The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Issues when the new Port Mann opens...

Bossy

I could live somewhere else but there's still the simple matter of getting over the river one way or the other.

The fault of the no transit south of Fraser? Translink! Want me to find the money?

Don't build the last two stations of the evergreen line. Only need to build it as far as the west coast express station. The area to the west of that isn't exactly dense and can simply be fed by buses.

More than enough left over to at least provide rapid bus service down King George and Fraser Highway.

But that's not a priority. THAT'S THE PROBLEM.

You could give Translink the three billion dollars it's costing for port mann highway 1 and it would turn around and use it to build transit out to UBC, which is it's next priority.

Transit south of the fraser is never a priority. Only taxing it.

It's a mish mash.

You think it matters though?

What's the better business case, rapid bus down King George and Fraser Highway or a subway to UBC? The UBC line already has enough riders on the bus line to justify the rapid transit.

What's the better business case, raising transit fares or taxing and tolling drivers?

So long as the south fraser municipalities are part of translink they will always loose the business case. It won't matter who is in charge any government is going to do the same thing.

The only solution is to cut the region in half which is being done anyways through the tolls. At least then we will know that if our taxes are being jacked up we might benefit from it.

If there was a south fraser regional transit district I would have no problem paying extra taxes to install transit.

Problem right now is that transit funding has been increasing left right and centre with the lions share of the taxes coming from south residents and the ovewheming majority (hello evergreen line) going to the north residents. Even if they increased taxes even more even the future priorities are still on the other side of the river.

Oh, and raising taxes in a region that is going broke because of the low wages and rediculous cost of living will go over like a lead balloon.

Translink should just expand the Skytrain down Fraser Highway into Langley. Get the government to do a 50/50 payment plan or something like that. Hell, even if that's too expensive, even light rail transit would be great. The amount of people that will use it from Langley to Surrey CTRL would be crazy. I mean, the 502 is ALWAYS super busy... no seats, always filled to the brim. Should do it now rather than later, because we're only going to get bigger...

On a different, HOW the hell can translink even justify the Evergreen line? Last I checked, Coquitlem has like 1/5th the population of Surrey.. not even including Langley. Rediculous.

Translink should just expand the Skytrain down Fraser Highway into Langley. Get the government to do a 50/50 payment plan or something like that. Hell, even if that's too expensive, even light rail transit would be great. The amount of people that will use it from Langley to Surrey CTRL would be crazy. I mean, the 502 is ALWAYS super busy... no seats, always filled to the brim. Should do it now rather than later, because we're only going to get bigger...

Close to half the residents are paying property tax and we certainly pay a lot more gas tax per capita (one of translinks biggest funding sources) so it's hardly a stretch to assume we're responsible for at least half the funding.

Broke regions don't spend billions on highways. It's the province spending it and make no mistake with the toll they will make all their money back and then some. I would happily buy shares in that particular funding arrangment!

Either way it's safe to say the people south of the river are subsidising people on the north of the river.

If we were to have our own transit authority it would be pretty clear IMO.

Just wait until the chaos sets in and people start getting their tolling bills and watch how fast people south of the river will begin to start demanding it. Almost time to start spamming the mayors......

Road and highway expansion is not only happening in SOTF. Transit expansion IS only happening NOTF. Do you need a picture drawn with crayon?

This isn't cars vs transit as you seem to want to make it. It's North vs South. Right now the South is getting royally screwed. They WANT transit but aren't in a million years getting it under the current system. SOTF right now exists as a cash cow to NOTF transit expansion.

Hear hear!

I personally prefer a "pull White Rock out of translink" (What are they going to do, stop the bus on the border and move the white rock exchange to Surrey? :lol: ) but I would be more than happy to sign your "new south of fraser regional district" one.

They might say they own the water but we own the sewage treatment plant if the north wants to play hardball. (Except in White rock where we have our own water just need to build a sewage treatment plant and we can be in the "your a regional district" regional district).

Hear hear!

I personally prefer a "pull White Rock out of translink" (What are they going to do, stop the bus on the border and move the white rock exchange to Surrey? :lol: ) but I would be more than happy to sign your "new south of fraser regional district" one.

They might say they own the water but we own the sewage treatment plant if the north wants to play hardball. (Except in White rock where we have our own water just need to build a sewage treatment plant and we can be in the "your a regional district" regional district).

Road and highway expansion is not only happening in SOTF. Transit expansion IS only happening NOTF. Do you need a picture drawn with crayon?

This isn't cars vs transit as you seem to want to make it. It's North vs South. Right now the South is getting royally screwed. They WANT transit but aren't in a million years getting it under the current system. SOTF right now exists as a cash cow to NOTF transit expansion.

Hear hear!

Archived