403 replies to this topic

#241 ashbury

ashbury

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:38 PM

I'm really hating all you BC guys right now, my "local" hill has had two runs open with no natural snow for almost three weeks now.

#242 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,467 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

I'm really hating all you BC guys right now, my "local" hill has had two runs open with no natural snow for almost three weeks now.

There isn't much open here yet.

But they are setting up quite nicely.
Posted Image

#243 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,299 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:49 PM

Its been coming up 3 years since I was last there. Some of my best memories for life will be the time of the 2010 Olympics and Paralympics!!!

I hope you have a great days riding mate :)

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#244 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,467 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:07 PM

Just a few of my favorites here:

Sail - Awolnation
Lonely Boy - Black Eyed Peas
Simple & Plain - Fresh Breath Committe
Radioactive - Imagine Dragons
Rock And Roll - Led Zeppelin
Punching In A Dream - Naked And The Famous

Naked and the Famous, Imagine Dragons and Black Keys - all EXCELLENT choices.

I have those - mixed in with Of Montreal, Incubus, Mother-Mother, Bloc Party, Muse and 30 Seconds to Mars.
Posted Image

#245 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,115 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:27 PM

Naked and the Famous, Imagine Dragons and Black Keys - all EXCELLENT choices.

I have those - mixed in with Of Montreal, Incubus, Mother-Mother, Bloc Party, Muse and 30 Seconds to Mars.

Phenomenal choice of music. Great stuff to listen to on the slopes.

I hope you have a great days riding mate :)

Once summer roles around here you'll be the one telling us about what you're riding down there :lol:

By the way how is Mount Hotham down there during the winter? Looks fairly big.

We're getting there. Depends on which mountain in BC. Some are open, some only have a few runs open and some are opening fully soon. Stoked!

Edited by Armada, 21 November 2012 - 06:30 PM.

Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#246 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,115 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:45 PM

Best youtube news of the day.

Abe Kislevtiz (GoPro legend) released another amazing video today with his USC Ski team. Fantastic editing as usual :o

https://www.youtube....h?v=Jj2fjQHzXDM

Edit: For some reason video will not embed in this post.

Edited by Armada, 21 November 2012 - 08:46 PM.

Posted Image

#247 schlaBAM

schlaBAM

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:31 AM

not sure how many of you are from the island, but this is a photo from Mount Washington today. They're just getting dumps of snow, pretty incredible (sorry for the huge photo)

Posted Image

Posted Image

XBL: canucks4lyfe

#248 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,299 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:45 AM

Best youtube news of the day.

Abe Kislevtiz (GoPro legend) released another amazing video today with his USC Ski team. Fantastic editing as usual :o

https://www.youtube....h?v=Jj2fjQHzXDM

Edit: For some reason video will not embed in this post.

Mt. Hotam is a good training ground for big mountain skiing , we lack the vertical of places like blackcomb , but the terrain is challenging to ski fast , and the hiking around the resort is epic

Posted Image

And 5 hours hike away is Mt .feathertop , Summit 1960 m, on a good year snowline is at 1200

Posted Image

Couple of shutes , Hellfire and avelanche , you fall you die .

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#249 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,115 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:01 PM

Mt. Hotam is a good training ground for big mountain skiing , we lack the vertical of places like blackcomb , but the terrain is challenging to ski fast , and the hiking around the resort is epic

Posted Image

And 5 hours hike away is Mt .feathertop , Summit 1960 m, on a good year snowline is at 1200

Posted Image

Couple of shutes , Hellfire and avelanche , you fall you die .

Looks great. Very different from what I normally see. Must be the trees.

How longs the season?

Edited by Armada, 22 November 2012 - 05:04 PM.

Posted Image

#250 guzzler17

guzzler17

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:34 PM

Anyone got suggestions for reasonably priced helmets?

#251 schlaBAM

schlaBAM

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:44 AM

Anyone got suggestions for reasonably priced helmets?

I wear something similar to the K2 rant (http://k2skis.com/helmets/rant-1213), however it depends on what kind of style skier/boarder you are, and what kind of helmet you like. I'd recommend going into a ski shop and having a look as most of them generally will have a huge selection and variation of helmets.

