mountains has begun.

If all goes well, they could be open in 1 month or less!

we charge $15 for an iron hot wax, which is the best choice as it allows the wax to properly penetrate the base and will last longer. personally at my shop I buy and use a Kuu graphite wax that has a huge temperature range and lasts longer than traditional waxes. I use it for hand iron waxes and on the belt wax machine ($7). The belt wax is fast and on the spot, but it wont last as long. A hand iron wax needs to sit at least an hour or two before you scrape and buff, but we arent that busy at my location at marine and byrne road, so for the most part we have same day turnaround...if youre ever in a pinch just call and ask and I can hook you up. Just ask for Mark.

I guessed on the price, as I have never paid for one, and the prices weren't listed on the website.

I will agree that belt waxing is a waste of time and money - same with the 'pocket' liquid wax, like this:

SA31.jpg

I have one --- but really only for when I am in a pinch. But I do find I mostly just give it to friends to use.

So I've been thinking I should this gorgeous Oakley Originate jacket:

BAh7CWkKIgwzNjh4NTI3aQtsKwexZg1QaQdpC2kIaQNgxAI.jpg?class=zoomer-img-main+OneLinkNoTx&mpdistrans=alt

The thing fits like a dream, and I love the way it looks.

However, it costs $349, and I just feel like the difference between it and some other $200 jackets doesn't quite justify the price difference. Of course it's hard to make that judgement without actually wearing them up on the mountain where its -15c and I'm covered in snow.

So, just a question for those of you who have splurged on jackets, do you find that it's worth it?

BAh7CWkKIgwzNjh4NTI3aQtsKwexZg1QaQdpC2kIaQNgxAI.jpg?class=zoomer-img-main+OneLinkNoTx&mpdistrans=alt

However, it costs $349, and I just feel like the difference between it and some other $200 jackets doesn't quite justify the price difference. Of course it's hard to make that judgement without actually wearing them up on the mountain where its -15c and I'm covered in snow.

So, just a question for those of you who have splurged on jackets, do you find that it's worth it?

ORIGINATE JACKET

A rebel-Rasta-ripper with a go-for-broke attitude, Tanner Hall inspired this Pro Rider Series innovation. It’s the ORIGINATE JACKET and it has big vents up front to let him release excess heat when backcountry opportunities make him slog up slopes. When he’s not wearing the hood, magnets hold it out of the way. This loose-fit performance shell has a 10K/10K combo of waterproofing and breathability, along with a fixed storm skirt. The look is smooth, and the back has a logo that lets the world know Tanner is a proud member of the Oakley family

When i saw the rastafarian colours i knew it was one of tanner's jackets :lol:

Personally - my number one annoyance when snowboarder is feeling cold and wet.

Without knowing which $200 jackets you are suggesting (there is a lot --- so I know what you mean :lol: ) --- the $349 pricepoint is not that bad.

I used to go 'cheaper' and get Ripzone jackets in the $200 range - I then splurged on a $399.99 Quiksilver jacket a few years ago, and I noticed a huge difference in quality and durability.

Honestly - in my opinion - when you pay a little more for the better brands, you get a much better quality product.

I just bought a Burton Jacket ( at the Burton Outlet in Orlando, FL :lol: -- what a place to get a winter jacket) -- and again, noticed a HUGE difference in quality.

Looking specifically at that jacket - it has the 10,000 mm waterproof rating, and 10k breathability. Some cheaper jackets can claim that they will have 15k/10k... but you will find that the Oakley waterproof will actually be better, and last much longer.

Archived