The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Issues when the new Port Mann opens...

Bossy

I hope you idiots talking about Density also realize that half of Surrey is ???? Empty. West of 152nd and South of 80th counts as Surrey in "Density" calculations, so does the nothingness south of HIghway 10. All that land is actually bigger than where everyone who lives in Surrey lives.

Doing total "Density" calculations are dumb. The Bus system here is also trash. 88th is a hell hole, 72nd which isn't meant to take heavy traffic has become an absolute mess. The traffic is so bad people that live close to 88th or 72nd drive all the way down to 64th (which then gets congested) to get east. Going south is fine, but there is literally nothing south, going north on King George/120th/15nd gets worse and worse until it takes you 5 minutes to move 100 meters. You haven't seen traffic until you have seen Surrey at 4:00, complete gridlock. Have you ever driven through newton in rush hour? Lights green, nothing's moving. Maybe work in Langely or Aldergrove then? LOL 64th going west and Fraser are just terrible to drive on in rush hour. 4 Years of University and now 2 years of work dealing with this is too ???? much.

This has to be the worst place in north america for city traffic yet all these taxes put on it's populace haven't done ANYTHING to help it. The roads in this city are too small for the volume that is on them because there is literally no decent public transport. People who work in the city are faced with 35 minute + commutes to drive from 144th to scott road or from delta to king george during traffic time.

So either this city needs Fraser Highway to be an actual highway, double laned and goes across the entirety of Surrey, extended all the way to Nordel (not gonna happen) or instead of just being a cash cow it's treated like a city and given some actual funding for pulblic transport (not gonna happen because of selfish, north of the fraser residents). Good think I'm young enough, have a good enough education and well off enough that I can actually uproot myself easily, sucks for the people with families that are stuck here.

I hope you idiots talking about Density also realize that half of Surrey is ???? Empty. West of 152nd and South of 80th counts as Surrey in "Density" calculations, so does the nothingness south of HIghway 10. All that land is actually bigger than where everyone who lives in Surrey lives.

Doing total "Density" calculations are dumb. The Bus system here is also trash. 88th is a hell hole, 72nd which isn't meant to take heavy traffic has become an absolute mess. The traffic is so bad people that live close to 88th or 72nd drive all the way down to 64th (which then gets congested) to get east. Going south is fine, but there is literally nothing south, going north on King George/120th/15nd gets worse and worse until it takes you 5 minutes to move 100 meters. You haven't seen traffic until you have seen Surrey at 4:00, complete gridlock. Have you ever driven through newton in rush hour? Lights green, nothing's moving. Maybe work in Langely or Aldergrove then? LOL 64th going west and Fraser are just terrible to drive on in rush hour. 4 Years of University and now 2 years of work dealing with this is too ???? much.

This has to be the worst place in north america for city traffic yet all these taxes put on it's populace haven't done ANYTHING to help it. The roads in this city are too small for the volume that is on them because there is literally no decent public transport. People who work in the city are faced with 35 minute + commutes to drive from 144th to scott road or from delta to king george during traffic time.

So either this city needs Fraser Highway to be an actual highway, double laned and goes across the entirety of Surrey, extended all the way to Nordel (not gonna happen) or instead of just being a cash cow it's treated like a city and given some actual funding for pulblic transport (not gonna happen because of selfish, north of the fraser residents). Good think I'm young enough, have a good enough education and well off enough that I can actually uproot myself easily, sucks for the people with families that are stuck here.

Oooh a spelling error on a casual public forum, crucify me. This is such a dumb trend, it doesn't make you look any smarter just makes you look like you have no actual argument.

Anyways, are you one of those people that are commenting on Surrey's transportation without experiencing it? Yeah man, I'm the ignorant one because I pressed the wrong key when I'm typing at 100 wpm.

One of the main purposes of the Millenium line was SFU.

Which you didn't even mention.

Furthermore - it's to service all of the tri-cities, and all of North Burnaby. Without the Millenium line... I would have to take the bus all the way downtown, just to come back to Burnaby on the Expo line. But now, I am able to take the train to Braid, and then get off the skytrain where needed.

The ALR is much larger, there's less density and way fewer people on the other side of it (and less density) than travel to UBC.

You want an express bus to White Rock because you live there, not because it makes any sense.

UBC has at least 3 express lines that serve it that can all run at max capacity and still see pass-bys (and this is with articulated buses every 5 minutes).

Besides, the 345 is just as fast as the 99.

16th ave and 152 st to King George

Driving - 24 minutes, 18.4 km

345 - 42 minutes

Broadway and Commercial to UBC

Driving - 25 minutes, 14.5 km

99 - 48 minutes

It takes less time to go a greater distance that takes the same amount of time to drive. You seem to be complaining about frequency. Can you really run the 345 (or the 321) every 5 minutes and have more than 3 people on each bus?

The density just isn't there to warrant it.

"So either this city needs Fraser Highway to be an actual highway, double laned and goes across the entirety of Surrey, extended all the way to Nordel (not gonna happen) or instead of just being a cash cow it's treated like a city and given some actual funding for pulblic transport (not gonna happen because of selfish, north of the fraser residents)"

Pretty sure saying that doubling fraser highway across the entire city means expanding the roads. His two options really only amount to one if reducing congestion is actually what he wants.

Two meetings ever doesn't seem very regular. But regardless, it's fun to chatter about it. If you had simply given evidence for your claim in the first place this would have all been avoided. I'm not sure if and where you went to school, but typically when one makes a statement as fact, one has to back it up. Or maybe you're rocking the Republican mantra of it just 'feels' right lol.

Also, a station at 176th? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Actually the Millenium Line hasn't shown that at all, it's such a waste of a line. And the Canada Line route was already running through a fairly dense corridor in the most dense city in the lower mainland.

I actually support extending Skytrain in Surrey but I'm not sure if it'll work. I think cheap property rates will always trump living close to transit for those south of the Fraser, especially for the majority residents who are so damn attached to their cars.

When it's the only viable and reliable option you're forced to be attached. I DREAM of being able to use transit to get to work! Do you really think the people caught in the daily traffic jams actually enjoy it?

As for whether or not skytrain would work south of the fraser get on the train at King George one day. It's actually pretty full from the first stop on!

Check the times on the buses going south in the afternoon. It's over an hour to get from skytrain to whiterock and that's if you catch the infrequent bus perfectly on time. And that's if it doesn't get slowed down like every other bus.

And it's not because I live here, it's because I freaking pay a boatload of taxes and get slim to nothing in return for it, and it's about to get even worse.

Ergo, lets agree to disagree, and seperate the south fraser municipalities from translink, and then if we bitch about not having enough transit we can raise our taxes and do something about it. Right now, even a massive tax increase wouldn't get any kind of rapid transit between the town centres here it would just go to another priority on the other side of the river.

I have seen the plans for the King George busway and had to actually include HOV lanes for the damn thing TEN FREAKING YEARS AGO and yet still not a sniff of the actual bus even let alone the bus lane that was supposed to go with it.

P.S. You could up capacity on the B-line dramatically by simply eliminating the parking along the corridor and making it into bus only lanes. Heck, just do it during rush hour as a compromise and you will get much higher efficiently out of the system at very low capital cost with very high return on investment.

Archived