Posted Image

#252 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,299 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:10 AM

Looks great. Very different from what I normally see. Must be the trees.

How longs the season?

Snow Charts

Posted Image

Posted Image

2000 was an epic season , probably 60 odd powder days .

2006 was crap ,rode village loop ALL season

last season was solid , rode a 60 cm storm day that was some of the lightest , driest snow i have ridden in this country :)

Marjane Satrapi

Aldous Huxley.

#253 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,115 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:07 AM

Right on! Last season looked almost as great as 2000 ^ Pray for a dump for next season.

On a side note for any of the snowboarders out there. Torstein Horgmo is my favorite pro snowboarder. He's a hilarious guy and this video just shows his character, just looks like a good time.

Edited by Armada, 24 November 2012 - 12:07 AM.

Posted Image

#254 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:00 PM

Hey armada and friends. thanks for giving me tips for my first time. got destroyed at cypress and was just wondering a few things. For snowboarding, is there a certain board length thats optimal for your weight and height? I'm 150lbs at 6'0/5'11 and I borrowed my friends 161cm board and thought it was really hard to use. Am i using the wrong board?

also, what snowboarding brands are good? im probably gonna buy one off of craigslist so i wanna feel on what brands are best. thanks guys!

#255 schlaBAM

schlaBAM

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:39 PM

Hey armada and friends. thanks for giving me tips for my first time. got destroyed at cypress and was just wondering a few things. For snowboarding, is there a certain board length thats optimal for your weight and height? I'm 150lbs at 6'0/5'11 and I borrowed my friends 161cm board and thought it was really hard to use. Am i using the wrong board?

also, what snowboarding brands are good? im probably gonna buy one off of craigslist so i wanna feel on what brands are best. thanks guys!

You want a board that is around your chin to nose, however a shorter board is waay easier to learn on.
I ride a wide 155 elan prodigy (I'm 6 feet tall), but that is because I ride quite a lot of park, and the wider board rides alot nicer on the interior powder.

At 6 feet tall, you could easily ride the 161 board no problem with a little practice. However, I'd learn on something as small as a 152, to something as big as a 158.
For board brands, I don't recommend anything too fancy for your first board. If you want something that is quite decent, get a K2 setup. Don't waste your money on a burton setup, it's not worth it whatsoever (to me, the bindings are pretty uncomfortable and make it harder to control carving). 51/50 is also a good brand. Otherwise there's Elan, Ride, Lib tech, DC, or Forum.

Edited by schlaBAM, 25 November 2012 - 06:39 PM.

Posted Image

#256 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:02 PM

You want a board that is around your chin to nose, however a shorter board is waay easier to learn on.
I ride a wide 155 elan prodigy (I'm 6 feet tall), but that is because I ride quite a lot of park, and the wider board rides alot nicer on the interior powder.

At 6 feet tall, you could easily ride the 161 board no problem with a little practice. However, I'd learn on something as small as a 152, to something as big as a 158.
For board brands, I don't recommend anything too fancy for your first board. If you want something that is quite decent, get a K2 setup. Don't waste your money on a burton setup, it's not worth it whatsoever (to me, the bindings are pretty uncomfortable and make it harder to control carving). 51/50 is also a good brand. Otherwise there's Elan, Ride, Lib tech, DC, or Forum.

Thanks alot for the reponse. Which you recommend any websites that sell snowboards for cheap? or any website that you like to buy from personally perhaps?

#257 Mountain Man

Mountain Man

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:05 AM

Life is a changing, looking into going to auz for a year come September, than working towards a new goal. I present you the CMH 1 million vertical feet challenge:

by Bob Krysak, Manager, CMH Retail Services
Posted ImageCMH has guests from all over the world, some that ski multiple times in a season and many who have been skiing with CMH for over 30 years. When you reach 1 million vertical feet of skiing/riding, which some have done in one season and others in 8-10, you are awarded a two piece suit made by Arcteryx (see photo to the right). There is a bottle of champagne shared by the recipients group, and there is a pin and certificate commemorating the achievement.
On average, 250-350 suits are given out each year, and there are 3,800 guests who have from 1 million to 20 million vertical feet. In some weeks in a lodge there will be 11-12 suits awarded in high season. So we make sure we are well stocked with champagne!
The idea of giving something to commemorate the million foot achievement came in early 1971-1972 from Chip Fisher who was at the time the manager of Head Ski Canada. His suggestion was an elegant blazer. We had some blazers made and awarded a few, but found that proper sizing and fit were a problem and people did not find them particularly useful.
When Andre Noel took over from Chip (1974) he suggested we do a ski jacket. This was made by HCC (Henri Charles Colsonet) from Geneva. The jacket had a “diaper” that would go under the crotch to keep the snow from coming up inside the jacket. This soon evolved into the first powder suit.
Since the early beginnings of the suit from HCC we have had suits from Far West, Ditrani (see image below), Bogner, Marmot and now Arcteryx.
Posted ImageThe suit is a badge of honor, and in many cases a conversation opener. Many times I have been in an airport or at a ski resort and have seen someone wearing the suit. It opens up the chance to ask if the skier/rider has been to CMH, and great stories and memories are shared. Today we have some guests that are in their 80’s who still come skiing with us and still have the sparkle in their eyes as they recount the many runs shared with family and friends.

As Hans Gmoser, founder of CMH said:
“A person should have wings to carry them where their dreams go, but sometimes a pair of skis makes a good substitute”
I hope you have a chance to realize your dreams at one of our Lodges. And if you already have, we'd love it if you'd share your story here!
Photos:
Neos AR - the CMH Million Foot Suit jacket, circa 2010
CMH Heli-Ski guests Paul Dudzinski and Reb Forte receive their Million Foot suits together at the Bobbie Burns Lodge, April 13, 1987. Photo by Mark Dudzinski supplied by Reb Forte.

Read more: http://blog.canadian...t#ixzz2DJHD321D

Tis expensive but something unlike anything else!
virtus junxit mors non separabit.

Hockey season must be back on, the crazies are coming out again....

#258 Mountain Man

Mountain Man

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:05 AM

Double Post.

Edited by Mountain Man, 26 November 2012 - 02:54 AM.

virtus junxit mors non separabit.

Hockey season must be back on, the crazies are coming out again....

#259 Butters Stoch

Butters Stoch

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:19 PM

Anyone been up to Cypress lately? I just wanna know how the snow is since I'd rather wait if it's still icy.

sig by Malkin71

#260 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,115 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

Anyone been up to Cypress lately? I just wanna know how the snow is since I'd rather wait if it's still icy.

I've been up. Its great in some place and then its icy in others. I recommend going up on the weekend when they're expected to get a dump of snow, the weather for the next two days don't look good.

Also in other news Cypress is opening night skiing until 10pm on this Friday!! :towel:
Posted Image

#261 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

Read reviews on individual boards.

Another option I'm about to try for buying a board is online ordering. Just put in an order for a board, boots, and goggles being shipped to my buddy's PO Box in the States through these guys:

http://www.evo.com/

Way cheaper than buying locally. I'll let you all know how it works out with duty etc...

As for board length, there are a lot of variables. Different models of boards will be easier to control at different lengths. It also depends on individual strength, experience, weight, height, and what you plan on doing with the board. The board up to your nose/chin/forehead (depending on who you ask) is really just a guideline and you have to figure it out for yourself.

General rules:

If you are a beginner, skinny, have low leg strength, and want to do park/tricks go shorter.

If you are more experienced, heavy/strong for your height, and want to ride fast down the mountain go longer.

Also, some boards are stiffer than others, and they all come in different shapes. This will also influence how long of a board you want.

If you're tall and thin, you may run into the issue where your feet are too wide for a board for someone your weight. In which case, you'll also have to look into the added factor of board width and go for a "wide" board.

As far as brands, all the major manufacturers make pretty descent boards these days. The technology really jumped forward 4-5 years ago, but the changes haven't been drastic since then. So I'd look into getting a 2011 or 2012 board if you are buying new. Snowboard stuff that is 1-2 years old can usually be found new for 50+% off.

#262 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,115 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

Right on man! ^

I get all my stuff from evo!

Spent $1500 through them and sent all my stuff to my dads place in California (Free shipping in the US). If you can't order to an American address and don't want to pay Canadian duties then you can always drive down to Seattle and pick up your order there for free.

Best site for ski and snowboard stuff hands down.

Another one that I've heard is good is Backcountry

Edited by Armada, 27 November 2012 - 05:06 PM.

Posted Image

#263 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

Right on man! ^

I get all my stuff from evo!

Spent $1500 through them and sent all my stuff to my dads place in California (Free shipping in the US). If you can't order to an American address and don't want to pay Canadian duties then you can always drive down to Seattle and pick up your order there for free.

Best site for ski and snowboard stuff hands down.

Another one that I've heard is good is Backcountry

Do you know if they also offer last year's stuff from their clearance section in store as well? Just bought a pair of 2012 Burton Rider boots from them online for a huge discount. I'd love to be able to try on stuff in store in the future too though.

#264 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,115 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:31 PM

Do you know if they also offer last year's stuff from their clearance section in store as well? Just bought a pair of 2012 Burton Rider boots from them online for a huge discount. I'd love to be able to try on stuff in store in the future too though.

I've never been to the store itself before but I believe they have everything, they must be just like the Boardroom how the Boardroom (Van) has a clearance store or clearance floor (North Van) full of last years stuff.

Not to mention EVO just opened their brand new store and it is massive, plus it has some killer graphics on the outside.

Posted Image

EVO has inspired me to hopefully open my own shop one day in the future.

Edited by Armada, 28 November 2012 - 06:33 PM.

Posted Image

#265 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,115 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

Another amazing video released by Abe Kislevitz testing out the New GoPro Hero 3

Riding the slopes of New Zealand with Caleb Farro, Tom Wallisch and Eric Willett.

These are the clips in the brand new GoPro Hero 3 video.

Edited by Armada, 29 November 2012 - 01:43 PM.

Posted Image

#266 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,115 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:40 AM

This season has been some what slow so far at least for the locals and whistler.

I know its early December but the weather has been quite warm. For instance, I went up to Cypress today and even though there was a dump of 32cm's mid mountain last night, some of the runs were still muddy, plus the weather was extremely wet so I didn't stay long. Not my favorite riding weather but as we progress I'll be going back to 3-4 times a week again.

But the future forecast looks great for the pacific coast (Whistler, Locals, etc..)

Not sure how the interior is doing but kicking horse looks great from what I've seen.

Edited by Armada, 03 December 2012 - 12:45 AM.

Posted Image

#267 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:58 AM

not sure how many of you are from the island, but this is a photo from Mount Washington today. They're just getting dumps of snow, pretty incredible (sorry for the huge photo)

Posted Image

Can't wait to get up there!!!!
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#268 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,467 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:21 PM

This season has been some what slow so far at least for the locals and whistler.

I know its early December but the weather has been quite warm. For instance, I went up to Cypress today and even though there was a dump of 32cm's mid mountain last night, some of the runs were still muddy, plus the weather was extremely wet so I didn't stay long. Not my favorite riding weather but as we progress I'll be going back to 3-4 times a week again.

But the future forecast looks great for the pacific coast (Whistler, Locals, etc..)

Not sure how the interior is doing but kicking horse looks great from what I've seen.

I haven't had a chance to go yet but my good friend says that Blackcomb has been FANTASTIC.
Posted Image

#269 Butters Stoch

Butters Stoch

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:51 AM

Anyone here know much about the Ride Machete board? I'm considering buying it for this season but can't make up my mind.

sig by Malkin71

#270 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,206 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:55 AM

Anyone here know much about the Ride Machete board? I'm considering buying it for this season but can't make up my mind.

2 of my friends have one, and they both love it.
It has extremely high customer review ratings as well.

Edited by Jägermeister, 06 December 2012 - 02:56 AM.

Jagermeister.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.